Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

Tinuva

The Magician
Talking about the zigbee issues where devices drop off. I changed my setup to have 2 sonoff extenders sitting next to each other instead of about 6m apart as I used to, and I have not had a issue where devices drop off for a month now.
That is exactly what I plan to do.

Took me a long time to figure out where I want to place my zigbee routers to reach all the ends of the house. Staying in a U shaped house doesn't make things easy.

Vades

I'm wanting to add some door/window sensors to my home, for integration into Home Assistant but have not yet installed or have any experience with Zigbee devices. Other sensors will follow, temp, motion etc.

I'm keen to get the Aqara Door Window sensors, but have a few questions.

1. I see Homekit is heavily mentioned with Aqara. I have no Apple devices, but do use Alexa. From what I am reading I shouldn't have any issues integrating into my existing setup, right?

2. I need a Zigbee hub. Saw THIS one on Takealot. Any advice or alternatives before I get it?

Any other aspects to consider before I go down this path?

Vades

Veroland

Executive Member
Thanks - so the Aqara hub only works with Aqara devices... could be a deal breaker for me as I may want to check out Zigbee devices from other manufacturers too.
I have some zigbee aqara devices working in my sonoff hub running tasmota

gbyleveldt

Expert Member
Eish. Zigbee put me off home automation. Worked great in the beginning but I have to re-add sensors whenever I reboot HA. I just gave up...

Sparkz0629

Expert Member
If you are going the zigbee route, i highly recommend using zigbee2mqtt

Slightly more diy, but sure works a treat and has been super stable for myself.

And on the plus, no chinese hub calling home all the time.

Vades

If you are going the zigbee route, i highly recommend using zigbee2mqtt

Slightly more diy, but sure works a treat and has been super stable for myself.

And on the plus, no chinese hub calling home all the time.

I'm just dipping my finger into the home automation thing, with very no coding experience and little technical IT knowledge. When I see DIY in this context, I start to sweat a bit. :)

Vades

I have more questions on various HA aspects/integrations. Not sure whether to litter this thread or start new, separate topics.

When I see some of the stuff going on in this thread, it is far more advanced than the supposedly basic queries I have.

ItherNiT

I have more questions on various HA aspects/integrations. Not sure whether to litter this thread or start new, separate topics.

When I see some of the stuff going on in this thread, it is far more advanced than the supposedly basic queries I have.
Ask away if we can help, we will.

MidnightZA

Expert Member

Ask away here. The questions may benefit others and more people follow this thread so you most likely get better answers here

Stuey74

I finally got around to doing some work this week on my setup. Had 2 TH16's with DS18B20 probes already, one in the freezer, one inside the house and one outside. But running stock firmware - ewelink into Sonoff LAN. All my other Sonoff's are flashed with ESP home so decided to flash these as well. As easy as copying the existing yaml from the R2's and modifying for that particular setup. Took me a bit to get the freezer alarm working, have temperature points that switch on and off the TH16, connected to an old USB phone charger and then a buzzer. We have had issues with the freezer door being left open in the past. Then I had 3 DS18B20 sensors with no probes, the original plan was to attach these to a Pi (got that working) then feed to HA via MQTT, etc. In the end I decided to attach the DS18B20's to some Sonoff Basics flashed with ESP. Worked immediately into HA without all the other routes, and with an extra device - the Pi, in the loop as well. So for R50 you can add the DS18B20 to any Sonoff giving you a temperature reading as well as the on/off function in the case of a basic. Have another DS18B20 left I want to attach to a POW and an R2 to confirm it works. Now I have some nice graphs in Grafana, ESP home feeds nicely into InfluxDB and cards on my overview to monitor all the fridges/freezers and environmental temperatures around the place. I was experiencing some info loss from Sonoff LAN into InfluxDB hence the desire to get it all from ESP home. Also moved from a Pi 4 to an old Dell R210II server, much quicker feel to the app response and definitely quicker in updating/backups. Was able to update all the ESP devices at once whereas before could do 3 before it stopped responding.

Vades

Ask away here. The questions may benefit others and more people follow this thread so you most likely get better answers here

Great!

So the first issue I have is the following:

1642155065290.png

Yes, I've Googled etc. but still do not see a clear resolution for what appears to be quite a common issue.

Second question has to do with integrating my Xiaomi vacuum mop (SKV4093GL) to HA. Also unclear how to do it.

Third, I bought a couple of Wyze cams before I decided to go the HA route and since discovered that integration is not possible. I want more cameras - would appreciate suggestions.

Lastly, garage door and gate automation. Gate motor is ET with DC500 V5 board. Garage is a Digidoor II. Is it as simple as getting two Sonoff Gate / Garage Wifi smart switches (DC12V/5-32V) and wiring them in?

w1tw0lf

Expert Member
View attachment 1226882

Yes, I've Googled etc. but still do not see a clear resolution for what appears to be quite a common issue.
My Samsung tv(older model) is doing the exact same and not sure why, have given up and tried various solutions. Currently using, SamsungTV Smart(https://github.com/ollo69/ha-samsungtv-smart) via HACS and seem to be to be the more stable one. It use a combination of smarthings an local access to the tv
Third, I bought a couple of Wyze cams before I decided to go the HA route and since discovered that integration is not possible. I want more cameras - would appreciate suggestions.
As for wyze cams, also have two and using the rtsp firmware(https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP) with the motioneye addon and works as needed.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I think it's just called Samsung Smart TV.

I think I used that previously and removed it for the same reason.
I switched over to the smartthings integration and it works quite nicely.

1642157709930.png