Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Make that 6. Looking forward to that comparison video.
Your impact was only 20%. Big, but not THAT incredible... :p

@Toxxyc we will have to make a plan to compare the systems.
I don't really want to compare the systems, as I know exactly what the systems comprise of and where what shines. What I'd like to see is how beers differ if made using the same recipe and procedure, 2/3 months down the line. Would you be open to that? Asking on here and not in PM because I want it in the open, if others might want to take up the same challenge. My goal is to see the quality of the beers made on a cheap-ass homebrew system and a decent GF system down the line.

For now, my first video I intend on doing is a comparison between two bottles of the same beer I made, that same Vienna lager. I bottled and one bottle was stored cold (2°C) and the other warm (on top of the fridge, probably around 22°C, for 9 weeks now. I'll be hopefully testing them side-by-side this coming weekend, after 10 weeks conditioning like this. I want to note the differences, if any, and make a video about it. Next up I want to do a warm vs cold lagering for 8 weeks, if possible. Not sure how I'm going to get it done, but we'll see...

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Your impact was only 20%. Big, but not THAT incredible... :p

I don't really want to compare the systems, as I know exactly what the systems comprise of and where what shines. What I'd like to see is how beers differ if made using the same recipe and procedure, 2/3 months down the line. Would you be open to that? Asking on here and not in PM because I want it in the open, if others might want to take up the same challenge. My goal is to see the quality of the beers made on a cheap-ass homebrew system and a decent GF system down the line.
Yes 100%

I will even make a video using your recipe and keeping log of everything.

Will give you some of the beer once it has fermented out. So you can compare the beer then

Toxxyc

Expert Member
OK I'll set up the test parameters sometime and let you know. Maybe we can do a group brew or something on here. It's a very simple recipe, very simple method, and in my experience worked out great. I won't be brewing too soon, I think, but I might be able to make a plan. Got a big-ass batch of mead in the fermentation chamber right now, so that has to be racked out first...

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I'm in Pretoria. I've been thinking about this (making "how to do X on CHEAP" videos) for a while. Think I should do it sometime. Maybe over December holiday...

OK so I did the math it's not really R120, but it is REALLY cheap. It's a Vienna lager that I made that turned out great. Cost:

2kg Vienna malt - R59.50
2kg Pale malt - R41.40
600g Caramunich II - R20.01

Hops: Southern Promise, 12 grams, so R53.97 for a 100g packet divided by 8 = R6,75-ish for the hops.

Yeast: Recycled. No cost. Paid for it once, not going to calculate the cost into future brews. Harvested off the previous beer and it's still going well. I think. We'll see.

Water: Tap. No cost.

Carbonation: R4, or something like that, using bulk priming sugar you get for next to nothing.

Fining: Age in the fridge. Beer drops clear in the fermenter, no need to fine. If need be, R5 for gelatin, and I'll include it.

Bottling: I bottle in mini-kegs and Grolsch swingtop bottles. Reuse it all over and over, no caps, no anything to spend money on there.

Total cost: R136.66

Still pretty cheap. If I increase my brewhouse efficiency, that recipe should be good to stretch the beer to 26l, thereabouts. I do BIAB in an 18l pot, mash in the oven and boil on a gas stove. Don't even get a full rolling boil, but it works just fine. I need to get a proper gas burner for this, but that's R300 I don't have right now.
Can you please elaborate on the recipe/steps followed, time involved, water quantity etc?

Half_Frog

Expert Member
I am brewing at Capital Craft Centurion on Sat if anyone want to come support/have a few beers. Will be there from 10am onward brewing a raw ale

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Can you please elaborate on the recipe/steps followed, time involved, water quantity etc?
Sure. The one you quoted is my new recipe. The one I made last time was this one:

1kg Vienna
1kg Pale
300g CaraMunich II

The brew was disaster on disaster, but worked out well in the end.

Mashed for 1hour at unknown temps. Later when double checking and looking at the problems I had I realized how terrible the no-contact IR thermometer is for measuring a steaming liquid's temperature. I aimed for a 68°C mash to get a bit more body, but I ended up mashing for an hour at unknown temps.

I also learned that the grist ratio is VERY important for the mash pH to work out to where it should be. I didn't know this, and just dumped the 2.3kg of grain into a big-ass pot containing 15l of water. So WAY too much water. The result was a watery wort with an OG much lower than I had hoped for. I hoped for around 13l of wort after squeezing the bag, and then a bit more if I sparged, so I can boil down to 13l of wort at around 1.04. I ended up with 12l or something like that at super low grav.

I decided to go with it anyway, and tried to boil the wort. Fail. My gas stove is apparently not built to boil such large volumes, so I couldn't get the wort to a rolling boil. It just-just stopped under boiling. I decided "screw it" because hops isomerize anyway at 79°C, so I added 8g of Admiral hops @60 minutes and started the timer. Hops choice was solely for bittering, I didn't want any aroma or flavour, which is why it's only a single hop addition at 60 mins.

I ended up with 11l of wort, and when I checked the gravity I was disappointed. 1.032. Again, I decided "screw it" because I wasn't going to toss it. So I cooled it and pitched a packet of SafLager S-23 at 20°C. Yeast was rehydrated properly beforehand.

Fermentation happened at 14°C and lasted 3 days. I left it for a week longer (10 days in total) and drew a gravity sample. It was dead set on 1.018. In other words, I got TERRIBLE attenuation. This is where I realized something must have gone wrong in the mash, and started doing research on the thermometers.

It also meant my alcohol content in this brew was under 2% ABV. A fantastic number to achieve, if you think about it, since so many people want beers that low, but I did it by accident, so eh.

Again, I decided "screw it", and fined with gelatin using the Brulosophy method. Left for 2 weeks or so more (got busy) and eventually just bottled. The result was pretty good. I'm planning a comparison with this beer between hot and cold conditioning. I'll post it on my YT channel, I hope. Don't know how I'm going to do it yet, so let's see.

Ended up looking like this. Not embedding the image because it's a tad big:

SykomantiS

Expert Member
So essentially, for your new recipe you're going double the malt (4.6kg) and keeping to 15L water for the mash?
What about splitting the 15l for the mashing / sparging?
What are you aiming for, final yield- 20L or less?

Sorry for all the (noob) questions

Toxxyc

Expert Member
So essentially, for your new recipe you're going double the malt (4.6kg) and keeping to 15L water for the mash?
What about splitting the 15l for the mashing / sparging?
What are you aiming for, final yield- 20L or less?

Sorry for all the (noob) questions
I'm doubling up the grain, but I'm also going to be mashing with a lot less water. I'm going to be aiming for a strike water volume of closer to 12l, mash, then mash out (I know, I know) and then try to sparge as much as possible to get as close to a higher volume as possible. Might end up doing two different boils, as I only have an 18l pot. I'm aiming for at least double what I had last time, so 22l at least. Hopefully 25l if my efficiency picks up a bit. I have a better thermometer now, so it should be good.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
I am brewing a Raw Ale(No boil) NEIPA this Sat at Capital Craft and doing closed fermentation in a 20l SAB keg.
I am also not going to chil the beer.

So going directly into a sanitized keg and placing it on CO2 to get rid of any O2 in the keg

What do you guys think of this method of brewing and is it complete madness?

Here is my recipe

If all goes well I want to naturally carbonate the beer in the Keg and use the spear to suck out the trub at the bottom.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I've heard of no-chill (pitching boiling directly into a santized container), but never of a no-boil method. How are you going to isomerize the hops if you're not going to boil the wort? You need around 79°C to get the bitterness you're aiming for, if I'm not mistaken? I guess I'll see tomorrow... :D

Half_Frog

Expert Member
I've heard of no-chill (pitching boiling directly into a santized container), but never of a no-boil method. How are you going to isomerize the hops if you're not going to boil the wort? You need around 79°C to get the bitterness you're aiming for, if I'm not mistaken? I guess I'll see tomorrow... :D
So the plan is to bring the work up to 80°C for 30min. This way I get my hop oils and I am above pasteurization temps killing off any bacteria in the malts/water

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Ah, yeah, that'll work. Volume is going to be pretty important, I guess, since you're not going to be boiling anything off. If it works, it might just be something I'll do in the future as well.

PS remind me to pack your bottle of mead.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
So myself and @Toxxyc met up at Capital Craft and had a few beers, brewed a bit and had a chat.

Brew turned out good and is happily fermenting away.

If anyone else wants to join for the next one please let me know

Toxxyc

Expert Member
So myself and @Toxxyc met up at Capital Craft and had a few beers, brewed a bit and had a chat.

Brew turned out good and is happily fermenting away.

If anyone else wants to join for the next one please let me know
Yep, it was a lekker morning. I'll definitely do it again, it's quite a nice concept, the way this is done there.

Also, the Grainfather, goodness. Takes brewing to a new level. One day when I'm big :D