Home Automation - Smartkit

feo

Honorary Master
Ordered a yeelight shipped using Buffalo. It got here in under 10 days. Was very impressed. Watch out for an sms asking for your ID number to clear customs.
My BangGood order for Yeelights got canceled because of a "very specific restriction of the carrier" so I thought Buffalo can't ship those.

Weird.

rodga

Executive Member
@phaktza I wanted to tell you a will back, but your mobile site sucks in android
links in the menu dont work, in fact the menu is different to the normal desktop site.

phaktza

Executive Member
@phaktza I wanted to tell you a will back, but your mobile site sucks in android
links in the menu dont work, in fact the menu is different to the normal desktop site.
Ja, we know. We're actually building a new site - so we haven't put much effort in the current one.

I have updated the menu, however ;-)

ebendl

Expert Member
Also waiting patiently for Nest to become available locally - but don't know how likely that is any time soon. Last I had a chat open with the Nest support they said that they have no timelines.
Sorry to chat about this again -- but I missed the doggy parlor pickup this morning since my doorbell is dead :(

I see some people say that the Nest is not ideal since it always requires a cloud subscription. The Ring doesn't, but you only have a couple of seconds to handle the incoming "ring" before they classify it as a "past event" meaning you require a subscription.

There's an ongoing discussion around this on Home Assistant's forums: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/video-doorbell-without-cloud/76616/47

Somebody suggested this one -- it has ONVIF support and the button sends a 433 MHz signal which can be picked up by the Sonoff Bridge. https://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_1693842.html

Deanza

So started off with the automation of lights using a few Sonoff T1 light switches. Pulling a neutral into the box was a piece of cake and they work exceptionally well, and sit flush on the wall. For a noob, I'm well chuffed. Also used Sonoff switches on lamps and front gate...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The T1s don't support two way switches?
Physically no, virtually yes. You only wire one to the lights, the other operates as a slave. There is a slight delay when using the slave. At least that's how it works with ewelink - I'm not sure about the other firmware.

Last edited:

phaktza

Executive Member
With it being smart now ask yourself if you really still need that functionality since every switch is effectively “two way” through being digital.
That's my thinking... Just add a "dummy" switch with scenes.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That's my thinking... Just add a "dummy" switch with scenes.
I didn’t even mean it to be anything as fancy as that but rather just that the more you consider the smart function availability you approach things so very differently.

Like in my case the one 2-way switch is in the garage to turn the kitchen lights off. If I were to make the kitchen light switch smart I would never use that button any more because it would automatically go off the moment everyone left the house.

calypso

Expert Member
I didn’t even mean it to be anything as fancy as that but rather just that the more you consider the smart function availability you approach things so very differently.

Like in my case the one 2-way switch is in the garage to turn the kitchen lights off. If I were to make the kitchen light switch smart I would never use that button any more because it would automatically go off the moment everyone left the house.
Snap. I made all my 2 ways one ways and they look after themselves now.

phaktza

Executive Member

I have three levels of staircase, I'm unsure how I without illuminate the staircase without a 3 way switch.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I have three levels of staircase, I'm unsure how I without illuminate the staircase without a 3 way switch.
Three-gang or three-way?

They are talking about a setup where one light has many switches.

I’m saying by virtue of being smart you automatically have a second switch already on your phone or voice Assistant potentially making a secondary switch redundant.

Tinuva

The Magician
And if you have a motion sensor at the stairs, that can also trigger the light removing the need for any switch

xrapidx

Honorary Master
With it being smart now ask yourself if you really still need that functionality since every switch is effectively “two way” through being digital.
Physically no, virtually yes. You only wire one to the lights, the other operates as a slave. There is a slight delay when using the slave. At least that's how it works with ewelink - I'm not sure about the other firmware.
The problem I have that I can't get to the wiring, besides at the switch box - so I've checked I have a neutral wire in all the boxes, but can't change the wiring in the actual box (no access to roof) - is it possible to just insulate the 3rd wire used in a 2-way configuration? (I'd probably get an electrician to do the wiring, but it's about 10 different switch boxes I'd need to order - my slight OCD won't allow me having mixed switches :p )

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The problem I have that I can't get to the wiring, besides at the switch box - so I've checked I have a neutral wire in all the boxes, but can't change the wiring in the actual box (no access to roof) - is it possible to just insulate the 3rd wire used in a 2-way configuration? (I'd probably get an electrician to do the wiring, but it's about 10 different switch boxes I'd need to order - my slight OCD won't allow me having mixed switches :p )
You're fortunate to have a neutral already at the switch - I gather it's fairly uncommon. Are you certain it's a neutral?

And yes - the electrician will probably just insulate the third wire.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
You're fortunate to have a neutral already at the switch - I gather it's fairly uncommon. Are you certain it's a neutral?

And yes - the electrician will probably just insulate the third wire.
Yip - checked, and used the wire for other things in the past (powering iPad, powering door lock, etc)