Home Automation - Smartkit

feo

Honorary Master
Don't tell anyone, but that's the kit I use. Though I have bought other solder wire in the interim...
So the solder that's part of the kit isn't ok?

It doesn't specify if it's rosin core or not.

calypso

Expert Member
Hi chaps.

Any suggestions on a decent ip doorbell.

Had a look at the Ring Pro and Sky.

Bit pricy. Any other decent bells some of you might have tried?
I just use a Xiaomi zigbee switch outside. Use that to ring the speakers inside and then it sends me a pushbullet notification on my phone.
No cameras but it would be pretty easy to add should I want to.

Reactions: GAD

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

I think he means he has just used it up since and had to buy more.

That kit will be fine. The solder too.

SAguy

Expert Member
Skybell seems very hit or miss, like notifications will only come through to your phone 20+ seconds later.

I haven't tried any but the Nest Hello seems very good. Dunno if it's available locally though.
Also waiting patiently for Nest to become available locally - but don't know how likely that is any time soon. Last I had a chat open with the Nest support they said that they have no timelines.

feo

Honorary Master
Also waiting patiently for Nest to become available locally - but don't know how likely that is any time soon. Last I had a chat open with the Nest support they said that they have no timelines.
AGS is always an option to get it to SA.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
The Sonoff switch boxes, do they work independently, i.e. when wifi is down?

SAguy

Expert Member
AGS is always an option to get it to SA.
Only issue is that you can't even set non supported countries as a location when configuring the device. I can't recall what the downside of that is, but I recall people saying that it had some downsides.

SAguy

Expert Member
The Sonoff switch boxes, do they work independently, i.e. when wifi is down?
When wifi is down, there is a button on them to physically switch on/off.
If wifi is on and internet is down, then if you have it flashed with Tasmota you can switch them on/off from your phone or pc that's on the same wifi network.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
When wifi is down, there is a button on them to physically switch on/off.
If wifi is on and internet is down, then if you have it flashed with Tasmota you can switch them on/off from your phone or pc that's on the same wifi network.
I'm talking the T1 switches, they have a physical touch button - and are connected directly to the lights - will they function without wifi and/or internet.

phaktza

Executive Member

I've used the solder without much issue, if you find it to be a problem you should pick up (rosin core) solder at your local Mica cheap, cheap.

ebendl

Expert Member
I just use a Xiaomi zigbee switch outside. Use that to ring the speakers inside and then it sends me a pushbullet notification on my phone.
No cameras but it would be pretty easy to add should I want to.
My problem is that the button would be in the wind and rain, so I'd need something a little bit more robust.

That and I'd probably want a camera that I can talk back to (i.e. "answer" the door when you're not home).

calypso

Expert Member
My problem is that the button would be in the wind and rain, so I'd need something a little bit more robust.

That and I'd probably want a camera that I can talk back to (i.e. "answer" the door when you're not home).
I must say I'm quite surprised at how well mine has lasted. Has a small piece of roof covering it which means it misses the rain, but other than that it's very much outdoors.
For R150 worth the risk of it dying outdoors.

phaktza

Executive Member
We've had an interesting query. A guy with solar would like to be able to know when the mains has been cut (then obviously reduce consumption). Any clever tricks to possible send off a message or even trigger a speaker?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I just connected my ups into HA with the Nut sensor. See if maybe his inverter has some similar kind of interface?

calypso

Expert Member
We've had an interesting query. A guy with solar would like to be able to know when the mains has been cut (then obviously reduce consumption). Any clever tricks to possible send off a message or even trigger a speaker?
Maybe a good question is what kind of inverter does he use? If there is always a trickle of grid power going through the inverter, then an efergy clamp as mentioned above could see when that drops to zero.

bees

So I made an assumption and it backfired. I thought the 3x ports on an Efergy CT Transmitter can be used for 3x different loads, but seems like this isn’t the case. You need a separate transmitter for each load, the 3 ports are for 3 phase. So I need to get 2x more transmitters.

Smartkit, can you source?

MEIOT

Expert Member
Anybody else running a bunch of sonoff basics and duals with an inverter setup for loadshedding experience a problem with the sonoffs randomly switching on and off periodically when running off inverter?

This is annoying the crap out of me. All my sonoffs are tasmota flashed with the latest firmware

Last edited:

bees

Yup, happened last night on a T1.

Does you HA install and wifi router stay on when switching to the inverter or does it drop for a few seconds? My HA and 1x AP stays on, but the other doesn’t so not sure if that has something to do with it, when the devices looses wifi temporarily while switching over. Doesn’t happen immediately, can be after a few minutes