Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Yeah you know, I wasn't really "getting" you, like you mention. That's a brilliant idea - looks like I can easily go for it, thanks dude!

As a PS: How would you cool down the wort in this setup? Immersion chillers are quite expensive to buy and get running...

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Yeah you know, I wasn't really "getting" you, like you mention. That's a brilliant idea - looks like I can easily go for it, thanks dude!

As a PS: How would you cool down the wort in this setup? Immersion chillers are quite expensive to buy and get running...
Aircon copper pipe...

SukkaFoo

Plastic jerry can and do no chill. In all honesty you’re cutting some corners, but it will still be decent beer. Brewing can be super expensive or super cheap. The marginal increase in a fully automated HERMS system really doesn’t justify the cost if you’re just getting into it

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Aircon copper pipe...
Yep, at R60 per meter it's not cheap :D

Plastic jerry can and do no chill. In all honesty you’re cutting some corners, but it will still be decent beer. Brewing can be super expensive or super cheap. The marginal increase in a fully automated HERMS system really doesn’t justify the cost if you’re just getting into it
Will probably end up "chilling" by just dumping the whole bucket in the deep freezer for a while, if I go a route like this.

For now I think I'll stick to extracts or partial extract brews. It's cheap(ish), can do it with what I have and I'm enjoying it. Not to mention it doesn't take forever and while studying right now I can use the extra time...

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
Copper tubing can be had for about ±R350 for a 15M roll :whistling: ... and there are plenty of vids on YT on how to go about bending said tubing for a chiller.

I do the "no-chill" option and will probably do it as in forever ;) , Especially now that we sit with a water problem in CTN

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Where do you get copper tubing for that cheap? o_O Cheapest I found was around R800 a roll (15m), and that's with a tiny diameter... :/

TheSlinger

Copper tubing can be had for about ±R350 for a 15M roll :whistling: ... and there are plenty of vids on YT on how to go about bending said tubing for a chiller.

I do the "no-chill" option and will probably do it as in forever ;) , Especially now that we sit with a water problem in CTN
Agreed, while the water is such as issue. No chill is the way to go. Has been working for me for a while, no problems.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Agreed, while the water is such as issue. No chill is the way to go. Has been working for me for a while, no problems.
A well known commercial Pta brewer allowed his cooling water to flow out onto the lawn outside the brewery. In SA that is criminal.

The poor okes in WP are really going to sukkel as brewing is water intensive. They prolly make up the bulk of the country's craft brewers.

TheSlinger

Don't suppose anyone frequenting this thread has an old grain mill that they are willing to part with?
New one's are just so expensive!

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
^ that's one brewing equipment item I don't see people passing along to often ... would like to get my hands on one some day too

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Don't suppose anyone frequenting this thread has an old grain mill that they are willing to part with?
New one's are just so expensive!
Your grain supply store should be a able to mill for you on request. But yes, those mills are hella expensive. Chinese import seems to be the way to go.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
And on that note, my German Lager is currently in the deep freezer, sitting at around 0°C. It seems to be clearing nicely now, and I can't wait to bottle it!

TheSlinger

Your grain supply store should be a able to mill for you on request. But yes, those mills are hella expensive. Chinese import seems to be the way to go.
I know, I would just like to do a little bulk shopping rather then bi-monthly visits.

You can find a solution for a good mill here http://www.heydenrych.info/malt_mill.html
I've seen it work years after it was built.
Cheers
Thank you, that looks like what I might be looking for!

scudsucker

Expert Member
FWIW, if you need freshly milled wheat (for a Weiss or similar) Mostert's Mill in Cape Town runs every four weeks - the next milling day is Saturday 10th March.

Mostert's Mill is the only working windmill in Africa, and operates exactly as it did when it was built in 1796

Unfortunately the mill only operates with wheat.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Does anyone know of a home brew store in the Randfontein area? I will be finding myself there on Saturday morning with nothing to do. I need yeast, dextrose, Fermaid O and hopefully some GoFerm or other rehydration nutrient.

SukkaFoo

Does anyone know of a home brew store in the Randfontein area? I will be finding myself there on Saturday morning with nothing to do. I need yeast, dextrose, Fermaid O and hopefully some GoFerm or other rehydration nutrient.
Closest I know of is the beer keg but it's not exactly around the corner

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Closest I know of is the beer keg but it's not exactly around the corner
Yeah that's a distance. They also don't stock the specific yeast that I need. Nice place, specially since the new management, but way too far from Randfontein.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
@Toxxyc,

Found THIS ... also an easy option to get into BIAB all grain brewing
I've been hunting parts, yes, and that setup is nice but a tad overpriced. Immersion chillers can be built for cheap, those elements are VERY cheap and the buckets I know cost around R65, and another R60 for the tap. I'll do something like this when I have some time. For now, kits make it easier and quicker for me to continue my brewing.

As an update to all this, my last batch of beer was poured out onto brown spots on my lawn. Epic failure. It was my second kit brew, also an expired kit, and this time it definitely didn't turn out "OK".

Latest update sees me fermenting 12l of mead. OG was 1.091, currently sitting at 1.040 after 18 days. Slowly getting there - and the mead is so far turning out amazing. Can't wait to get it done!