Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

powermzii

Expert Member
Does CBI integrate with HA?
Not natively (via the CBI App)... One would need to register it with one of the Tuya mainline apps like Tuya or SmartLife i think... I havent been able to get it in HA as yet, having genetla network issues at home now so trying to sort those out first

MidnightZA

Expert Member
This morning I suddenly got these notifications in HA. I changed my PAI password to something much more secure and the same thing pops up.

I have no idea about node red though, I dont think Ive ever set a password for that.

How do I fix this?

1614839407518.png

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Got the same for PAI. Assume it's tied to default password for paradox??

I was thinking it was the IP password. Mine is the default "paradox" but I use serial connection so it doesnt matter to me.

But since you also have it I'm thinking it could be the password for the panel, the default is '0000'. My current one is not a secure password at all though :ROFL:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Anyone had a problem ever with snapshots simply not restoring?

It sees the file and shows all the tick boxes but no matter what I select it doesn’t show any progress and bails to the onboarding screen then promptly dies shortly after.

How do I miss my Docker install now as this is my only backup.

Can I use it manually somehow? The snapshot also doesn’t restore from inside a temporary account so would need to manually extract and put configs back.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Anyone had a problem ever with snapshots simply not restoring?

It sees the file and shows all the tick boxes but no matter what I select it doesn’t show any progress and bails to the onboarding screen then promptly dies shortly after.

How do I miss my Docker install now as this is my only backup.

Can I use it manually somehow? The snapshot also doesn’t restore from inside a temporary account so would need to manually extract and put configs back.
WTF.

****ing load shedding.

Eventually after I'm sure I've now ****ed up the SD card by formatting it a few times over I stick a second SD card (which I also tried first this morning assuming maybe SD card problem) into another same spec Pi and there the bloody thing works first time.

It still didn't actually say "Restore in progress" with any kind of log file but left it for a while and next thing you know suddenly all my stuff pops up.

ebendl

Expert Member
WTF.

****ing load shedding.

Eventually after I'm sure I've now ****ed up the SD card by formatting it a few times over I stick a second SD card (which I also tried first this morning assuming maybe SD card problem) into another same spec Pi and there the bloody thing works first time.

It still didn't actually say "Restore in progress" with any kind of log file but left it for a while and next thing you know suddenly all my stuff pops up.
Snapshots are TGZ tar files as far as I remember. Most archiving software should be able to open them up and you might be able to get to the config files inside.

But glad it started working...

Get rid of the SD card! Run it from an SSD...

Tinuva

The Magician
I concur. Skip SD cards and find a way to use an ssd as the main drive for your OS. Even on a pi it improves performance, obviously not as much as on a desktop pc.but more so, improve reliability.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Is it possible to use a USB instead of a SSD? It will be much neater for my setup

alqassam

Expert Member
My pi4 is sitting and gathering dust. Thinking of making it a small of for kids not kids around with.

Went to a desktop running Hass on VM and Blue Iris and AI tools and server and Unifi controller.

ebendl

Expert Member
Is it possible to use a USB instead of a SSD? It will be much neater for my setup

Pretty much the only way to connect an SSD to a Pi is via USB. You can run an M2 SSD or a SATA, but check for the specific USB drive enclosure - not all of them are compatible with the Pi.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Pretty much the only way to connect an SSD to a Pi is via USB. You can run an M2 SSD or a SATA, but check for the specific USB drive enclosure - not all of them are compatible with the Pi.

I meant a USB stick. I have 2 64 GB sticks collecting dust.

Would it be just as reliable as an SSD though?

Tinuva

The Magician
I meant a USB stick. I have 2 64 GB sticks collecting dust.

Would it be just as reliable as an SSD though?
Maybe more reliable than a sdcard but far less than a ssd. Usb sticks usually have a single chip where ssds have multiple. Having multiple the writes are split over them (increasing reliability) and also ssds have spare/unallocated capacity to allow for use when blocks start failing to increase lifespan of the ssd (again further increasing reliability).

Usb sticks unfortunately were not intended for daily writes from an OS like Hassio etc. Great for storing documents, photos etc. Bad for log files and databases, both of which Hassio make use of.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
I think a regular flash drive will be worse than a MicroSD. They aren't designed for constant read/write.

You get MicroSDs that are rated for application use (A1, A2) which basically means they can do high IOPS than their counterparts: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/blog/a1-vs-a2-sandisk-microsd-card-whats-the-difference/

Just get an SSD, it's cheap enough and the performance increase is worth it (I say this after burning 4x 64GB microSDs on my Pi :ROFL:)

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I think a regular flash drive will be worse than a MicroSD. They aren't designed for constant read/write.

You get MicroSDs that are rated for application use (A1, A2) which basically means they can do high IOPS than their counterparts: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/blog/a1-vs-a2-sandisk-microsd-card-whats-the-difference/

Just get an SSD, it's cheap enough and the performance increase is worth it (I say this after burning 4x 64GB microSDs on my Pi :ROFL:)

I just need to get an SSD enclosure. I will be stripping a PC one of the days and I'll take the SSD from there.

I have one of those tiny USB sticks that will barely be noticable. It would look neater than a SSD laying there on the shelf. I rather go with reliability than aesthetics though

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Snapshots are TGZ tar files as far as I remember. Most archiving software should be able to open them up and you might be able to get to the config files inside.

But glad it started working...

Get rid of the SD card! Run it from an SSD...

Yeah it was a load shedding test drive that just stuck around.

Will likely get the Home Assistant Blue box thing at some point.