Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

TheSlinger

I picked up one of these from AliExpress. I am still completing the system at the moment, so I haven't fired it yet, but its pretty solid, and I am quite confident it will be OK.

What PID controller did you go with? I bought an Auber Instruments EZBoil, also haven't fired it yet but its looks awesome.
At the moment all my spare budget is going into house renovations, so my PID is a combination of a weld-less thermometer in my brew kettle and mark 1 eyeball.
I am aiming to upgrade that over the next year or two.

It's a pity there's no decent local manufacturers of these things, I've struggled to find components before that are either reasonably priced or suitable.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
I picked up one of these from AliExpress. I am still completing the system at the moment, so I haven't fired it yet, but its pretty solid, and I am quite confident it will be OK.

What PID controller did you go with? I bought an Auber Instruments EZBoil, also haven't fired it yet but its looks awesome.
I've got:
2x MYPIN TD4-SNR
1x Inkbird IDT-E2RH

My build is about 90% complete. I've just got to finish the wiring into my DB board, do some final wiring of the control panel and some final plumbing and I'll be good to go. This has been a 3yr undertaking and I really hope it lights up once I've connected the power :whistling:

SukkaFoo

I've got:
2x MYPIN TD4-SNR
1x Inkbird IDT-E2RH

My build is about 90% complete. I've just got to finish the wiring into my DB board, do some final wiring of the control panel and some final plumbing and I'll be good to go. This has been a 3yr undertaking and I really hope it lights up once I've connected the power :whistling:
I have the electrician coming this weekend to do the sub-DB in the brew room. Plumbing on mine was completed last week, along with some tiling on the walls. I managed to pick up a new stainless table which I was pretty stoked with, and the same guys manufactured me a brew stand as well.

This week I am doing the wiring on my panel. Mine is a single vessel recirc system, so its somewhat adapted from the electric brewery, but loosely based upon it. Did the wiring diagram last week, so now its just a matter of getting it all wired up. With luck I don't kill myself. Hoping to fire it up on Sunday and do some initial tests on boil off rates and equipment wastage. I will post some pics once its completed.

TheSlinger

Panel Front.

I'm still looking for a place that can print some aluminum labels for my switches and a nice big logo for the bottom middle. Would be cool to put in a DMD display similar to the old pinball machines *dreams*

If you aren't sold on aluminum labels, most printing places can do vinyl labels. They should would look just as well think.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
I've built my entire system from stainless steel, including the wort chiller. This is probably the most expensive component of my build so far. It's a "convoluted" wort chiller, so it has a length of stainless wire inside the water tube to create turbulence in the water, enhancing the cooling effect... apparently. Looking forward to testing this vs. my mates 30m copper chiller.

Attachments

Napalm2880

Expert Member
If you aren't sold on aluminum labels, most printing places can do vinyl labels. They should would look just as well think.
Thanks will go take a look at the print shop up the road over the weekend.

I live in a complex so space is extremely limited. There's no space in the garage so I've built a brewstand in our small courtyard area which is partially under cover but the panel but may be exposed to a bit of sun and rain. The brewstand is still under construction will post some more pics shortly.

TheSlinger

Thanks will go take a look at the print shop up the road over the weekend.

I live in a complex so space is extremely limited. There's no space in the garage so I've built a brewstand in our small courtyard area which is partially under cover but the panel but may be exposed to a bit of sun and rain. The brewstand is still under construction will post some more pics shortly.

Vinyls should be fine - They use these for car branding. So they should be able to take the sun for an extended period.

The chiller also looks very cool. Personally prefer the stainless steel look to that of copper. Let us know how the chill-off goes and which wins.

janplank

I have a friend travelling back from NZ to SA via Australia. Does anybody know if it is allowed to put Starsan sanitizer in your check-in luggage?