Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

abudabi

Expert Member
It's 20/21 at the bottom of the box and my hot water bottle is lying on top of the container (seen in link below). That OK or too hot?
Took out the hot water bottle, let the box cool for a bit and measured at the top of the closed box... 27 degrees :( Hope I didn't fry my beer.

Kola_CT

Have an IPA and a few other mixes fermenting away.
The other mixes because I built a pot still.

Have used the Coopers kits in the past, did 23l with the 1kg brew enhancer and yeast and they came out great.
Always fermented at controlled temperature and for at least 2 weeks, and let the beer condition for 2 weeks or longer after bottling (the longer the better, had some I forgot in a bar fridge - yes I get it, who TF forgets beer - but anyway a few months later they were really good).
So now I brew in way which enables me to let the beer stay bottled for a month or more.

I sometimes added 250g of honey, or dried orange peel, this enhanced an IPA quite a bit in my opinion.

In fact, this made me order a few Cooper kits again.

JSparrow

I would add the full 1KG enhancer and then add 300-500g dextrose just to up the ABV a little ....

but if it a darker beer like the stout above, i would use DME to give a nice flavour + mouthfeel ... Dextrose will thin out the stout which spoils the style ;)
I ordered lighter style beers. Coopers Draught, Coopers Lager and Coopers Canadian Blonde. Just got a message that The Courier Guy picked up my order so I should have it soon. I have a Rustic Brown Ale from MJ that is currently brewing.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Beer log, day 3 :D The "pshh" has subsided. I've read this is normal but mine seems to have happened a bit quicker than the internet suggests. Oh well, still changing hot water bottles morning and night to keep the temp up.

Any other "Lazy hunter" brewers around that care to share their experience?

PS. @Toxxyc What yeast was with your kit?
The yeast is S-04.

JSparrow

Totally agree to let the beers age. I have Gold Lager from MJ that I bottled end of May. That is probably one of the best beers I ever had. It is totally clear and nicely carbonated and very smooth. I hid a case of 6 Gold Lagers and 6 Passion and Peach Cider in my garage. I want to try them later in the year at 3, 6, 9 and 12 months.

I also made a case of half Munich Lager and half Mixed Berry Cider that I also put in the back of the garage

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Took out the hot water bottle, let the box cool for a bit and measured at the top of the closed box... 27 degrees :( Hope I didn't fry my beer.
27 is hot, but not "kill the yeast" hot. It's too hot though. Chances are your yeast won't be happy and you'll taste it in your beer.

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
It might be better to get a bigger box ... cardboard will do ... then also add a USB powered type fan to circulate the hot air :thumbsup:

abudabi

Expert Member
I've also read about guys using a 50w aquarium heater... I think I might try rigging that up next time seeing as it's a nice self regulating solution. Just need to construct a "tub"

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I've also read about guys using a 50w aquarium heater... I think I might try rigging that up next time seeing as it's a nice self regulating solution. Just need to construct a "tub"
50W is way overkill. I'd buy one of those 7W or 8W reptile heating pads. Cheaper as well, and less fragile.

abudabi

Expert Member
“Questioning why I would not re-hydrate?”

By not re-hydrating you will ‘kill’ a portion of the yeast cells that you pitch into your wort (beer). It has been reported that up to 50% of yeast cells die if you don’t re-hydrate.

Any of you re-hydrate?

s0lar

Anybody know where to get either a ball or pin corny keg? I cannot find either new or refurbished anywhere.

Any of you re-hydrate?
I always make a starter the day before, is a no brainer. 1l water, 1/2 cup DME, pinch of DAP, takes off like a rocket.

Anybody know where to get either a ball or pin corny keg? I cannot find either new or refurbished anywhere.
You won't get a corny in SA easily, they don't exist outside out of the homebrew scene here.

Last edited:

Snyper564

Executive Member
19L Boddingtons pub ale clone (all grain BIAB) currently undergoing boil :)

Done - Oslo Kveik added fermenting at 30deg and already bubbling away

Last edited:

JSparrow

Coopers Lager started yesterday. First time using Coopers so we will see how it goes......

20200810_152239.jpg

20200810_152338.jpg

Yummmmyyyyy!
20200810_164156.jpg

Next to the Rustic Brown Ale that's been on the go for the past week. The Coopers Fermenter airlock started to bubble after 80 minutes :eek:

20200810_170013.jpg

And I just got a delivery from Beerlab. One of each Coopers Lager, Draught and a Canadian Blonde :love:

beans100

Honorary Master
Coopers Lager started yesterday. First time using Coopers so we will see how it goes......

View attachment 890672

View attachment 890674

Yummmmyyyyy!
View attachment 890678

Next to the Rustic Brown Ale that's been on the go for the past week. The Coopers Fermenter airlock started to bubble after 80 minutes :eek:

View attachment 890680

And I just got a delivery from Beerlab. One of each Coopers Lager, Draught and a Canadian Blonde :love:
Is that where your buckets....erm, fermentation apparatus is standing? I usually keep mine in a darker place.