Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

Speedster

Honorary Master
Not sure if this is relevant, but your clients, i.e. devices on the network will cache the dns settings

You can try flushing the dns cache on one of the devices and see
I've now set my laptops DNS to point directly to the AdGuard and that's working, so something between the router and the sinkhole isn't working. I'm going to try use the sinkhole for DHCP and see if that changes anything.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's a router issue

Last edited:

tRoN

Executive Member
NFC read distance is measured in cm so probably some other type of tag then?

Edit: a further read distance is potentially problematic especially if you are just driving past!

That’s true. It may not even be RFID/NFC.

It’s someone I chatted to at a function but didn’t get his details so confirm what he meant.

Anyone else have ideas.

Basically need to come close to your gate/garage and a sensor unique your vehicle triggers the opening

Speedster

Honorary Master
That’s true. It may not even be RFID/NFC.

It’s someone I chatted to at a function but didn’t get his details so confirm what he meant.

Anyone else have ideas.

Basically need to come close to your gate/garage and a sensor unique your vehicle triggers the opening
Your phone's GPS can do this

Saba'a

Executive Member
Get hold of these guys - they can help with a proper weather station with rain meter, wind direction and speed, temp/humidity, UV levels etc etc. You'll have to discuss how to integrate a lightning detector and how to get the data into HA.

But keep us posted on progress.....
Interesting weather station

Speedster

Honorary Master
Anybody else pulling Efergy info into HA? I'm getting the following error:
  • Could not update status for Energy Cost
    • 6:37:43 PM – (WARNING) efergy - message first occurred at 4:19:05 PM and shows up 556 times

Any idea how to solve?

ab-user

Expert Member
Someone mentioned there is a way of using an NFC tag on your car that allows a receiver to trigger the gate motor.

I can’t seem to find info on how to do this.

Any ideas

Not NFC, but sounds similair to what you want to do?

lucifir

Expert Member
Latest addition (clipping is from my Telegram app).

Camera picks up movement, does image recognition, and if it picks up a person it notifies me. Still needs some love, but pretty handy since my doorbell doesn't work View attachment 1064629
care to share your setup details as this is something I want to get done, hopefully soon.

crashy

care to share your setup details as this is something I want to get done, hopefully soon.

Okay so my setup is like this:
Lenovo E73 - I7-4770 - 16GB RAM - 120 SSD (OS) - 480 SSD (Stuff) - 2TB External (Archive)

This machine runs my Home Assistant instance using Hyper-V (Note: HyperV is actually a ballache, I'll be changing this at some point). My HA makes use of Mosquito MQTT, and I've also setup a Telegram bot for notifications, and added the BlueIris integration (see below)

Then this machine also runs all my IP cameras using Blue Iris (yes, I paid the $60-ish for the license).
This machine also run's Deepstack for AI (it's free)

Within BlueIris I basically followed Rob from The Hookup's latest tutorial -
and it was pretty easy to get BlueIris to connect to Deepstack and do the image recognition. Each of my cameras is looking for slightly different things, generally they look for person, dog, cat, and then the road facing cameras are looking for cars.

Once the above is done, on the camera you can go to the Alerts tab and set an "On Alert" and "On Reset" Action at the bottom. Then on each of them click Add, then "Web Request or MQTT" and then select MQTT Topic and put in the topic and payload (see my screenshot below). You can also add a tag into the "Required AI object", which in my case was "person". i.e. any time motion is picked up with a person in then trigger this action

1620649132114.png

Do the exact same as above for the "On Reset" but change the payload to "OFF"

Then in HomeAssistant in your configuration.yaml add a MQTT switch

switch: - platform: mqtt unique_id: person_on_road name: "Person On Road" state_topic: "BlueIris/binary_sensor/road_person/state" command_topic: "BlueIris/binary_sensor/road_person/state" state_on: "ON" state_off: "OFF" payload_on: "ON" payload_off: "OFF" qos: 0 retain: true

And then you can setup an automation to look at the above switch and take a snapshot of the camera when state is set to ON, then send that picture to Telegram

- id: '1620396316673' alias: Notify telegram when person_on_road is detected description: '' trigger: - platform: state entity_id: switch.person_on_road from: 'off' for: '0' to: 'on' condition: [] action: - service: camera.snapshot target: entity_id: camera.blueiris_road_video data: filename: /media/road_video_{{ now ().year }}_{{ now ().month }}_{{ now ().day }}_{{ now ().hour }}_{{ now ().minute }}.jpg - service: notify.mark_telegram data: title: Person detected on the road message: Theres someone here data: photo: file: /media/road_video_{{ now ().year }}_{{ now ().month }}_{{ now ().day }}_{{ now ().hour }}_{{ now ().minute }}.jpg caption: There is someone at the front gate mode: single

Drop me a shout if you want more details

powermzii

Expert Member
Lenovo E73 - I7-4770 - 16GB RAM - 120 SSD (OS) - 480 SSD (Stuff) - 2TB External (Archive)

This machine runs my Home Assistant instance using Hyper-V (Note: HyperV is actually a ballache, I'll be changing this at some point). My HA makes use of Mosquito MQTT, and I've also setup a Telegram bot for notifications, and added the BlueIris integration (see below)

Then this machine also runs all my IP cameras using Blue Iris (yes, I paid the $60-ish for the license).
This machine also run's Deepstack for AI (it's free)

Within BlueIris I basically followed Rob from The Hookup's latest tutorial -
and it was pretty easy to get BlueIris to connect to Deepstack and do the image recognition. Each of my cameras is looking for slightly different things, generally they look for person, dog, cat, and then the road facing cameras are looking for cars.

Once the above is done, on the camera you can go to the Alerts tab and set an "On Alert" and "On Reset" Action at the bottom. Then on each of them click Add, then "Web Request or MQTT" and then select MQTT Topic and put in the topic and payload (see my screenshot below). You can also add a tag into the "Required AI object", which in my case was "person". i.e. any time motion is picked up with a person in then trigger this action

View attachment 1065727

Do the exact same as above for the "On Reset" but change the payload to "OFF"

Then in HomeAssistant in your configuration.yaml add a MQTT switch

switch: - platform: mqtt unique_id: person_on_road name: "Person On Road" state_topic: "BlueIris/binary_sensor/road_person/state" command_topic: "BlueIris/binary_sensor/road_person/state" state_on: "ON" state_off: "OFF" payload_on: "ON" payload_off: "OFF" qos: 0 retain: true

And then you can setup an automation to look at the above switch and take a snapshot of the camera when state is set to ON, then send that picture to Telegram

- id: '1620396316673' alias: Notify telegram when person_on_road is detected description: '' trigger: - platform: state entity_id: switch.person_on_road from: 'off' for: '0' to: 'on' condition: [] action: - service: camera.snapshot target: entity_id: camera.blueiris_road_video data: filename: /media/road_video_{{ now ().year }}_{{ now ().month }}_{{ now ().day }}_{{ now ().hour }}_{{ now ().minute }}.jpg - service: notify.mark_telegram data: title: Person detected on the road message: Theres someone here data: photo: file: /media/road_video_{{ now ().year }}_{{ now ().month }}_{{ now ().day }}_{{ now ().hour }}_{{ now ().minute }}.jpg caption: There is someone at the front gate mode: single

The bottom part is exactly what i want to do - MQTT, HA and Telegram - thanks dude.

Also how good is that tutorial from Rob

crashy

:: Show me your doorbell tech ::

As the topline implies, I want to see some cool ideas for doorbells. In summary, I had a regular 4core video doorbell but the cables broke (in the wall) and I want to replace it with something nerdy that hooks into HA instead of the usual.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What if I don’t have my phone in the car?
Put an old phone in the car for this very purpose?

I use a combination of my Watch/Phone to detect if I'm home using both GPS and WiFi.

Besides you are always going to leave the button in the car after that one day something goes wrong and it doesn't work and you are left stuck outside. :)

lucifir

Expert Member

Thanks for the info. I was also struggling with whether to pay for blue iris or find a free alternative :laugh:
How many cameras do you have and does the machine handle it comfortably?
I know that blue iris uses much less resources than the free alternatives like ispy,etc., so just for that it may be worth the $60

I am still in the very early stages, but will give you a shout when I get to it, hopefully in the next few months.

btw, what OS are u running?

powermzii

Expert Member
Thanks for the info. I was also struggling with whether to pay for blue iris or find a free alternative :laugh:
I know that blue iris uses much less resources than the free alternatives like ispy,etc., so just for that it may be worth the $60

I am still in the very early stages, but will give you a shout when I get to it, hopefully in the next few months.

Stompies here...

I am running a similar setup
  • Win10
  • Blue Iris - only works on Win10. 6 4mp cameras - 4 recording continuously, 2 on trigger only - integrated with Deepstack AI
  • Home Assistant in an Oracle VirtualBox VM
  • Unifi Controller
  • Plex Server
1620653039180.png

Have had no issues with system load so far but its important that you setup Blue iris with substreams and direct to disk recording.

Edit: CPU fluctuates from 20% up to 75% when viewing / scrubbing video. If you can get a newer 5th / 6th / 7th gen processor you can expect this to be lower. If you have 4K cameras then that will tax the processor more.

crashy

Blue Iris is completely money well spent. I'm running Windows Server 2019 (BlueIris only works on Windows *easily*). I did try a few other alternative and BlueIris is by *far* the best and easiest solution (in my opinion).

I have the following cameras:
- 3x 2MP
- 1x 3MP
- 1x 5MP (Although I have this running at 2MP)

The above are all recording direct to disk 24\7 and all cameras are picking up motion. The CPU is idling around 10% and RAM Usage is at 50% (8 used out of 16). The CPU spikes pretty high when there is motion and DeepStack needs to analyze an image, at which point it spikes to like 60% for a second and then back down. To compound matters I've set BlueIris to take a few images every x seconds and analyse those. So one motion event means Deepstack needs to analyze like 20 images (every 2 seconds) so the CPU does spike up quite a bit.

I still have 2 more 2MP cameras to add and am trying to add a few more cameras around the house, ending up probably on 8-10 of them. Pretty sure if I run them at 2MP that my system will handle it, and maybe the ones at the road on 5MP

1620653388867.png

Attachments

• 1620653279321.png
    1620653279321.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 15

crashy

If you can get a newer 5th / 6th / 7th gen processor you can expect this to be lower. If you have 4K cameras then that will tax the processor more.
Agree with this, Rob from the Hookup says that you need a 6th gen proc so that the proc has Intel Vsync for H265. Currently my 4th gen only has fast support for H264