Home Automation - Smartkit

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Going to try one of these as well

My father in law keeps forgetting to switch off the heater in the lounge - hopefully this will work to be able to a remote switch off or build a timed automation.

Did you get one of these yet? Does it have power monitoring?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Did you get one of these yet? Does it have power monitoring?

I did and it works a treat.

It does have power monitoring (see pic for OOB functions via the Smart Life app.

d461d1aa42d08b12887475969bb1249b.jpg

d17d23a2111989d4d54d394f16d13672.jpg

c8135950f3e54a25eeb0eaeb6a495ac8.jpg

Tbh, I'm feeling a bit leery of the Tuya based stuff (I bought the plug and a WiFi bulb) because it seems a strange coincidence that after I activated these my Mikrotik router started being hit by hacking attempts on the ssh (mainly) and api ports - I've had to disable the ssh port in the meantime which is irritating since Sniffviewer uses it to give me a real-time view of client traffic on the Mik

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician

It does have power monitoring (see pic for OOB functions via the Smart Life app.

Tbh, I'm feeling a bit leery of the Tuya based stuff (I bought the plug and a WiFi bulb) because it seems a strange coincidence that after I activated these my Mikrotik router started being hit by hacking attempts on the ssh (mainly) and api ports - I've had to disable the ssh port in the meantime which is irritating since Sniffviewer uses it time give me a real-time view of client traffic on the Mik
Change SSH port to another number that is not 22.

MidnightZA

Expert Member

Tbh, I'm feeling a bit leery of the Tuya based stuff (I bought the plug and a WiFi bulb) because it seems a strange coincidence that after I activated these my Mikrotik router started being hit by hacking attempts on the ssh (mainly) and api ports - I've had to disable the ssh port in the meantime which is irritating since Sniffviewer uses it time give me a real-time view of client traffic on the Mik

Thanks.

I asked Geewiz via the "ask a question" and this was their response, followed by shilling me their homemade multiplug with a sonoff pow lol

Thank you for your question about the WiFi Smart Plug 16A South African Power AC Plug Socket works with Alexa / Google Home

You had asked: Does this plug have power monitoring?

Answer: Hi, unfortunately not, for that we can offer the below: https://www.geewiz.co.za/geewiz-ite...y-monitor-kill-a-watt-watt-meter-sf-3500.html

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Change SSH port to another number that is not 22.

Thanks.

Tried that but then Sniffviewer isn't able to login (and it's a pita to find out how to change Sniffviewer since it's nut very well documented on that level).

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Tbh, I'm feeling a bit leery of the Tuya based stuff (I bought the plug and a WiFi bulb) because it seems a strange coincidence that after I activated these my Mikrotik router started being hit by hacking attempts on the ssh (mainly) and api ports - I've had to disable the ssh port in the meantime which is irritating since Sniffviewer uses it to give me a real-time view of client traffic on the Mik

Very unlikely.

SSH on a default port will just be smashed by any open WAN IP.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I guess there is a reason why Shelly are one of the fastest growing IoT brands in the world right now. They're outselling Sonoff in most the developed world - it's just that here we're still stuck on the Sonoff.

I'm looking forward to the new range actually

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Been running with ssh om default port for a couple of years without an issue.

as I said, could just be coincidence but ja...

It’s almost certainly coincidence as there’s no logical reason for them to use SSH.

They already have an outgoing connection to their cloud services. If they wanted to get into your network they would just use that system and you’d be none the wiser.

Isn’t it maybe a case of you only starting to pay attention to the SSH access logs after putting a Tuya device on your network?

I’ve never seen a publicly available SSH port not get constantly bombarded with authentication attempts which is why I install Fail2Ban on any such machine right before opening the port.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Are these lights, from Phillips, wifi lights?

I am looking for led (but linear like fluorescent tubes) wifi lights.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Are these lights, from Phillips, wifi lights?

I am looking for led (but linear like fluorescent tubes) wifi lights.

I’m guessing those are just normal non-smart lights.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I’m guessing those are just normal non-smart lights.
Thanks, figured as nothing indicates clearly.

Pity as I have a kitchen with a strange switch I cannot replace with a smart switch.

So wifi light only viable alternative.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thanks, figured as nothing indicates clearly.

Pity as I have a kitchen with a strange switch I cannot replace with a smart switch.

So wifi light only viable alternative.

Yeh I don’t think I’ve actually seen any smart fluorescents now that I think about it.

Must make a plan to replace my garage ones with LED never mind smart.

ebendl

Expert Member
Yeh I don’t think I’ve actually seen any smart fluorescents now that I think about it.

Must make a plan to replace my garage ones with LED never mind smart.
I'd basically just buy an LED replacement tube, or a long LED light and put a Sonoff or Shelly on it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'd basically just buy an LED replacement tube, or a long LED light and put a Sonoff or Shelly on it.

Yeah for my needs I just need to get new LED bulbs. My garage doesn’t need to be smart just the starters have died and the lights are long overdue.

Tinuva

The Magician
So I got a 2nd hand nuc for cheap and installed blue iris and see now just how amazing it is.

Any tips when adding the mqtt notification part into home assistant? Haven't done this yet but pretty sure this is the part that I will use the most especially after adding in deepstack.

furpile

Expert Member
So I got a 2nd hand nuc for cheap and installed blue iris and see now just how amazing it is.

Any tips when adding the mqtt notification part into home assistant? Haven't done this yet but pretty sure this is the part that I will use the most especially after adding in deepstack.
Not sure what tips I can give you but the MQTT notifications are neat. I have a boolean in Home Assistant to toggle if I want detection active or not. This used to only stop the notifications coming through when Deepstack detected something, but it would still use CPU power the whole day when people are working outside. I figured out you can send a MQTT message to BI to change the Profile. So now I toggle to a different profile which just saves the images to a different folder. It still records clips on movement, but Deepstack does not receive all of these images to process the whole day.

Have a look at the BI MQTT messages, you can also control individual cameras if you want.

xrapidx

Honorary Master

What did you get?

Tinuva

The Magician
What did you get?
It is just a 5i3ryh (i3 5gen 8gb memory and 512GB hdd). Edit: fixed its actually 5th gen so it may not be 100% powerfull enough.

I know it is not the strongest so the deepstack will run on something else. Would be amazing to get a Jetson compute module, but the prices on that still a bit high I think.

For now the cpu usage sits on ~30% running only blue iris 5. It is however the only device running anything windows related in the house :cautious:

Last edited: