Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

n00bster

any MQTT experts that can help me please. I have flashed a 2 Channel Relay with Tasmota and now want to use the GPIO14 with a door contact to read the status of the gate.

I have seen some videos on the MQTT topics but don't think they apply to my config since I have 2 relays and want to use the GPOI14 as switch.

any one that can help with the correct MQTT setting to make sure the switch is separate from the relays? and what the config will look like to add it on a card. Already have the 2 Relays sorted and in HA.

deesef

Expert Member
any MQTT experts that can help me please. I have flashed a 2 Channel Relay with Tasmota and now want to use the GPIO14 with a door contact to read the status of the gate.

I have seen some videos on the MQTT topics but don't think they apply to my config since I have 2 relays and want to use the GPOI14 as switch.

any one that can help with the correct MQTT setting to make sure the switch is separate from the relays? and what the config will look like to add it on a card. Already have the 2 Relays sorted and in HA.
I use ESPHome, but I think that Tasmota would have similar naming conventions. You would probably need to configure GPIO14 as a sensor (binary sensor) if you want to use it as an input device, not as a switch.

Steijn1

I hope someone with first hand experience can give me some direction please.

I have HA and a number of sonoff sensors running without cloud.

I would like to add outdoor PIR sensors and cameras.

What would you recommend?
Yale, EZVIZ, Philips Hue, Ajax?

I would like to keep this out of the cloud as far as possible.

Thank you

Speedster

Honorary Master

Thank you
Do you have an existing alarm system?

furpile

Expert Member

Thank you
As Speedster says you can get the sensors from certain alarm systems into HA. I just did it with Paradox and their IP150 module. Going to use some of the internal PIR's for lights as well.

For camera's you can add anything that has RTSP or ONVIF. I use Reolink cameras that are good value for money. They are monitored with Blue Iris and Deepstack for AI detection. I also have it set up to send me a snapshot of the cameras when the alarm system is triggered.

MidnightZA

Expert Member

Thank you

Your best bet for outdoor PIR would probably be a Paradox alarm system.
It integrates with HA quite nicely and can be done locally. It takes a fair bit of fiddling to get it just right but once its done you wont have to touch it again.

For cameras I have no experience. Id also like to know

Steijn1

As Speedster says you can get the sensors from certain alarm systems into HA. I just did it with Paradox and their IP150 module. Going to use some of the internal PIR's for lights as well.

For camera's you can add anything that has RTSP or ONVIF. I use Reolink cameras that are good value for money. They are monitored with Blue Iris and Deepstack for AI detection. I also have it set up to send me a snapshot of the cameras when the alarm system is triggered.
Awesome. I was thinking of Paradox.
Will investigate

Would also like to hear any other suggestions.

Steijn1

Your best bet for outdoor PIR would probably be a Paradox alarm system.
It integrates with HA quite nicely and can be done locally. It takes a fair bit of fiddling to get it just right but once its done you wont have to touch it again.

For cameras I have no experience. Id also like to know
2 votes for Paradox.

Thank you

wab512

Not sure if it's the best option around (others can chime in), but I simply integrated my DSC alarm in HA. Was very easy and super cheap.
Can you maybe share some details of how you did this? I moved into a house with an old DSC Alarm, but I have not even turned it on... Would love to integrate into HA if possible..

n00bster

I use ESPHome, but I think that Tasmota would have similar naming conventions. You would probably need to configure GPIO14 as a sensor (binary sensor) if you want to use it as an input device, not as a switch.
all the tutorials I have seen online all get configured as a switch. On or off Open\Close. This works but I am trying to figure out my config because there are more than 1 relay and I am using 1 GPIO14 switch. I have found a good guide on Github about the Tasmota console commands to decouple the switches from the relays. Busy trying some stuff. Hopefully get it working.

Dolby

Honorary Master
So I'm getting super frustrated with this sub par CBI Astute timer and maybe I'll check out HA.

So, what is the most end user PI model I must get to get everything working?

Tinuva

The Magician
So I'm getting super frustrated with this sub par CBI Astute timer and maybe I'll check out HA.

So, what is the most end user PI model I must get to get everything working?
I recommend a mini pc over a Pi.

Go here: https://www.takealot.com/computers/mini-pc-27164?sort=Price Ascending

Choose one that fit your budget best, however if you can, try at minimum to get the Intel NUC.

You will thank me later, when it just works with HA without SD cards corrupting etc. By the time you have a SSD on your Pi and got over the Pi stock availability issues, not to mention all the additional stuff like power adapter case, etc you need just to turn it on, you might as well have paid for the NUC.

rrh

Expert Member

Choose one that fit your budget best, however if you can, try at minimum to get the Intel NUC.

You will thank me later, when it just works with HA without SD cards corrupting etc. By the time you have a SSD on your Pi and got over the Pi stock availability issues, not to mention all the additional stuff like power adapter case, etc you need just to turn it on, you might as well have paid for the NUC.
You can also look at refurbished hardware, generally ranges from R2.5K for a thin client / SFF desktop with 4GB RAM / 256GB hard drive etc.

Dolby

Honorary Master

Thanks!

rrh

Expert Member
You can also look at refurbished hardware, generally ranges from R2.5K for a thin client / SFF desktop with 4GB RAM / 256GB hard drive etc.
Laptops are more expensive, but can eliminate the load-shedding problem !