Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

alqassam

Expert Member
What do you guys use to get notification if your Home Assistant\Network is unreachable? for when the cat\child or dog pulls out a cable somewhere.
I don't but this could be useful. Let me know what you pick up

McGuywer

Executive Member
Which Home Assistant install type do you guys recommend? This is for a VM in the cloud.

n00bster

Which Home Assistant install type do you guys recommend? This is for a VM in the cloud.
I would not install it in the cloud since the biggest plus for HA is to have all your stuff working on LAN with no internet. I have only ever used HA OS and works for me.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Tend to agree, what's your reasoning for wanting a cloud installation?

Internet goes down and you're screwed. (whether its via load-shedding, ISP, etc, etc.).

Also, my HA instance generates quite significant traffic with everything going through it - a factor to consider.

I would not install it in the cloud since the biggest plus for HA is to have all your stuff working on LAN with no internet. I have

Tinuva

The Magician
You also loose access to all integrations using lan discovery.

I guess it depends on use case.

McGuywer

Executive Member
@n00bster @xrapidx @Tinuva
I am struggling to get a Pi to run HA off.
I had a look at what it will cost to run a PC 24/7 with the high electricity prices and figured a VM would be cheaper.

I hear what you are saying about the internet dropping and LAN discovery.
I figured I could run my Macbook 24/7 (with Docker) but not sure what the cost would be? (Electricity wise).
The Macbook is a "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)"

Speedster

Honorary Master
I had a look at what it will cost to run a PC 24/7 with the high electricity prices and figured a VM would be cheaper.

I figured I could run my Macbook 24/7 (with Docker) but not sure what the cost would be? (Electricity wise).
Nuc are more easily accessible than Pi currently

Tinuva

The Magician

I recommend a NUC. At most they draw 40w (usually less, 40w is when CPU stuckk at 100%) which is the same or less than your Macbook.

The macbook could work, but could have fun with it going into sleep etc and stuff.

Tinuva

The Magician
Also, with the NUC, easier to get SSD storage, it has more power and you can upgrade the ram usually to 32 or 64GB even if you want to run other stuff on it too later.

A pi is great to play with, but for serious home assistant use, you can't use an sd card, it will corrupt and break every x months. So you would have to add SSD adapter or USB storage and stuff.

Just better to start out with a NUC considering Pi shortage.

Gielie01

Im curious what your estimation is on running a PC 24/7 and what you based your calculations on?

Tinuva

The Magician
spinning rust is what add to power consumption on pcs. You want that sweet sweet ssd storage.

I know this, because I used to have an i3 running with 12 disks for storage. When I started working on running it on a UPS for loadshedding is when I realised....

Now storage is in cloud and HA run on a NUC. Far far less power usage. In fact, less than my macbookpro which also powers a screen.

McGuywer

Executive Member
Im curious what your estimation is on running a PC 24/7 and what you based your calculations on?
I had a look at the specs, i3, 2x HDD, 210 Geforce Graphics, figured at best case 80watt per hour.
80watt per hour * 24 = 1920watt / 1.92 units
1.92 Units * 30 days = 57,6 units per month.
57,6 units * R2,85 price per unit = R164,16 per month.

R160 odd rand per month does not seem like a lot but at the moment, "my budget" (automations, gadgets, not the household items) is very tight. A VM costs R75 per month, so I figured that is not too bad.
I know I need to change the HDDs to a SSD in the PC, that would make a difference. Also it will help with Loadshedding just switching off the PC. Perhaps I must look at that.

The R2,85 per unit is from this months Tshwane bill:
1323 KWH = R3766,25 (including VAT).
R3766,25 / 1323 = R2.84674981104

xrapidx

Honorary Master
spinning rust is what add to power consumption on pcs. You want that sweet sweet ssd storage.

I know this, because I used to have an i3 running with 12 disks for storage. When I started working on running it on a UPS for loadshedding is when I realised....

Now storage is in cloud and HA run on a NUC. Far far less power usage. In fact, less than my macbookpro which also powers a screen.
I must actually check that, my server cabinet uses the most electricity below the geysers (more than the pool in summer).

At the moment, the cabinet only has various switches, a HP Gen8 microserver with SSD - and then the NAS with 8 drives. I've been suspecting for awhile the power consumption is the NAS.

Tinuva

The Magician
I must actually check that, my server cabinet uses the most electricity below the geysers (more than the pool in summer).

At the moment, the cabinet only has various switches, a HP Gen8 microserver with SSD - and then the NAS with 8 drives. I've been suspecting for awhile the power consumption is the NAS.
Oh yeah, if they spinning 24/7 that will add up.

My NAS is now limited to 2x drives in raid1.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Oh yeah, if they spinning 24/7 that will add up.

My NAS is now limited to 2x drives in raid1.

I have 22 odd TB used (RAID6)I need to go through - with 20 years of data - and its a mess, but that's the plan once done.

gbyleveldt

Expert Member
My servers and network rack draws on average 300W. All. The. Time. That's a big chunk of my monthly usage right there. Can't imagine where to start getting that low enough to be worthwhile while still having the same functionality.

furpile

Expert Member
I am thinking of getting a smart speaker for my wife. Mainly to play Youtube Music. Which speakers are recommended? I was thinking to get one of the Google ones, seeing as Youtube Music is the main goal. But if it works well I might integrate it into HA as well for some extra functionality.

Mzezman

I am thinking of getting a smart speaker for my wife. Mainly to play Youtube Music. Which speakers are recommended? I was thinking to get one of the Google ones, seeing as Youtube Music is the main goal. But if it works well I might integrate it into HA as well for some extra functionality.
We use a couple of Google home minis around the house - works great with no issues and is integrated into HA, e.g. when loadshedding starts there is an automation that plays on all the speakers to let the household know to conserve power etc

Edit: if you're not particular you can buy some refurbished ones from geewiz for a couple hundred bucks