Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

SukkaFoo

OK so I bottled my first brew this weekend. Taste is good, it's carbonating like it should so I guess all is well and like it should be. Overall, happy. Can't wait for the first taste tests!
Hey bud. Was apologizing to anyone else that would give me gas about being in the wrong thread.

My point was that you can make a plastic kettle and use a mesh bag to do brew in a bag. Not essential to go for stainless from the start

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Hey bud. Was apologizing to anyone else that would give me gas about being in the wrong thread.

My point was that you can make a plastic kettle and use a mesh bag to do brew in a bag. Not essential to go for stainless from the start
Hmm I get that, but what about the boil? I mean, the mashing is fine, I can do that in the fermenter if I have to, (not to mention I do have a 45l cooler box that'll work as well for BIAB), but it's the boil that's got me worried. I'm going to need some large pots for that - and the biggest I have is a 10l pressure cooker. Filling that up to 10l will boil over, so I'm going to have to do like 5 different boils for an hour each, with cooling between boils. That means I'll be at the stove for a damn good 6~7 hours just for a single batch... Nah. I'd much rather just brew with extracts or kits for now, I'll get a larger pot in the future!

SukkaFoo

Hmm I get that, but what about the boil? I mean, the mashing is fine, I can do that in the fermenter if I have to, (not to mention I do have a 45l cooler box that'll work as well for BIAB), but it's the boil that's got me worried. I'm going to need some large pots for that - and the biggest I have is a 10l pressure cooker. Filling that up to 10l will boil over, so I'm going to have to do like 5 different boils for an hour each, with cooling between boils. That means I'll be at the stove for a damn good 6~7 hours just for a single batch... Nah. I'd much rather just brew with extracts or kits for now, I'll get a larger pot in the future!
Have you considered a plastic kettle? You can pick up a food grade plastic drum (70l I think), pop a geyser element in there, and you have a single vessel brewing system. Most of the guys in PE were brewing like that when I last spoke to them. Also, check the city you are in for a brew club, to the best of my knowledge all the metros have at least one, and if you go along to a meeting you are likely to get some really good info about what to get and where to get it.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
The problem is about those that I don't know how effective those things are when they get in contact with the acidic wort, won't that be like, not good? Although at that price it's a risk I'm willing to take... That place reliable?

GrootP

If you brew in a 20 liter pot, remember that you need head-space, so you could not boil more than maybe 12 liters effectively.
I use a kettle that has a 50 liter capacity and my biggest brew has been 26 liters into the fermenter

SukkaFoo

The problem is about those that I don't know how effective those things are when they get in contact with the acidic wort, won't that be like, not good? Although at that price it's a risk I'm willing to take... That place reliable?
You should be able to get a food grade barrel made from HDPE. I brewed on one for years. As I say, find your local brew club and chat to the guys there. You'll learn a ton

Last edited:

Toxxyc

Expert Member
You should be able to get a food grade barrel made from HDPE. I brewed on one for years. As I say, find your local brew club and chat to the guys there. You'll learn a ton
I have a 30l brewing bucket. I don't have a 50l kettle to do an all-grain boil though - there's where the money problem comes in.

SukkaFoo

I have a 30l brewing bucket. I don't have a 50l kettle to do an all-grain boil though - there's where the money problem comes in.
Erm... Get a plastic 50l bucket... I'll bet you more than 50% of the guys brewing in SA are using plastic kettles. All grain is cheaper than you think it's going to be

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Erm... Get a plastic 50l bucket... I'll bet you more than 50% of the guys brewing in SA are using plastic kettles. All grain is cheaper than you think it's going to be
All grain brewing is cheaper to maintain, but the initial cost is expensive. I mean, I need to get something that'll maintain a rolling boil for ~60 minutes, in order to do a full AG brew, no? The kit I have is pretty much a "kit" as they come. It's an old Coppertun/Mangrove Jack's kit - with the 30l plastic fermenter and all that. Biased toward kits, not AF or even partial grain brewing.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
:confused:
I love the grapefruit aroma. I used Riwaka from NZ once, that was realy grapefruity and nice but can't find more :mad:.
I can't stand the overly bitter after taste of many of the local brews.
What aroma hops do you use in this "Bigal's pale"?
Actually, first time in a very long time that I used no finishing hops. Only Centennial and Northern Brewer for bittering - I was after proper hop bitterness, not the citrussy bitterness that the yanks seem to love and promote.

TheSlinger

Hi Brewers!
Somehow I only recently found this thread. I myself have been brewing for about a year and a bit. Started off with the kits, did 3 I think. I was hooked after that and am slowly investing in more and more expensive equipment!

At the moment I have a cali common bubbling away, got about a week left before bottling. I have also made a note to check back here now and then :D
Happy Brewing!

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Biased toward kits, not AF or even partial grain brewing.
Do try a partial grain mash. The results are way better than extract only. It is a lot more effort though. You do need a full morning on brew day.

PM me and I will send you a few recipes.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Do try a partial grain mash. The results are way better than extract only. It is a lot more effort though. You do need a full morning on brew day.

PM me and I will send you a few recipes.
Yep that's my next idea. I want to try to get the bulk from plain (unhopped) malt extracts and then to add my own hops and specialty grains as needed. Some recipes would be epic!

Toxxyc

Expert Member
See - problem. For that you'll need a large pot - probably AT LEAST 25l. I don't have one, and they're pretty damn expensive :p

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
See - problem. For that you'll need a large pot - probably AT LEAST 25l. I don't have one, and they're pretty damn expensive :p
No, a 12L pot is great for partial mash for a 20/22L batch. You don't actually want too much water as other rubbish gets extracted as well. The biggest problem is the temperature of the mash. Anything over 72°C and you start extracting tanins from the husks.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Biggest I have is a 10l pressure cooker. Will do fine for keeping temps stable (put on lid, sink thermometer through hole and let it sit, but really, that small? I guess I could mash for a bit and do 2/3 sparges on the lot with hot water heated elsewhere?

SukkaFoo

Biggest I have is a 10l pressure cooker. Will do fine for keeping temps stable (put on lid, sink thermometer through hole and let it sit, but really, that small? I guess I could mash for a bit and do 2/3 sparges on the lot with hot water heated elsewhere?
Bud, I appreciate maybe I'm not explaining myself well or perhaps you're not buying my idea... Have a read through the below as an example.

http://www.obeer.org/buggle.html

I have nothing against extract but what's available in SA is sadly not great. I'd spend the R500 max on a basic setup like this, with a bag for BIAB, and you'll be making beer that's way better than you're likely to be putting out with extract.