Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

GrootP

Just do lager with a kveik "pseudo lager" yeast then you cna do hot temps and ferment quickly as well. All my fermentations are done in 1 to 2 weeks. Look at liquid culture and then just reuse yeast
Where do one find this yeast?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Where do one find this yeast?
There are many other places too but I have bought from Beerlab in the past.

GrootP

There are many other places too but I have bought from Beerlab in the past.
Thanks but I'm in Centurion and I've not seen it here and I believe that yeast should be kept at a constant low temperature so I would not like to use the couriers for yeast.
I will give it some consideration though.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Dry yeast doesn't matter. Just buy it. Kit-and-kilo beer cans come with a packet of dry yeast under the lid, and those sometimes sit on racks for YEARS and the yeast still works fine.

GrootP

Dry yeast doesn't matter. Just buy it. Kit-and-kilo beer cans come with a packet of dry yeast under the lid, and those sometimes sit on racks for YEARS and the yeast still works fine.
I get my S-04 and S-05 out the fridge at the shop and put it in my fridge till the morning of brew day.

GrootP

Sorry guys, I just checked and Brewmart do stock it.
I saw liquidculture.co.za but I've not had a chance to contact them, any Idea about the price & quantity one need to buy?

abudabi

Expert Member
Still looking for 1 of these in JHB. Beerguevara's container is on the way but detained at customs so have a to wait a bit longer.
1603106930606.png
Even if you have a busted Emily capper or the likes lyng around. I'll be willing to take it off your hands if I can salvage the head. :thumbsup:

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I understand, but you don't have to be that strict. How do you think the S-04 comes into SA? In a big fridge?
Yup, I forgot some packets of yeast in a box in my garage that had come with an order. They stayed there for a few months before I noticed, I had no issues with the fermentation after using them.
Liquid yeast is a different story, but dry yeast doesnt seem to care.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Sorry guys, I just checked and Brewmart do stock it.
I saw liquidculture.co.za but I've not had a chance to contact them, any Idea about the price & quantity one need to buy?
1 of each is all you need to get started likely R80-R120 - its worth it believe me

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Thanks but I'm in Centurion and I've not seen it here and I believe that yeast should be kept at a constant low temperature so I would not like to use the couriers for yeast.
I will give it some consideration though.

Then go to brewcraft - they're close enough to you.

abudabi

Expert Member
I'm starting my coopers lager tin tomorrow. Would it be OK to let my water warm up to the recommended 21 degrees outside in the warm temps during the morning?

seth963

I'm starting my coopers lager tin tomorrow. Would it be OK to let my water warm up to the recommended 21 degrees outside in the warm temps during the morning?

I would skip that just chuck it all in!!

are you using the tin yeast? If you are it wont be lager yeast which is between 10-15 degrees but ale yeast 18-21 generally.

If you can control temp try and keep it to 18, if you cant start it as cool as you can between 15-18 and just try and keep it cool.

Happy brewing!!

abudabi

Expert Member
Cool. Yeah it's the tin (ale) yeast so will control temp at max 20 degrees.

Got a fridge and temp controller.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
OK posting this here as well. In short, I'm looking to make a 10% ABV stout, peated, oaked and a tiny bit sweet. I'm trying to mimic Islay whisky notes with this one - peat, oak and a bit of sweetness to round it off. I have the following in mind:

Thinking of merely doubling up my existing sweet stout recipe, with some tweak. It's low in roasted notes and has a nice chocolate flavour I want in the final product. I'll also swap out the hops to include a fruity late addition to simulate the light fruity notes in the whisky (aiming for Ardbeg 10 notes here)

So here's what I'm thinking:

6kg Pale Malt
0.5kg peated malt (this number needs thinking)
0.5kg Oats
0.75kg Chocolate Malt
0.4kg Roasted Barley
0.5kg CaraMunich 1 OR Goldswaen Brown (I have both, will do some taste tests between the malts and decide on this)
0.5kg Lactose (still in two minds about this)

To boost ABV I might add half a kilo or so of regular brown sugar. Perhaps even a tiny bit of molasses. Some input would be appreciated on the molasses - never added it to a beer before.

I'm aiming for 1.090 OG at least, without the lactose addition. If I can get to 1.100 I'd be really happy.

Hops, I'm going to use whatever I have to get to around 25 IBUs at 60 minutes. Sommer some T90 I still have around here. It works well in other beers and provides a very cheap way to get a smooth bitterness at 60 minutes.

Late addition hops will be a 5-minute addition of something nice and fruity. I've got some African Queen I'm keen to try, but I'm not sure if those berry flavours is what I'm after. I'd like a more tropical fruit hop, but I don't have any on hand and I really don't want to buy another packet of hops right now. I think I might have some S.Passion, which will work well. Perhaps 50/50 S.Passion and African Queen.

For yeast I'll be using an English Ale yeast, medium attenuation perferably. Ferment low and slow, probably near the lower end of the yeast's temp range for 2 weeks or so, and then slowly raise to complete. Then I'll cold crash for a week or so, and then pitch into a fresh cube with the oak to sit for several months before bottling. I'll probably stick it in the pantry until winter comes.

So, ideas, tips, tricks and things to look for when making a beer like this?