Home battery and inverter installation capacity and price comparison

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
How to be load-shedding free for R32,000

South Africans can escape load-shedding for R32,000 with a battery backup and inverter system, including installation, depending on their power usage.

MyBroadband calculated how much it would cost to buy and install battery backup and inverter systems of various capacities in South Africa.

"For example, those wanting to use their fibre, a TV, a streaming device, a desktop PC, and a few lights can expect to use approximately 222W of power simultaneously."

Err.. that's a bit optimistic.

For example, those wanting to use their fibre, a TV, a streaming device, a desktop PC, and a few lights can expect to use approximately 222W of power simultaneously.

What is this? A desktop PC and TV for ants? I have a solar+battery system and look at my utilization when stuck in loadshedding.

My TV probably pull 150W and my PC does 700W at load when gaming (consumed, not provided - PSU is not 100% efficient and screen pulls additional watts).

Average price of installation is about R20k

Seems rather excessive for a days work.
This is what numpty installers are charging. Apparently their normal electrician hourly rates dont apply when doing this type of work

Average price of installation is about R20k

Seems rather excessive for a days work.
Only it's not always a days work. Mine took about 3 days. It all depends what needs to be done. Also remember there is a COC inspection which takes time.

Broken record here. Without solar panels, every install like this adds to the problem and decreases everyone, including your chances, of having power, with the current power status. The only one that benefits, is the seller. In fact they need to sell because they were greedy to buy.

Broken record here. Without solar panels, every install like this adds to the problem and decreases everyone, including your chances, of having power, with the current power status. The only one that benefits, is the seller. In fact they need to sell because they were greedy to buy.
Go back to hospital. It might do you some good.

this installation should not even cost 3k-4k..5K is too expensive...who the hell will pay 20K?

I installed 8KW inverter with 10KWH battery and 10 panels for around 20K installation because it was a huge installation. such cost of installation should be less than 10% of material costs.

Many do it as a stepping stone
ie the panels come in a next phase

Edit: and some have no choice work has to continue

If buying an inverter get one that can accept panels later, preferably one with lots of solar capacity, otherwise you are shooting yourself in the foot

It does make the initial layout a bit more for battery ie bigger solar capacity tends to have higher battery voltages

My first panels came 3 years after first battery setup

The Roi on just the panels portion looks to be under 2 years( only few months of data ) , then they start working down the cost of your inverter/batteries doing this part is a no brainer if you have an inverter/battery backup already

Indeed, this is why you get a tax rebate on the panels and not the battery and inverter.

Say it loud.

MyBB please an article like this WITH panels. Even if its the cheap and nasty low yield panels.

What is this? A desktop PC and TV for ants? I have a solar+battery system and look at my utilization when stuck in loadshedding.

My TV probably pull 150W and my PC does 700W at load when gaming (consumed, not provided - PSU is not 100% efficient and screen pulls additional watts).
What pc is that? 700w is rather a lot.

this installation should not even cost 3k-4k..5K is too expensive...who the hell will pay 20K?

I installed 8KW inverter with 10KWH battery and 10 panels for around 20K installation because it was a huge installation. such cost of installation should be less than 10% of material costs.

Where do you even find an 8KW inverter for 20K? Never mind the rest.

That’s not a huge installation at all.

I mean sure if, but Crossfire and SLI haven't been a thing for about 7 years or so.
If you're running dual GPUs in 2024 you're probably a moerse weirdo and your living space probably smells like cat piss, ignore that guy.

Back