Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

w1tw0lf

Debian in my opinion. They just need to update the supervisor to support the new docker. Said it will be done after conference. Rest work as needed.

The git link above has the work around and this is the best guide to have no issues at all.

ebendl

Expert Member
Yeah except that installing additional software makes it an unsupported instance in any case. Somebody mentioned if you install OpenSSH it becomes an unsupported OS...

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Yeah except that installing additional software makes it an unsupported instance in any case. Somebody mentioned if you install OpenSSH it becomes an unsupported OS...
Yup, hence why it's better to run in a VM (IMHO) ... actually is very stable and the ability to keep backups of the whole VM before doing major upgrades gives such peace of mind

w1tw0lf

Nope, i have openssh and it doesn't complain about being unsupported os. If you follow the guide I shared as I did, no issues at all.

They also released a beta supervisor(2020.12.7) that sorts the docker issue. Also need to update docker to 20.10.1.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Hi Guys,
I have managed to get a Neutral wire installed on all my light switches.
Now I need to decide which Smart Light switch I should use. I thinking of Sonoff T2 light switches but if you guys know of cheaper or better smart light switches.

Your suggestions & recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Check Qualitel

based on Tuya Smart Life app, IF you can get them. I am using them except for 3 way TreatLife switch (very nice tactile feel) which also use Tuya Smartlife.

But many are using Sonoffs.

I need neutrals on another 2 x light switches.

Other light switches not really necessary.

Then there are funny light switches (built into door frames) where I have to use Qualitel smart bulbs as standard wifi light switches too big. Hoping to try out some switch covers (instead of tape) to stop pressing off switches.

Concentric

for those of you interested in tracking your buffalo packages (as well as a another 600+ couriers),
ive created an addon for the tracktry api.
I wasnt a huge fan of track17s implementation, as i couldn't add new packages via hass and you have to do it through the website.
Aftership doesnt support buffalo.

If anyone want to check it out and let me know of any bugs: https://github.com/Concentricc/tracktry
Ive also created this automation to notify of changes for those using appdaemon:
Python:
class PackageNotifications(hass.Hass):
    def initialize(self):
        self.listen_state(self.state_change, 'sensor.tracktry', attribute = 'trackings')
    def state_change(self, entity, attribute, old, new, kwargs):
        for i in range(len(old)):
            if(old[i] != new[i]):
                package = new[i]
                name = package['name']
                status = package['status']
                lastEvent = package['last_event']
                title = f'{name} update'
                message = f"Status: {status}\nlast update: {lastEvent}"
                self.notify(message = message,title = title)

Kobusdb

so the sonoffs now isolated relay positive and negative go to the two switch terminals furthest right of the six (orientation doesnt matter). and then adjust the jumpers accordingly, for me i would do JMP1 out and JMP2 in.

View attachment 786338
Hi Steamy Tom, you seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject. I would very much appreciate if you could assist me. I have a Merlin M28S. I have a Garage door/gate opener (eWelink) to turn on/off the fence. This already works but the problem is that I don't know the on/off status. The switch I am using also has a reed switch. I was wondering if there is somewhere in the energizer where I can connect the 2 ends of the reed switch to indicate when the energizer is on or off. That way I will know the status in the app. I am not an electronics fundi but do understand the basics. It would be great if there was a way to achieve this. Hope to hear from you. Thanks

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Hi Steamy Tom, you seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject. I would very much appreciate if you could assist me. I have a Merlin M28S. I have a Garage door/gate opener (eWelink) to turn on/off the fence. This already works but the problem is that I don't know the on/off status. The switch I am using also has a reed switch. I was wondering if there is somewhere in the energizer where I can connect the 2 ends of the reed switch to indicate when the energizer is on or off. That way I will know the status in the app. I am not an electronics fundi but do understand the basics. It would be great if there was a way to achieve this. Hope to hear from you. Thanks

Hey, so I will try make sometime tomorrow to look up a manual and options. Are you running home assistant or any type of hub or are you using ewelink app direct?

Kobusdb

Hey, so I will try make sometime tomorrow to look up a manual and options. Are you running home assistant or any type of hub or are you using ewelink app direct?
Hi. I have eWelink to bring my devices into Home assistant using Sonoff AlexxIT. So just need it working in eWelink.
Please let me know if you need any further info on my setup. There surely has to be some sort of way to draw this data off the energizer. Appreciate your help

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Hi. I have eWelink to bring my devices into Home assistant using Sonoff AlexxIT. So just need it working in eWelink.
Please let me know if you need any further info on my setup. There surely has to be some sort of way to draw this data off the energizer. Appreciate your help

so i was taking a look at manuals yesterday and i can't see an obvious way to do this directly off of the unit itself. So i think the next avenue is to ask if your setup has a keypad on the energiser or not?

Also using eWelink through Sonoff AlexxIT are you at all able to see the GPIO pins on the sonoff at all?

Kobusdb

so i was taking a look at manuals yesterday and i can't see an obvious way to do this directly off of the unit itself. So i think the next avenue is to ask if your setup has a keypad on the energiser or not?

Also using eWelink through Sonoff AlexxIT are you at all able to see the GPIO pins on the sonoff at all?
Hi Tom. Yes I do have a keypad. I have opened and taken a picture of the unit and attached. Issue is that the keypad and the unit is not in the same location. Energizer and ewelink switch is in the garage. Keypad is in the kitchen. Any ideas? I just want to be able to tell if the energizer is on or off from the app. Thats it.

Attachments

• garage door opener.jpeg
    garage door opener.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 45

powermzii

Expert Member
I just bought a new house and I am not in the mood to pull neutral everywhere. That is why I tried it.

I ordered some more now.
Will get a couple next week as well as a few bulbs, got the sonoff bulbs and thise work well too. Slowly building up this smart home.

If only Olarm could integrate with HA then id be set

Tinuva

The Magician
One of my latest additions is adding a "feels like" for outside temperature, based on a complex formula and then adding a 'custom:mini-graph-card' with color thresholds to show what the temperature feels like in rainbow colors.

This is what it looks like, bottom left.
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.43.19 PM.png

I have my graph card combined with the weather-forecast card, so in code it looks like this:
Code:
cards:
  - entity: weather.home
    type: weather-forecast
  - break
  - entities:
      - sensor.heat_index
    icon: 'mdi:thermometer'
    legend: true
    name: Outside temperature feels like
    show:
      extrema: true
      icon: true
    type: 'custom:mini-graph-card'
    points_per_hour: 2
    color_thresholds:
      - value: 37
        color: '#7e0001'
      - value: 35
        color: '#9a0000'
      - value: 32
        color: '#d80100'
      - value: 29
        color: '#fe0000'
      - value: 26
        color: '#f46523'
      - value: 24
        color: '#ff9e07'
      - value: 21
        color: '#ffd728'
      - value: 18
        color: '#ffff01'
      - value: 15
        color: '#cdff00'
      - value: 13
        color: '#80ff00'
      - value: 10
        color: '#3ab54a'
      - value: 7
        color: '#05f7f8'
      - value: 4
        color: '#00ccff'
      - value: 2
        color: '#017eff'
      - value: -1
        color: '#0000fe'
      - value: -4
        color: '#1b1464'
      - value: -7
        color: '#662e93'
layout: vertical
min_columns: 1
type: 'custom:layout-card'

and my feels_like.yaml package:
Code:
sensor:
  #Heat index
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      heat_index:
        friendly_name: 'Outside Feels Like'
        #formula taken from http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ama/?n=heatindex
        value_template: >-
          {%- set outside_f = ((states('sensor.outside_temperature')|float * 1.8000)+32.00) -%}
          {% if 112 > outside_f | float > 80 and states('sensor.outside_humidity') | float < 13 %}
            {% set value = (((-42.379 + (2.04901523*(outside_f|float)) + (10.14333127*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.22475541*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00683783*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)) - (0.05481717*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00122874*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00085282*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00000199*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)))-(((13-(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float))/4)*sqrt((17-(((outside_f|float)-95)|abs))/17))) | round(3)) %}
          {% elif 87 > outside_f | float > 80 and states('sensor.outside_humidity') | float > 85 %} 
            {% set value = (((-42.379 + (2.04901523*(outside_f|float)) + (10.14333127*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.22475541*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00683783*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)) - (0.05481717*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00122874*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00085282*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00000199*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)))-(((states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)-85)/10)*((87-(outside_f|float))/5)) | round(3)) %}
          {% elif outside_f | float < 80 %}
            {% set value = ((0.5*((outside_f|float) + 61.0 + (((outside_f|float)-68)*1.2) + ((states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*0.094))) | round(3)) %}
          {% else %}
            {% set value = ((-42.379 + (2.04901523*(outside_f|float)) + (10.14333127*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.22475541*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00683783*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)) - (0.05481717*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00122874*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00085282*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00000199*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)))| round(3)) %}
          {% endif %}
          {{ ((value - 32)/1.8000|float) | round(3) }}
        unit_of_measurement: '°C'

Veroland

Executive Member
I had my paradox system and ip150 installed yesterday, so I'm guessing I'm going down that path when I get some time, but I still need to put up my weather station at the new place as well.

Varktjop

Expert Member
One of my latest additions is adding a "feels like" for outside temperature, based on a complex formula and then adding a 'custom:mini-graph-card' with color thresholds to show what the temperature feels like in rainbow colors.

This is what it looks like, bottom left.
View attachment 992664

I have my graph card combined with the weather-forecast card, so in code it looks like this:
Code:
cards:
  - entity: weather.home
    type: weather-forecast
  - break
  - entities:
      - sensor.heat_index
    icon: 'mdi:thermometer'
    legend: true
    name: Outside temperature feels like
    show:
      extrema: true
      icon: true
    type: 'custom:mini-graph-card'
    points_per_hour: 2
    color_thresholds:
      - value: 37
        color: '#7e0001'
      - value: 35
        color: '#9a0000'
      - value: 32
        color: '#d80100'
      - value: 29
        color: '#fe0000'
      - value: 26
        color: '#f46523'
      - value: 24
        color: '#ff9e07'
      - value: 21
        color: '#ffd728'
      - value: 18
        color: '#ffff01'
      - value: 15
        color: '#cdff00'
      - value: 13
        color: '#80ff00'
      - value: 10
        color: '#3ab54a'
      - value: 7
        color: '#05f7f8'
      - value: 4
        color: '#00ccff'
      - value: 2
        color: '#017eff'
      - value: -1
        color: '#0000fe'
      - value: -4
        color: '#1b1464'
      - value: -7
        color: '#662e93'
layout: vertical
min_columns: 1
type: 'custom:layout-card'

and my feels_like.yaml package:
Code:
sensor:
  #Heat index
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      heat_index:
        friendly_name: 'Outside Feels Like'
        #formula taken from http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ama/?n=heatindex
        value_template: >-
          {%- set outside_f = ((states('sensor.outside_temperature')|float * 1.8000)+32.00) -%}
          {% if 112 > outside_f | float > 80 and states('sensor.outside_humidity') | float < 13 %}
            {% set value = (((-42.379 + (2.04901523*(outside_f|float)) + (10.14333127*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.22475541*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00683783*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)) - (0.05481717*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00122874*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00085282*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00000199*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)))-(((13-(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float))/4)*sqrt((17-(((outside_f|float)-95)|abs))/17))) | round(3)) %}
          {% elif 87 > outside_f | float > 80 and states('sensor.outside_humidity') | float > 85 %}
            {% set value = (((-42.379 + (2.04901523*(outside_f|float)) + (10.14333127*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.22475541*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00683783*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)) - (0.05481717*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00122874*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00085282*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00000199*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)))-(((states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)-85)/10)*((87-(outside_f|float))/5)) | round(3)) %}
          {% elif outside_f | float < 80 %}
            {% set value = ((0.5*((outside_f|float) + 61.0 + (((outside_f|float)-68)*1.2) + ((states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*0.094))) | round(3)) %}
          {% else %}
            {% set value = ((-42.379 + (2.04901523*(outside_f|float)) + (10.14333127*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.22475541*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00683783*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)) - (0.05481717*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00122874*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) + (0.00085282*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)) - (0.00000199*(outside_f|float)*(outside_f|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)*(states.sensor.outside_humidity.state|float)))| round(3)) %}
          {% endif %}
          {{ ((value - 32)/1.8000|float) | round(3) }}
        unit_of_measurement: '°C'
Please excuse my ignorance, but with what are you doing all of this? What's your setup look like?