Home Assistant : Q&A, Tips & Tricks, Your Configs

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Erk - ok, so not quite a PnP like I hoped
It really isn't hard - just takes a bit of time to fiddle with - if you do take the plunge, start a new 'noob HA' thread and I for one will be happy to share/help (there were simple things that had me stumped until I eventually figured it out :p - 'cos of course most HA veterans assume that you know how to do simple things like copying a backup file from HA to your windows PC.....o_O

deesef

Expert Member
I'm running HA via Hyper-V on Windows. It seems a bit less fiddly than a VM on eg Oracle

Home Assistant is PnP, if you only want to switch stuff on and off manually, but what is the fun with that??? My advice is to stay small, import all your switches (and sensors) and get a feel for them. After that, group the entities into logical groups/areas. Then start with a small automation to switch selected lights on and off at sunset/sunrise.

After a few weeks, you'll lay in bed till the early hours, trying to figure what you can do next.....

Tinuva

The Magician
Hahahaha lying in bed figuring out new ideas. Too true. That said, some of the best ideas come from this.

w1tw0lf

Felt the same, was looking for easy way to do it, with simple plug and play system. First time I look at home assistant, lasted few minutes and nuked it. Year or 2 later and never looked back.
Hahahaha lying in bed figuring out new ideas. Too true. That said, some of the best ideas come from this.
Same here... only difference always reading and looking for more ideas.

The rabit hole is deep... and the ideas are endless.

Grumpy Old Man

You haven’t lived until you made it through the first update and everything stopped working…

But seriously, it is very addictive once you get through the initial hurdles. It’s not nearly as intimidating as it was even a year ago

True. It is getting more plug and play. Just read the breaking changes every time before you update.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Speaking of updates. How often to you guys update? Or do you do every update that goes live?

Screenshot_20210923-150916_Home Assistant.jpg

I did 1 update since the start of this month. I've been reading the change log and it doesn't seem like I need to update yet. I'll probably update everything next week.

Fjorko

Expert Member
Just got into this - pretty nify!!. Running on a Pi4 ( 4GB ). Already set up a home alarm using a conbee II zigbee stick and some aquara sensors. Made my lights go out automatically when I start playing a movie etc...., oh and I make my B618 reboot when the band change to a tower that is not ideal.... much fun !

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Just got into this - pretty nify!!. Running on a Pi4 ( 4GB ). Already set up a home alarm using a conbee II zigbee stick and some aquara sensors. Made my lights go out automatically when I start playing a movie etc...., oh and I make my B618 reboot when the band change to a tower that is not ideal.... much fun !

Before you get too far down the rabbit hole. If you don't have an SSD. I highly reccomend getting one. The speed is just so much more faster and it's more reliable than an SD card.

Fjorko

Expert Member
Before you get too far down the rabbit hole. If you don't have an SSD. I highly reccomend getting one. The speed is just so much more faster and it's more reliable than an SD card.
Speed is fine here. No complaints. I do have a SSD, so thanks for the tip.

Fjorko

Expert Member
How did I miss the "choose" item in automations? Man this will reduce so many automations for me.

Yeah. I use it to reboot my huawei router based on 3 possible triggers using 3 trigger IDs

1. Download speeds dips below 20mbps
2. Latency goes above 200ms for 30 mins
3. My tower ID changes

It worked prefectly today as sppeds dropped below 20 and it rebooted the router.... after reboot... speed back to normal. All automated. Love it.

BTW: @MidnightZA , I tried to do the ssd thing, got it up and running no problem, but some of my integrations were broken (speed test and another one, can't remember - complained about some certificate), even though I restored a full backup to the ssd.

Also the speed I found was a lot slower than the SD card. So I chucked the ssd out and put the SD card back. Back and working normally and is pretty responsive (for now)

Think I may need to get a better ssd perhaps. I tried on a transcend 240gb...so not sure if it's the drive or what...

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Yeah. I use it to reboot my huawei router based on 3 possible triggers using 3 trigger IDs

1. Download speeds dips below 20mbps
2. Latency goes above 200ms for 30 mins
3. My tower ID changes

It worked prefectly today as sppeds dropped below 20 and it rebooted the router.... after reboot... speed back to normal. All automated. Love it.

BTW: @MidnightZA , I tried to do the ssd thing, got it up and running no problem, but some of my integrations were broken (speed test and another one, can't remember - complained about some certificate), even though I restored a full backup to the ssd.

Also the speed I found was a lot slower than the SD card. So I chucked the ssd out and put the SD card back. Back and working normally and is pretty responsive (for now)

Think I may need to get a better ssd perhaps. I tried on a transcend 240gb...so not sure if it's the drive or what...

Are you running it on the USB3 port?

I had an issue with my first enclosure not working with the USB3. After some research I got the correct enclosure and now I'm running my ssd on the usb3 port and it's much faster.

MidnightZA

Expert Member

What are your guys thoughts on this?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

What are your guys thoughts on this?

716c9ef885b4da6fc8da22c304f71750.jpg