Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

SukkaFoo

I am still getting my setup up and running. I had a few, let’s call them, issues...

First, I had issues getting my pump to work. I had bought some killer tubing which is used in the food industry. It’s food safe up to 140°C. Unfortunately it was marginally too big for the quick disconnects that I was using, and I needed to get the ends crimped onto the QD’s. The guys who crimped the ends crimped the pipe too tight and blocked it... since I’m not too mechanically minded, it took me 3 days to figure out and had it recrimped.

Then... I started to run boil off tests, and my temp sensor was reading 92°C at boil. I have a short little PT100 probe in a thermowell, with a 1/2” thread. It then sits inside a larger thermowell which is mounted on a tri clover ferrule. Seems that all the air around between the big and small thermowells is creating an air cushion which is preventing accurate temp reading. I ordered a new probe from the US which should solve the problem and it arrived yesterday.

Finally, the fancy schmancy tube I bought, I planned on resting on top of the grains during mash recirc, but I found it smelled like rubber when it got hot, and that’s not something I want in my beer. I bought some silicon hose from beerlab, who incidentally shipped from Cape Town to PE in a day. Fantastic service.

Anyway, long story short, tomorrow I will brew. Eskom dependent.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Finally, the fancy schmancy tube I bought, I planned on resting on top of the grains during mash recirc, but I found it smelled like rubber when it got hot, and that’s not something I want in my beer. I bought some silicon hose from beerlab, who incidentally shipped from Cape Town to PE in a day. Fantastic service.
Also had a good experience with the silicon tubing from Beerlab. Price was 1/10th of any other suppliers I found as well.

TheSlinger

Also had a good experience with the silicon tubing from Beerlab. Price was 1/10th of any other suppliers I found as well.
Still expensive at R100 a meter. Or it was last I looked. I've been trying to find a supplier of medical supplies, but they are not so great at communication for "small" orders.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Still expensive at R100 a meter. Or it was last I looked. I've been trying to find a supplier of medical supplies, but they are not so great at communication for "small" orders.
Medical guys were >R1300 per meter last I looked and they didn't have tubing with the right OD/ID.

SukkaFoo

Did some boil off tests on the brewery after work quickly before the power goes out. Seems my temp issues are solved now that I have the new temp probe. Now if only we had a long enough stretch of no load shedding I'd brew tomorrow...