Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Modern IPAs are a lot more than just bitterness though. I, for one, worry a lot less about bitterness and I love flavours from the hops a lot more. Hops have a lot more to give than people give them credit for.
True and I agree 100% with you. We have alot of aroma but its all over the place and a nice malty backbone coming through

Toxxyc

Expert Member
True and I agree 100% with you. We have alot of aroma but its all over the place and a nice malty backbone coming through
Yeah I guess that's part of the risk when you do that long boils, etc. Did you do any dry hopping on this beer?

EDIT: Reason for asking, I made a "light lager" in December. Overshot the bitterness (measured out too much hops and only realized the IBUs are way over after the boil) and it turned out a tad too bitter for a light lager. So I dry hopped it. Now I have this superb 3% ABV, super clean tropical fruit bomb. It's amazing.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Yeah see, I enjoy my hops, but I find there's a "ROI" point I just can't justify for myself, personally. I don't see the point (again, for me, personally) to make a R120 batch of beer, and then to add R300 worth of hops to it at the end. I dry-hopped my light batch (was around 18l, IIRC) with just 60gr of hops for 5 day and it was absolutely marvellous. Doubt I'll go much higher, unless I want to make a real hop bomb.

TheSlinger

So I snuck in a mid week brew yesterday afternoon/evening. While the beer (pomegranate IPA/Weis hybrid) seems to have (so far) turned out great, nice gravity and pre-ferment flavors... My mash tun sprung a leak, I think the tap in the cooler had been bumped and it looked pretty badly cracked around it.

So I am now looking at some new ones... I was using a small cooler, so taking this as an opportunity to upgrade.

What do you guys use for mashtuns?
Any cheaper places to buy something like a Coleman 50l than makro? -this is what I am looking at I think. Suggestions welcome.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
So I snuck in a mid week brew yesterday afternoon/evening. While the beer (pomegranate IPA/Weis hybrid) seems to have (so far) turned out great, nice gravity and pre-ferment flavors... My mash tun sprung a leak, I think the tap in the cooler had been bumped and it looked pretty badly cracked around it.

So I am now looking at some new ones... I was using a small cooler, so taking this as an opportunity to upgrade.

Any cheaper places to buy something like a Coleman 50l than makro? -this is what I am looking at I think. Suggestions welcome.
Grainfather

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Buy a large urn, insulate it, and make a ghetto Grainfather. That's what I use. Mine's just not that big, so I usually heat up the strike water in the urn (using a proper thermometer because the thermostat sucks), then mash using a bag (BIAB method), remove the bag and sparge in a large pot and add back to the urn, then do the boil and everything and from there I simply tap into my fermenter or no-chill cube and the rest is the same.

SukkaFoo

You considered just doing BIAB?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Buy a large urn, insulate it, and make a ghetto Grainfather. That's what I use. Mine's just not that big, so I usually heat up the strike water in the urn (using a proper thermometer because the thermostat sucks), then mash using a bag (BIAB method), remove the bag and sparge in a large pot and add back to the urn, then do the boil and everything and from there I simply tap into my fermenter or no-chill cube and the rest is the same.
You basically just described my whole process as well.
I'm in the process of hooking up a Pi4 to the urn for temp/boil control- and eventually a pump, but those are expensive. I'm using a 50L urn (Logik). About 1.5 / 2 years ago there was a batch of them going for R1k brand new.

TheSlinger

I sometimes do two brews at once, where I will have the mash going, and boil for the next. So i do like to have a separate mashtun. I like the idea of the getto grainfather, thanks @Toxxyc I'll look at the cost etc vs a cooler.

BIAB is defiantly going to be done for the next few while I look at options though. I just prefer a mashtun myself.
@COMPUTEK I have a 75l ss pot.

Johnvgb

Morning follower #12

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Picking up my malts and yeast this afternoon. Finally time for the Death by Chocolate sweet stout I've been wanting to do for ages. No boil, no chill, to see if I can meet the target gravity.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Picking up my malts and yeast this afternoon. Finally time for the Death by Chocolate sweet stout I've been wanting to do for ages. No boil, no chill, to see if I can meet the target gravity.
Sounds yummy. I also have a stout on the cards, but I'll do the pale ale first.

SukkaFoo

I'm picking up my malt, hops and yeast tomorrow to do a schwatzbier and a festbier. Been a while since I have done a lager. I'm long on homebrew at the moment as I had a good 60l of beer good to go for our homebrew Fest which was meant to be this weekend, so figured I'd do one of the lagers old school slow and the other I might do fast

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Sounds yummy. I also have a stout on the cards, but I'll do the pale ale first.
I've learned by now I'm not too good with the "pale ale" type beers. Lagers, etc. seems like it's too much "fine" work for me. I'm good with things that's big on flavour. Vienna lager, stout, IPA, etc. And because stouts are pretty much foolproof, that's what I want to do. I actually can't wait. Just hope I can get all the grains properly mashed and sparged. I took a look at the amount of grains and it's almost twice my previous brew's amount.