Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
Was thinking of introducing CO2 into the airlock's hole into the ferm when bottling off, but think I'm not going to do the effort. Not worth it. Anyway, I've seen one or two of that dude's vids. He looks weird, but he is informative!
Yes and Yes :p

He helped many a homebrewer to get started and his name is big amongst the homebrew community on YouTube ;)

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Yes and Yes :p

He helped many a homebrewer to get started and his name is big amongst the homebrew community on YouTube ;)
He should REALLY get a sweater that doesn't come from his 350kg days though... :D I'm liking his stuff, it's very simple.

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
He should REALLY get a sweater that doesn't come from his 350kg days though... :D I'm liking his stuff, it's very simple.
LOL :D ... the sweater gets explained a couple of times thru his videos ... If you watch his latest video posted yesterday, you'll notice he is wearing the exact same sweater - 10yrs later :p

Toxxyc

Expert Member
OK so I slept on it. I want my first beer to be a success - definitely. If it's not, it's going to put me and everyone who's to taste it, off. I'm already using a severely expired batch of ingredients, so there's no use in bottling too early. Fermentation is slowing down now, and I'm getting about 1 bubble every second as opposed to 4~5 a second through the air lock. The smell it's giving off is VERY nice - sweet, clean and inviting. Temperature is still stuck between 20°C and 22°C (both blocks are coloured on the thermometer), and the fermenter is cool to the touch. So that's all just plain perfect. When the fermentation stops I'll be giving it another week, meaning I'll probably move to bottling next weekend. Can't wait!

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
If the brew is still bubbling in the fermenter, it's too soon to bottle. Remember to test the SG, if it remains constant for three or so days, bottle then.

Another word, I would avoid the mini kegs if I was you. I have 15 of them and have endless problems dispensing the beer. If you want, pm me and I will send you a link to a couple of notes on my website concerning these mini kegs.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I think my temperature is low enough that the fermentation isn't chasing to get done. This afternoon I'll check - it'll be 5 days exactly since pitching the yeast and according to most instructions the fermentation should start to stop now. From all reports I've read, slower fermentation is a lot better than a quick one, and I suspect me keeping the whole shebang at 22°C is a good thing in this regard.

On the mini kegs - I'll send you a PM for sure, thanks!

GrootP

I think my temperature is low enough that the fermentation isn't chasing to get done. This afternoon I'll check - it'll be 5 days exactly since pitching the yeast and according to most instructions the fermentation should start to stop now. From all reports I've read, slower fermentation is a lot better than a quick one, and I suspect me keeping the whole shebang at 22°C is a good thing in this regard.

On the mini kegs - I'll send you a PM for sure, thanks!
My bit: for a weiss it is better to ferment at higher temps but I wouldn't go more than 24, higher is supposed to give more banana flavors.
Weiss is normally not required to be clear and the yeast in suspension is supossed to "add" to the flavor.
You also have to remember that you need to give the beer time to carbonate once it is bottled and that weiss is normally well carbonated and this would need at least 10 days.
If you are in a real hurry, I would suggest buy a six-pack of Carvers Weiss, at around 16 bucks for 440ml I think it's well worth it, if you can find it (brewed by SAB so I'm not sure why it is so difficult to get!).
I trust that your first brew will be good and lead to many more and all of them great brews, Cheers!

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Yep, checked yesterday afternoon and fermentation is completely done. Air lock is dead quiet. Now for the wait to get the flavours to mellow out and to get most of the yeast out (I would prefer a clear beer, even if it's not needed). So in a week or so I'll get to bottling, and then I'll let it sit for 2 weeks or so. I'll definitely be buying some beer in the meantime, but I think I'll be opting for Grolsch flip-tops, since I want those bottles... :p

Shaun108

Executive Member
I brewed some Mead a few years back that turned out pretty nice. Anybody else here tried their hand at Mead? I could do with some more info.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I tried my hand at mead over December. Currently hoping my mistakes will age out a bit, since I just jumped in and did it. No calculations or anything, just went for it. It tastes like sweetened, dry white wine at this stage, which isn't bad at all, but not to my taste. I need to get it in a clean bottle ASAP though, the bottle I racked it in now I suspect isn't sealing perfectly...

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Yep, checked yesterday afternoon and fermentation is completely done. Air lock is dead quiet. Now for the wait to get the flavours to mellow out and to get most of the yeast out (I would prefer a clear beer, even if it's not needed). So in a week or so I'll get to bottling, and then I'll let it sit for 2 weeks or so. I'll definitely be buying some beer in the meantime, but I think I'll be opting for Grolsch flip-tops, since I want those bottles... :p
No, just because it's dead quiet doesn't mean fermentation is done. You must check the SG.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
No, just because it's dead quiet doesn't mean fermentation is done. You must check the SG.
Way back in 1975, (before you okes were born :D) we had a batch explode due t premature bottling. Like you, we were just wanting to suck the stuff ;)

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Yes this is true, I meant the big primary ferm is mostly over. Now it's time for second ferm and conditioning. I definitely won't bottle before I get a stable SG across 2 days minimum!

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Yeah that being said, where can one get affordable honey in Gauteng? I can't keep paying like R300 for honey to make some mead...

Anyway, this discussion prompted me to test the mead I have at home that I made over December. I initially thought that the batch would be tossed, since it was sour, tasting of yeast and very cloudy/murky. However, I added the preservatives (potassium sorbate and metabisulfate) and racked it for the second time to get it off the yeast that was in the bottle after first racking, and then I left it. My recipe was as follows:

500ml (yes, ml) honey
Water to top up to 1.5l
SafCider yeast

And that's it. I tossed it all in bottles, way overpitched the yeast (not a bad thing), and left it for a week or two. Yes, I know, way too much honey, no control, etc. etc. End result was, as mentioned, sour and not really nice to drink. However, yesterday I opened the bottle and poured about half a shot:

It's clearing! I tasted it, and the taste is actually damn good! VERY sweet, and it packs a kick like a damn mule. I read up on the yeast and saw that it has an alcohol tolerance of 11%~12% ABV, but I swear this is higher. I tastes like a good fortified white wine, and makes you all warm inside when it goes down. Success, I think, which is excellent since I honestly thought I would have to toss the bottle. Definitely will be making mead again in the future - it's much simpler than making beer, since there's no carbonation and those kinds of things, but it does take a bit longer. This one of mine took a month, which is the absolute minimum time it should take, and I strongly suspect it'll get better with age.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Just been doing a serious tasting of Bigal's latest pale ale, and it is seriously lekker. I cannot understand why our local craft brewers are so obsessed with citra hops in their pale ales. I really do hate the grapefruit flavour.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
OK so I bottled my first brew this weekend. Taste is good, it's carbonating like it should so I guess all is well and like it should be. Overall, happy. Can't wait for the first taste tests!

GrootP

Just been doing a serious tasting of Bigal's latest pale ale, and it is seriously lekker. I cannot understand why our local craft brewers are so obsessed with citra hops in their pale ales. I really do hate the grapefruit flavour.
:confused:
I love the grapefruit aroma. I used Riwaka from NZ once, that was realy grapefruity and nice but can't find more :mad:.
I can't stand the overly bitter after taste of many of the local brews.
What aroma hops do you use in this "Bigal's pale"?