Home Automation - Smartkit

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Yeah they definitely dont like the merged SSIDs - also had to setup a separate 2.4ghz only SSID. Glad it sounds like you managed to get it all sorted though. What networking kit are you running btw?
I think that's it - they want their own 2GHz WiFi, which I am fine with since 2GHz is cheaper to implement and has far better penetration through walls and so on.

I have a mix of Ubiquiti Unifi AP's and EdgeOS for the routing side. Getting things like VLANs to work is a bit of a chore, but once setup it should be solid.

powermzii

Expert Member
I think that's it - they want their own 2GHz WiFi, which I am fine with since 2GHz is cheaper to implement and has far better penetration through walls and so on.

I have a mix of Ubiquiti Unifi AP's and EdgeOS for the routing side. Getting things like VLANs to work is a bit of a chore, but once setup it should be solid.
Am thinking of moving to Unifi for APs - still undecided if i will keep my Mikrotik router or go either EdgeOS or Unifi in routing as well

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Am thinking of moving to Unifi for APs - still undecided if i will keep my Mikrotik router or go either EdgeOS or Unifi in routing as well
Unifi Routing and Switching plays well with Unifi Wireless, and the setup becomes easier when you blend the ecosystems together.

That being said, the Edge line is more 'hardcore' in that the GUI is quite barebones and you can do everything using the CLI - if you're familiar with the Tik then you'd feel at home with the EdgeOS powered equipment. They are a bit more flexible than say the Unifi Dream Machine or Unifi Security Gateway if you like getting your hands dirty.

I'd say you should keep your Tik, if it's a fairly recent model to do your routing and switching, and go with just the Unifi AP for now. The important bits are hardware agnostic anyways and the OSI model is valid no matter what flavour/brand you prefer.

You could always move to Unifi at a later stagetfeerghhgfhjjeeetfgfff

powermzii

Expert Member
Unifi Routing and Switching plays well with Unifi Wireless, and the setup becomes easier when you blend the ecosystems together.

That being said, the Edge line is more 'hardcore' in that the GUI is quite barebones and you can do everything using the CLI - if you're familiar with the Tik then you'd feel at home with the EdgeOS powered equipment. They are a bit more flexible than say the Unifi Dream Machine or Unifi Security Gateway if you like getting your hands dirty.

I'd say you should keep your Tik, if it's a fairly recent model to do your routing and switching, and go with just the Unifi AP for now. The important bits are hardware agnostic anyways and the OSI model is valid no matter what flavour/brand you prefer.

You could always move to Unifi at a later stagetfeerghhgfhjjeeetfgfff
Yeah i do enjoy the Tik - its a hAP AC2 so plenty grunt for all I need and i am enjoying learning more about it and networking in general. Will get the APs then re-look at my entire network in a year or so when funds permit

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Keyboard malfunction aside - one more thing with Unifi is that for some features to work you need a Unifi Controller running on the network. You can run it on most popular OSes and it even runs on a Pi (although it is a RAM hog). It's easier to just spin up a docker instance and make changes from there and shut it down when not required.

The main reason to keep the controller running is for statistics, user groups (ie. Putting guest devices into a group that throttles their bandwidth) and guest portal access. Oh, and firmware updates.

Just something to keep in mind should you go this route. Good luck! :)

alqassam

Expert Member
Keyboard malfunction aside - one more thing with Unifi is that for some features to work you need a Unifi Controller running on the network. You can run it on most popular OSes and it even runs on a Pi (although it is a RAM hog). It's easier to just spin up a docker instance and make changes from there and shut it down when not required.

The main reason to keep the controller running is for statistics, user groups (ie. Putting guest devices into a group that throttles their bandwidth) and guest portal access. Oh, and firmware updates.

Just something to keep in mind should you go this route. Good luck! :)
Hass has a Unifi controller add-on

alqassam

Expert Member
The two gang Eachen light switch arrived today from Geewiz and I finished installing it a while ago.

The setup is a bit strange as the switch itself resides in the living room, and controls the lights in the living room (4x GU10 LED) and the adjacent garage (1x CFL).

Initially I had some troubles where the switch would just freeze and turn all the lights on and needing a reset at the circuit breaker. I decided to put the CFL on the first gang and also installed the capacitor on it as the LEDs had some flickering when they were turned off.

I saw the neutral wire was touching the CFL bulb holder's metal casing so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the erratic switch behaviour from earlier on. I remedied the neutral wire that was touching the housing and installed the capacitor and it seemed to be behaving again.

I made a separate SSID for the switches as they weren't happy with the dual 2/5GHz SSID I was running. At a later stage I'll drop them into a VLAN and isolate them from my internal network.

There is a lead time of 14 days for the 1 gang switches that I need for the rest of the house, so once they arrive I'll get them installed and working. By that time I should have the VLANs up and running too.
So it's recommended to go with the 2 gang. You can always use the extra button for automation.

I just can't get myself to install these for aesthetic reasons.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
So it's recommended to go with the 2 gang. You can always use the extra button for automation.

I just can't get myself to install these for aesthetic reasons.
What about them don't you like?

I did consider keeping an extra button for automation but honestly our house is pretty simple and our goal isn't going to be very advanced ITO what we want to do. Maybe I should have, what with the long lead time on the single gang switches but it is what it is:D

Neville

You should be able to buy any cheap doorbell that works with 433 Mhz. E.g. https://www.takealot.com/bbl-wireless-doorbell/PLID49433587

Reason why I think this should work is because I was able to use that transmitter with my 433 Sonoff RF bridge as an 'input', so I would imagine that the bell part should also work with the RF bridge?
I could've just bought a wireless doorbell then... what do I need RF button and Sonoff bridge for? (sigh!)

Perhaps my mistake for wanting to use Alexa as my notification device...unfortunately eWeLink only partially talks to Alexa. Perhaps there is a IFTTT applet that could link the two... thinking... or I could see if Takealot will refund me for these two items with reason "I changed my mind" ... sigh... facepalm...

Could also be time to finally start a Home Assistant setup but eish!, after spending the whole day in front of my laptop coding, the last thing I want to do when I get home is more computers! LOL! ... and it seems HA has become hungry: min requirements is 2GB of RAM and seems like not too shabby pprocessor?! I was hoping to use an old 2 Core Duo laptop for this but it seems I'll need something bigger..eish!... Expensive doorbell! LOL!

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I had to reload my HA as the bloody HDD in my laptop went POOF so that was fun. There goes all my automations as I never did a HA backup on a USB -> note to past self - you are a chop

Anyway, new HDD and Win10 fresh install later and I tried to install HA via VirtualBox yesterday - for some odd reason, my bloody router doesn't see the VB/VM IP address so I can't access the bloody thing to start the automation and get things back up and running again! I went through the whole static IP etc etc etc and tried alles with nothing working...anyone have any tips?

riscbroker

Expert Member
I used this video to set up HA on a VM a while ago - as a total noob to HA - and it worked fine:

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I used this video to set up HA on a VM a while ago - as a total noob to HA - and it worked fine:

Yep it's the same one that I used originally but for some bloody reason my router isn't allocating/seeing my VM. As far as I can tell, it hasn't happened to a lot of people...

ebendl

Expert Member
Was about to say the same - you need to use bridge networking.

I can say it is much bigger pain to setup bridge networking in Linux...

Neville

ScreenHunter 1146.png

Speaking of "promiscuous", this woman is freaking me out, staring at me like this the whole time... WTH FNB?!

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I had to reload my HA as the bloody HDD in my laptop went POOF so that was fun. There goes all my automations as I never did a HA backup on a USB -> note to past self - you are a chop

Anyway, new HDD and Win10 fresh install later and I tried to install HA via VirtualBox yesterday - for some odd reason, my bloody router doesn't see the VB/VM IP address so I can't access the bloody thing to start the automation and get things back up and running again! I went through the whole static IP etc etc etc and tried alles with nothing working...anyone have any tips?
Not exactly related to your issue (which I hope you can get sorted) but have you looked at installing Docker and running the HA container instead?

It's a little more lightweight than a VM, plus easier to keep updated and segregated and you can even map the data and config to a different volume or drive, if you wish.

And don't feel bad, I think 90% of people on here have lost data once before in their lives...me included :(

ebendl

Expert Member
Not exactly related to your issue (which I hope you can get sorted) but have you looked at installing Docker and running the HA container instead?

It's a little more lightweight than a VM, plus easier to keep updated and segregated and you can even map the data and config to a different volume or drive, if you wish.

And don't feel bad, I think 90% of people on here have lost data once before in their lives...me included :(

I'm assuming you mean just running the Docker container and not the Supervisor? Of course he would then lose access to the HA add-ons.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I'm assuming you mean just running the Docker container and not the Supervisor? Of course he would then lose access to the HA add-ons.
Correct. I wasn't aware of the add-ons, so that thought didn't cross my mind. I was just curious as to why the OP was choosing a VM, but at least now I know :)

/goes off to Google for HA Add-ons