Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thanks.

Thought I just downloaded and Bob Was my Uncle!

I'll check out the video soon

If you don’t want to keep windows and just use the PC the Intel NUC (Now called Generic X86 I think) will do.

The problem is you need to expand it onto the native storage and that’s where it gets hard.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Anyone used these Tuya switches? Does it work with localtuya?

I don’t yet but was planning to get some from…

https://henractech.co.za/ category/smart-home/lighting-control/

To test, but if your link has better shipping options will try them instead.

I gave up on Localtuya after the recent V4 upgrade and the inability to test or even delete devices without reinstalling the whole thing.

Just got the official Tuya V2 integration and it was point and click so much less painful which is why I’m looking at these switches now.

Mzezman

Expert Member
Does anyone use smoke detectors with HA? Or is it better to just use the stand alone versions?
Also keen to get into this... was looking into the Tuya based ones. The Tuya kit is more stable than the sonoff in my network for some reason. Also pulled into HA using the V2 integration

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I don’t yet but was planning to get some from…

https://henractech.co.za/ category/smart-home/lighting-control/

To test, but if your link has better shipping options will try them instead.

I gave up on Localtuya after the recent V4 upgrade and the inability to test or even delete devices without reinstalling the whole thing.

Just got the official Tuya V2 integration and it was point and click so much less painful which is why I’m looking at these switches now.

I'm still on v3.5 for local tuya.
I had the V2 official tuya a while ago and my CBI geyser switch was very inconsistent since it never connect locally. It always connected to cloud.

As for the link I posted, that guy has a store/pick up point somewhere in jhb or free shipping over R1500.

I spoke to him via WhatsApp and a call the other day. Seems like a good guy. The reviews of his site and support seem positive but I'm still on the fence about ordering from an unknown store that I can't physically collect the items.

deesef

Expert Member
Think this is going to be awesome intergration and some diy smart speakers. Would be awesome to get them available here.

The idea is good, but the heading of that video is grossly misleading. Nothing is being built! An existing system is simply flashed with other firmware

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm still on v3.5 for local tuya.
I had the V2 official tuya a while ago and my CBI geyser switch was very inconsistent since it never connect locally. It always connected to cloud.

As for the link I posted, that guy has a store/pick up point somewhere in jhb or free shipping over R1500.

I spoke to him via WhatsApp and a call the other day. Seems like a good guy. The reviews of his site and support seem positive but I'm still on the fence about ordering from an unknown store that I can't physically collect the items.

I wouldn’t call them unknown.

I haven’t t personally bought there but know others who have.

But yeah I plan to get a few testers and then commit to a big order not because I worry about the store but rather the product.

As for the integration the manual setup of power monitoring sensors is the biggest pain.

Be very weary of upgrading to 4.0.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I wouldn’t call them unknown.

I haven’t t personally bought there but know others who have.

But yeah I plan to get a few testers and then commit to a big order not because I worry about the store but rather the product.

As for the integration the manual setup of power monitoring sensors is the biggest pain.

I only found them in a south africa home automation facrbook page. But it's good to know that you know people who have bought from there.

I actually have a cart of R1800 waiting for past few days. I think I'll go ahead with the checkout

I don't think I'll update to 4.0. Thanks for the head up

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I only found them in a south africa home automation facrbook page. But it's good to know that you know people who have bought from there.

I actually have a cart of R1800 waiting for past few days. I think I'll go ahead with the checkout

I don't think I'll update to 4.0. Thanks for the head up

I think it wouldn’t have been such an issue for me if my upgrade just worked but I had some very bizarre IPv6 connectivity issue to GitHub.

So upon fresh installing setting up all the power monitoring sensors by hand just made me want to kill myself.

Steijn1

Does anyone use smoke detectors with HA? Or is it better to just use the stand alone versions?
I have 3 home built MQ2 sensors on D1 Mini that I built as an experiment, but I found the readings to be all over the place.
Still going to try and calibrate them to improve the results.
This is an experiment. Better than no smoke sensors at all but to be trusted with much caution.

Tinuva

The Magician
Wouldn't it be easier to add a smoke sensor to your alarm system? That way you buying something that should work solid and since my alarm system is on HA it should be easy to use,

ItherNiT

I have 2 Tuya wifi one's, but I couldn't get them to work with tuya local. They do work with the tuya cloud in HA. I'll probably replace them with zigbee ones down the line.

1655961967247.png

w1tw0lf

Expert Member
The idea is good, but the heading of that video is grossly misleading. Nothing is being built! An existing system is simply flashed with other firmware

It is the 1st open source compatible speakers. There is even a board that you can buy to build with your own speakers.

Tinuva

The Magician
Hmm interesting. 3.5 is a time ticking bomb though.

Since I have my config on github auto checked against both release, beta and dev versions of home assistant, I noticed the following warning:
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 09.13.15.png

So it looks like either need to go the 4.0 route or perhaps wait a few weeks for any teething issues to be sorted, but upgrading will have to happen before October release or moving to built-in integration.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Last night load shedding 9 - 11PM
1656322967197.png

This morning load shedding 6 - 8AM
1656322863348.png

This is the voltage of my alarm battery that also powers my Pi that runs HA. I only connected it up yesterday. Its a 12V 7Ah battery.

Last night my battery maintained a voltage above 12.5 for the whole duration of the load shedding.

This morning it kept at a stable 12.5 for about 1.5 hrs, then a sharp drop to 11.2V.

Any idea what could cause that? Same load on the battery (just alarm and Pi), the battery is just over a year old and it has never dropped below 12V except today. I would assume the battery health is still good.

I had unfortunate load shedding times yesterday and today. 7 hours between (Richards Bay has a stupid load shedding schedule). Could the battery not have has sufficient time to charge?

wab512

Last night load shedding 9 - 11PM
View attachment 1336434

This morning load shedding 6 - 8AM
View attachment 1336430

This is the voltage of my alarm battery that also powers my Pi that runs HA. I only connected it up yesterday. Its a 12V 7Ah battery.

Last night my battery maintained a voltage above 12.5 for the whole duration of the load shedding.

This morning it kept at a stable 12.5 for about 1.5 hrs, then a sharp drop to 11.2V.

Any idea what could cause that? Same load on the battery (just alarm and Pi), the battery is just over a year old and it has never dropped below 12V except today. I would assume the battery health is still good.

I had unfortunate load shedding times yesterday and today. 7 hours between (Richards Bay has a stupid load shedding schedule). Could the battery not have has sufficient time to charge?
My guess would be that it did not have enough time to fully recharge. Lead Acid batteries takes a long time to fully charge (12 - 16 hours). Did you perhaps have load shedding the day before, or earlier yesterday as well?

MidnightZA

Expert Member
My guess would be that it did not have enough time to fully recharge. Lead Acid batteries takes a long time to fully charge (12 - 16 hours). Did you perhaps have load shedding the day before, or earlier yesterday as well?

Friday was 16:00 to 18:00
Saturday was 18:30 to 20:30
Sunday was 21:00 to 23:00

Each area moves 1 time slot the next day. So we usually have 24.5 hours between each shedding. Except when we reach the 23:00 slot. Then we move back to the 6:00 slot and the cycle continues

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
You need something else to power the pi, I wouldnt attach it to my alarm battery. Even worse, the alarm batteries doesn't last even without a pi on it, just the alarm alone.

Perhaps look at something similar to what people use for their routers etc, which runs on lithium batteries.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
You need something else to power the pi, I wouldnt attach it to my alarm battery. Even worse, the alarm batteries doesn't last even without a pi on it, just the alarm alone.

Perhaps look at something similar to what people use for their routers etc, which runs on lithium batteries.

I have a gizzu for my ONT and router and I have a sherlo 6.4amp psu with a 12V 18Ah battery for some backup lights and 2 cameras. But both are far from my Pi and alarm.

The alarm battery was the closest power supply to the Pi. I was considering getting a drop in lithium battery for my alarm

MidnightZA

Expert Member

Anyone used these Tuya switches? Does it work with localtuya?

The answer is yes, it does work with localtuya.

Installed my first smart switch yesterday. Really linking the touch panel switches, but I can see why it isnt for everyone. It takes a bit of getting used to.

I can also recommend ISP Home Auto, the guy provides excellent service.