Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Toxxyc

Expert Member
@Toxxyc you could actually split the mash if the grains is to much for your setup/equipment

... with the lockdown you have the time :p

Even over 2 days if you have to.
Yeah it's not a bad idea. Since I'm doing no-chill anyway, it may be a good idea. Thanks for the idea man, think I'll do it that way. I think I will manage with my equipment (a 20l urn that holds about 16l and a 25l boiling bucket and a 10l pot and a 25l no-chill cube), but split mash will just give me more to work with. My biggest worry is efficiency. For some reason I'm REALLY struggling to get my efficiency up these days. If I can just hit 70% I'd be really happy.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Oh yes, this thread. I had a bad brew day due to...issues...outside my control, but the stout came out pretty nice. It's very sweet and very chocolatey. It's like drinking an alcoholic version of that Illovo Chocolate Syrup you usually pour over ice cream. It's pretty nice.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Come on guys, let's keep this convo in the lockdown brews thread. I don't want to sub another thread

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I think we should keep this thread for proper brews, and not pineapple ciders you made with bread yeast. Keep that in the lockdown thread. Hopefully this thread will then serve as a goal for the homebrewers to strive to.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
I've had a couple of issues during lockdown obtaining various items that were quite readily available pre-lockdown. The biggest problem was that I had ~40kg of grains uncrushed. I usually borrow a mates malt mill but that's been impossible. Instead of forking out > R3k for a monster mill I found this guy:

Ordered yesterday - with eBucks and it's on it's way with the courier already. Win!

The next issue I had was that I ran out of CO2 which is surprisingly difficult to obtain in JHB North. After phoning around and posting on the Worthogs facebook group, it seemed like my only options were MyGas in Lanseria - who will only rent out 10kg cyclinders and charge ~R500 for the cylinder and a ~R100 monthly rental fee. This seemed like a hassle. The next option was East Rand Fire but for a long time they stopped supplying the public - and they're on the other side of JHB. Out of desperation I started tring Aquariums and Pet shops but they wanted >R300 for a refill + R100 surcharge for using my own cylinder, along with a 2 week turnaround! Wtf.

Eventually ended up at InstaSafety in Sandton. Dropped off my cyclinders on Friday and can collect on Monday with a R175 refill fee. Yay! Usually they can refill while you wait but the machine was broken. Hopefully come Monday they will have things sorted. Will keep you posted.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I've had a couple of issues during lockdown obtaining various items that were quite readily available pre-lockdown. The biggest problem was that I had ~40kg of grains uncrushed. I usually borrow a mates malt mill but that's been impossible. Instead of forking out > R3k for a monster mill I found this guy:

Ordered yesterday - with eBucks and it's on it's way with the courier already. Win!

The next issue I had was that I ran out of CO2 which is surprisingly difficult to obtain in JHB North. After phoning around and posting on the Worthogs facebook group, it seemed like my only options were MyGas in Lanseria - who will only rent out 10kg cyclinders and charge ~R500 for the cylinder and a ~R100 monthly rental fee. This seemed like a hassle. The next option was East Rand Fire but for a long time they stopped supplying the public - and they're on the other side of JHB. Out of desperation I started tring Aquariums and Pet shops but they wanted >R300 for a refill + R100 surcharge for using my own cylinder, along with a 2 week turnaround! Wtf.

Eventually ended up at InstaSafety in Sandton. Dropped off my cyclinders on Friday and can collect on Monday with a R175 refill fee. Yay! Usually they can refill while you wait but the machine was broken. Hopefully come Monday they will have things sorted. Will keep you posted.
Man that sucks. I'm just getting into kegging and I hope I don't have that kind of hassle here in Pta. Glad you got sorted though.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Right, let's get started with yet another expensive hobby.
Very nice!

Smash out the various beers you've got there (aka Extract Brewing). Then look at moving to "all-grain" - using real barley and hops using the Brew in a Bag method (BIAB).

You're also going to want to look at using fresh yeast like Safale04 and Safale05 for starters. Unfortunately the yeast that comes with those kits doesn't do so well sitting on the shop shelves for months.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
There are a number of places to source ingredients, equipment, etc.

I've had the most success with:

https://brewmart.co.za/

*Like most suppliers they're low on stock at the moment but this should improve in the coming weeks.

Very nice!

Smash out the various beers you've got there (aka Extract Brewing). Then look at moving to "all-grain" - using real barley and hops using the Brew in a Bag method (BIAB).

You're also going to want to look at using fresh yeast like Safale04 and Safale05 for starters. Unfortunately the yeast that comes with those kits doesn't do so well sitting on the shop shelves for months.
That's the plan, lots to learn tho. Will likely work up to partial mash with extract, don't want to bother with the extra equipment needed for full all grain brews.

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
That's the plan, lots to learn tho. Will likely work up to partial mash with extract, don't want to bother with the extra equipment needed for full all grain brews.
So to be honest, BIAB doesn't need a ton of equipment, and the availability of quality ingredients for all grain are way better than extract. I plastic barrel with an element and some way to switch the element on and off are are the main things you would need. You can basically spend as much on this hobby as you have to spend... But you can enter all grain VERY cheaply.

Reactions: MrR
So to be honest, BIAB doesn't need a ton of equipment, and the availability of quality ingredients for all grain are way better than extract. I plastic barrel with an element and some way to switch the element on and off are are the main things you would need. You can basically spend as much on this hobby as you have to spend... But you can enter all grain VERY cheaply.
Kettle and burner is the issue, don't want to take up so much storage space. Will see tho, that's way down the road when I actually have a clue what I'm doing.

COMPUTEK

Executive Member

<>
Will you please give an update/review once you've crushed your first batch of grain ? For a 3 roller mill that's a good price. :thumbsup:

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
So I would seriously recommend going electric. This way you don't need to go with a stainless pot for the kettle. A plastic barrel, food grade, will hold up for a really long time and only set you back a couple of hundred bucks. Now, for any new brewery who is willing to part with a little cash... the Grainfather is an awesome entry level device. In fact, I would almost go so far as to say, skip everything else if you can (once you find your feet) and just dive into the GF. Also, the footprint of the GF is pretty small, and you can pretty easily brew in the kitchen.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Will you please give an update/review once you've crushed your first batch of grain ? For a 3 roller mill that's a good price. :thumbsup:
I know right. It's an awesome price and the being able to buy it with eBucks made the purchase lot more palatable that forking out over R3k for a monster mill.

Before my purchase I found a bunch of aussie brewers are using it successfully and some have gone so far as modding it to get their ideal crush width. Hopefully won't have to go this far... but I'll let you know.