Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

alqassam

Expert Member
Each one individually

And they can run automations

I also just found out HA app on Android has widgets

Doom5003

Thanks a bunch.
Ill be going the Smart house route in the coming months and replacing most if not all light switches with these is where ill start.
Just have to take a look at the wiring of the current switches if they have neutrals or not .

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
OMW, just upgraded home assistant's Hardware to Pi4 4 gig (from Pi 3 1gig)

Worth it!! Would recommend the spend, might be imagination but it even feels more responsive than my Virtual Box's dev/test Image, and thats running on a Intel i7

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
OMW, just upgraded home assistant's Hardware to Pi4 4 gig (from Pi 3 1gig)

Worth it!! Would recommend the spend, might be imagination but it even feels more responsive than my Virtual Box's dev/test Image, and thats running on a Intel i7
Nah, virtualbox has to be faster. Moved from pi3 to running on laptop (virtual box) - it's loads fast , is fast and more stable than my pi3. But then again I did start from scratch which must help

ebendl

Expert Member
I moved mine from a Pi 3b+ + SSD to an 5th gen i5 + SSD.

Amazing speed difference, and it was much simpler to do than I thought it would be too!

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Nah, virtualbox has to be faster. Moved from pi3 to running on laptop (virtual box) - it's loads fast , is fast and more stable than my pi3. But then again I did start from scratch which must help

Suspect that might be part of my gain as well as I started fresh when I move from SD to SSD USB

I moved mine from a Pi 3b+ + SSD to an 5th gen i5 + SSD.

Amazing speed difference, and it was much simpler to do than I thought it would be too!

Why move to PC? Except for losing access to Bluetooth they also consume way more power, well unless you have a PC that always on for other reasons.

Anyway, my PC VM is on normal HD vs Pi4 running on SSD USB so that might be related

The whole migration did cost me a bundle but I feel its money well spend as I can clearly see a speed increase in both UI and remote commands.

Attachments

• system.jpg
    system.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 42

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
For me, pi3 became too slow and I wanted faster performance. My old laptop (i7/16gb ram with 512gb SSD and another 1TB) seemed perfect. Also with virtualbox, now I can make copies of the VM before big changes and DR too. Also as it now runs 24/7 uses less energy too - battery not charging so often I guess . Change between swapping out pi and laptop seems to be 10w. Also the i7 as a Plex server for transcoding makes more sense so Plex runs on laptop but not inside Hass instance.

Edit : one change I need to make on laptop is to remove it from Windows insider program and also figure out how to block updates , because it's irritating to find the PC at boot screen sometimes. As I have encryption on drive , I need to enter a PW on boot. Won't remove the encryption as the Laptop has too much sensitive information and if we're to get swiped , I could be in a world of hurt ,

ebendl

Expert Member
Suspect that might be part of my gain as well as I started fresh when I move from SD to SSD USB

Why move to PC? Except for losing access to Bluetooth they also consume way more power, well unless you have a PC that always on for other reasons.

Anyway, my PC VM is on normal HD vs Pi4 running on SSD USB so that might be related

The whole migration did cost me a bundle but I feel its money well spend as I can clearly see a speed increase in both UI and remote commands.

I was running the PC in any case -- it processes my camera feeds, looking for persons (as per https://github.com/blakeblackshear/frigate/)

That and the Pi was booting from the SSD which wasn't quite reliable. It would boot once every 5 power cycles.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Any one know of a cheap thermometer that works with Home Assistant.

I know Sonoff plugs and such, but wonder if there isn't a cheaper option to simply get a Temp reading/history. Looking for 2 maybe 3 rooms

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
Does anyone know of a decent electrician in PE that's on top of installing sonoffs/shellys/etc?

Chevauxza

Has anyone managed to get their Xiaomi Vacuum Mop Pro or the Xiaomi 1C vacuum connected to their Home Assistant? I have got the token but the standard integration doesn't work and neither does the alternative one (found here). I'd like to control the vacuum via HA but all I get when adding it is an entity which says it has no unique ID and shows no detail under it. Also not wanting to flash it with other software.

Nimz

Executive Member
Howzit Gents

I installed HA on my Pi 3B (64GB Samsung EVO memory card) over the weekend.

I'm having some issues whereby I cannot login to HA (https://xxxx.duckdns.org:8123/) or my UniFi controller remotely - The Pi is still powered on and connected (I'm currently at work)

So I'm not sure what's causing it to be inaccessible - had the same issue with it locally yesterday and after pulling the power on the Pi and restarting, it worked again.

Could the problem be with the Pi itself being too old?
Would it be advisable to upgrade to a Pi 4 and SSD or move it to a VM (I have a decent spec pc but not running it 24/7 due to power consumption)

Thanks

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Running mine under Hyper-V on my old laptop, with its SSD it loads up super fast.
Im not sure if its different on the Pi4 but the 3B+ wasnt able to run the VSCode addon which I use quite a lot and was the motivation to move to a virtualized host.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Howzit Gents

I'm having some issues whereby I cannot login to HA (https://xxxx.duckdns.org:8123/) or my UniFi controller remotely - The Pi is still powered on and connected (I'm currently at work)

So I'm not sure what's causing it to be inaccessible - had the same issue with it locally yesterday and after pulling the power on the Pi and restarting, it worked again.

Would it be advisable to upgrade to a Pi 4 and SSD or move it to a VM (I have a decent spec pc but not running it 24/7 due to power consumption)

Thanks
I used to get a lot of those random issues and most were down to the memory card.
It always required a power cycle to get it working again.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Howzit Gents

Thanks

Also had issues with Dynamic DNS and thats after playing around with firewall rules and such
So ended using Zerotier, so do not know if it was a firewall issue or what but I got it to work with the latter.

Simple to set as well simply install ZeroTier on both HassIO and your PC/Laptop

Goto Supervisor/Add-On Store
Zero.jpg

Then download Zerotier on PC from https://www.zerotier.com/download/

Head on over to https://my.zerotier.com/ and proceed to set up a private Vlan, give both PC and HassIO access on the private Network.

If both devices has internet they will be able to connect to each other as if they on the same lan hub.
Some firewalls like PF sense needs a new rule for this:

firewall.jpg

Edit: the bonus of using Zerotier solution is I dont have to have 2 bookmarks as the same url work at home and away

hassiourl.jpg

Last edited:

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Also had issues with Dynamic DNS and thats after playing around with firewall rules and such
So ended using Zerotier, so do not know if it was a firewall issue or what but I got it to work with the latter.

View attachment 935434

Head on over to https://my.zerotier.com/ and proceed to set up a private Vlan, give both PC and HassIO access on the private Network.

If both devices has internet they will be able to connect to each other as if they on the same lan hub.

View attachment 935442

Edit: the bonus of using Zerotier solution is I dont have to have 2 bookmarks as the same url work at home and away

View attachment 935448
If you use nginx ,then u can use the public fqdn on both internal and external networks. Mines is setup like this and works very well.

gbyleveldt

View attachment 935434

View attachment 935442

View attachment 935448

Thanks for that; I battled to get ZeroTier working.

I ended up using HA Cloud for remote access and for Alexa integration. But it's not free of course (although I actually don't mind paying the $5 monthly to support the HA developers).