Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

calypso

Expert Member
TTS while cool, I don't really use much. The only thing I can think of is a warning that the AC will be turned off if the exterior doors are left open for too long.

Juankorb

After searching for South African facebook group about smart homes, and home automation where I can ask for assistance and not finding any. I created one where people can share ideas, and ask for assistance and also trade devices you no longer use or need.
Please feel free to join.

ebendl

Expert Member
So today, decided to do some admin, and as I had decided to earlier this year to pay for services, I use but have been 'freeloading' on, subscribed to Nabu Casa (1 month free trial before they start taking my money).

I guess the nice thing is that they sort out all the crazy reverse proxy stuff. I have a few questions.

I was accessing my Hass via a nginx proxy , I guess I don't need that now so could deactivate it? Can I turn off the let's encrypt too ? Nabu casa provided a URL , and for now, just reconfigured my phone app to use it before doing all the other devices .

What other cool features can be used as a Nabu casa user? I see I could intergrate to Alexa and have done so but I could control stuff before in any case. Now I need to test to see if Alexa knows if a gate/garage door is actually open .

I guess TTS is only available this way via Nabu Casa too? Never tried it before today.. Changed some alarm automations to do TTS, and it was great to hear it tell me via my sonos speakers that that alarm was armed in evening. Also added TTS for the gate/garage door automations.
Wonder what else I could use TTS for :)

Any other tips would be appreciated

I use Chromecasts and a couple of Google Homes and TTS a lot
- notification if a gate has been open for longer than 5 mins
- notification of alarm arming, disarming
- notification when geyser reaches the target temperature (solar geyser, so I have an automation which I can use to run it a bit from the grid in the evening when the wife wants to shower but it is too cold).
- notification when somebody is outside in front of our gate (camera set up with person detection running)
- notification linked to the doorbell. It literally says "Doorbell". This was due to our dog barking like crazy when she heard the old "ding dong" and woke up the baby in the process.

Veroland

Executive Member
Well, it looks like my CC2531 adapter is fried.

I've tried all the tricks I could find googling the issue, but no luck.

Currently I am using zigbee2mqtt and would like any recommendantions for a new zigbee Coordinator that I can get my hands on. I would prefer one I won't need special hardware to flash.

I am also not hell bent on using zigbee2mqtt, so I would be nice to get some altewrnatives from you smart people out there.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Well, it looks like my CC2531 adapter is fried.

I've tried all the tricks I could find googling the issue, but no luck.

Currently I am using zigbee2mqtt and would like any recommendantions for a new zigbee Coordinator that I can get my hands on. I would prefer one I won't need special hardware to flash.

I am also not hell bent on using zigbee2mqtt, so I would be nice to get some altewrnatives from you smart people out there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/oqja47
I found this on reddit. Maybe you can find a suitable answer or solution.

I looked through the the comments and a few people had similar issues with the C2531 and 2 people recommend getting a C2562

Veroland

Executive Member
https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/oqja47
I found this on reddit. Maybe you can find a suitable answer or solution.

I looked through the the comments and a few people had similar issues with the C2531 and 2 people recommend getting a C2562
Thanks for this, I was looking at the CC2652, which I assume is what you mean but trying to get one locally seems impossible and on ali-express shipping alone is $80

Veroland

Executive Member
Thanks for this, I was looking at the CC2652, which I assume is what you mean but trying to get one locally seems impossible and on ali-express shipping alone is $80

So I ordered the Sonoff ZBBridge of bangood. Going to try flash it with Tasmota and use ZHA. Will report back how it went.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I have a question regarding a Sonoff Basic R2 I have.

It's currently set up to control the driveway lights. I have set it up using automatic scenes- lights on at sundown, lights off at dawn. I have also set it to remember the last power state should a power failure occur. So far, so good, it's working brilliantly.

But now, there is one instance that still requires manual intervention and I would like to know how to get around it. It sometimes happen that we get load shedding during the transition period for dusk / dawn. So, for example, power would go out at say, 16h00 and only come back at 18h00, however, sundown for my location is 17h45- right in the middle of the blackout- obviously the Sonoff doesn't switch due to no power. So in this instance, the lights were off, but when power comes on, the Sonoff doesn't automatically toggle the lights and I would have to do it manually.

Is there any way around this?

I don't want to set a schedule to toggle the lights on every 5 minutes for the duration of the sundown period (this was mentioned somewhere on the forum) since it defeats the purpose of using the really simple dusk / dawn scene.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I have a question regarding a Sonoff Basic R2 I have.

It's currently set up to control the driveway lights. I have set it up using automatic scenes- lights on at sundown, lights off at dawn. I have also set it to remember the last power state should a power failure occur. So far, so good, it's working brilliantly.

But now, there is one instance that still requires manual intervention and I would like to know how to get around it. It sometimes happen that we get load shedding during the transition period for dusk / dawn. So, for example, power would go out at say, 16h00 and only come back at 18h00, however, sundown for my location is 17h45- right in the middle of the blackout- obviously the Sonoff doesn't switch due to no power. So in this instance, the lights were off, but when power comes on, the Sonoff doesn't automatically toggle the lights and I would have to do it manually.

Is there any way around this?

I don't want to set a schedule to toggle the lights on every 5 minutes for the duration of the sundown period (this was mentioned somewhere on the forum) since it defeats the purpose of using the really simple dusk / dawn scene.

Are you running your automation on home assistant or ewelink? NodeRED or yaml automations?