Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

alqassam

Expert Member
I already have a shelly 1om running the pump can't I use the temp add-on with probe and insert probe into pipe and seal around it?

The pool is salt water so not sure if that sensor would would in that environment.

Jacques van Eeden

I already have a shelly 1om running the pump can't I use the temp add-on with probe and insert probe into pipe and seal around it?

The pool is salt water so not sure if that sensor would would in that environment.

I am doing this but fixed the probe on the outside of the pipe. No need to insert it into the pipe. Pool temp, water to solar heater temp and return temp.

deesef

Expert Member
What's everyone using for pool temperature?
I'm using DS18B20 probes with a D1 Mini.

The swimming pool probe is dangling into the water. It works great, but I'm not sure how long it will last. At less than R30 per probe, I can probably just replace it when something corrodes...

The jacuzzi probe is sitting on the return pipe from the pump, with a thick rubber blanket to insulate it from the ambient temp. However, this is rather inaccurate. I must make a plan and get the probe either into the water, or make a tube that the sensor can safely be in the water without getting wet.

alqassam

Expert Member

The swimming pool probe is dangling into the water. It works great, but I'm not sure how long it will last. At less than R30 per probe, I can probably just replace it when something corrodes...

The jacuzzi probe is sitting on the return pipe from the pump, with a thick rubber blanket to insulate it from the ambient temp. However, this is rather inaccurate. I must make a plan and get the probe either into the water, or make a tube that the sensor can safely be in the water without getting wet.
I'm pretty sure all the ds18b20 sensors are waterproof the shelly uses the same sensor.

My pool is way too far from the pump to run a cable into it.

alqassam

Expert Member

I'm pretty sure all the ds18b20 sensors are waterproof the shelly uses the same sensor.

deesef

Expert Member

How far is too far? I'm using LAN cable to extend the probes about 15 metres... It works great.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I've always stayed away from things like Home Assistant as I thought it very fiddly. I knew my Shelly devices could integrate - but reading this is makes the integration sound super easy . People also tell me things come a long way with Home Assistant over the years

Smart home innovator Allterco, makers of the award-winning Shelly smart home products, and Home Assistant, an open source home automation platform, today announced a partnership that will seamlessly integrate all Shelly products.

So, I don't a Pi or anything - but can I just download a Home Assistant client on this PC to test - and then the app on my phone?
Simple as that - and it'll pick up everything ?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I've always stayed away from things like Home Assistant as I thought it very fiddly. I knew my Shelly devices could integrate - but reading this is makes the integration sound super easy . People also tell me things come a long way with Home Assistant over the years

Smart home innovator Allterco, makers of the award-winning Shelly smart home products, and Home Assistant, an open source home automation platform, today announced a partnership that will seamlessly integrate all Shelly products.

So, I don't a Pi or anything - but can I just download a Home Assistant client on this PC to test - and then the app on my phone?

giphy.gif

powermzii

Expert Member
hehehe... i feel you - i actually need to re-do my HA setup

Yes you can just download it and run through the setup - some do it in a docker container etc

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

No, seriously, HA is a rabbit hole of note.

You will need to read a bit if you want to do some of the advanced stuff.

It's great fun though.

Alas, no experience myself with installation on a PC - mine is running on a Pi3B+ (soon a Pi4)

Edit: it will see your Shelly's without much effort.

Btw, I'm finding the Shelly Dimmer 2 easy to setup and a pain in the ass 'cos none of my standard LED bulbs switch off completely when connected via the Shelly D2. My Shelly 1s work perfectly though

Last edited:

MidnightZA

Expert Member

The above link is all the installation methods. You can run HassOS on a VM.

But to answer your question, no its not as simple as that.
You would have to first setup up your HA and app which is faily easy if you dont do the remote access etc.
You would then need to install the integration for the product (Shelly) if there is one yet for the local control as mentioned in your link. Some integrations require a small bit of configuration to link to HA.

It is a rabbit hole like @AfricanTech posted, but it is so satisfying once everything is working