Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Toxxyc

Executive Member
24 is a tad high for WLP001. It should be fine though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. A wet towel and a fan should sort it out.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I was lazy and haven't brewed lately so also picked some up from them. Mines set at 19 degrees. 24 is quite warm but you will get beer
Yesterday? There were a few of us there then :)

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
Yesterday? There were a few of us there then :)

Yeah. That group has exploded. Great to contribute to the survival of one of the best breweries in the country. You should try their mozzarella if you're into pizzas and the like.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yeah. That group has exploded. Great to contribute to the survival of one of the best breweries in the country. You should try their mozzarella if you're into pizzas and the like.
Where can I get the mozzarella from! Tomorrow is pizza night .

GAD

Yup and today I got another 20 liters of yesterday's last wort added to leftover honey buckets.

Mmmmm.....life is good and so are our RHBC friends looking after us in today's desert.

You know you're a BEER LOVER when.......beer bumps Miss January off your "three things on a desert island" list.

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yup and today I got another 20 liters of yesterday's last wort added to leftover honey buckets.

Mmmmm.....life is good and so is our RHBC friends looking after us in today's desert.

You know you're a BEER LOVER when.......beer bumps Miss January off your "three things on a desert island" list.
So you went back for more? I was a little temped when they said they had some left over but I decided to wait until next week.

Reactions: GAD

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Awesome! dont leave your dry hopping too late, its best to get it in while fermentation is still active to self-purge the headspace.
I would absolutely love to support places like Richmond Hill brewery but Im not going to drive to PE to buy wort. We dont have any local craft breweries selling wort in EL so Im pretty jealous.

What jy waar kry ? What makes you think it's a NEIPA style?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Bwana mentioned that he bought IPA wort and that he needed to remember to add hops at the right time.
We both know that there aint no self-respecting IPA that isnt dry hopped!!
:D
I did dry hopping once before
I dont get the point
I add hops in the beginning of the boil and then half way through the boil, not in the fermenting stage

s0lar

Expert Member
I totally agree. On this wort the brewer specifically said. Once fermentation ceases and then 3 days before bottling for the second dry hop addition.
I just don’t get the NEIPA style. Guess I’m an old school west coast.

That said dry hop additions are yeast specific. 3 days with kviek and it’s over.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
That time isn't during fermentation
Whaaat?!? now you have to be joking right?

The only real alternative to dry hopping would be hop bursting at flameout, but that would use a lot more hops than a dry hop would.

Super hoppy styles like IPA/NEIPA all need that kick, heck I even dry hop all of my APA's.

The only other thing I could assume you mean is that it isnt during active fermentation. Generally I will do it close to the end of fermentation while CO2 is still being released slowly.
I know you can do it later when its stopped entirely but I dont like the idea of adding oxygen to the beer.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Whaaat?!? now you have to be joking right?

The only real alternative to dry hopping would be hop bursting at flameout, but that would use a lot more hops than a dry hop would.

Super hoppy styles like IPA/NEIPA all need that kick, heck I even dry hop all of my APA's.

The only other thing I could assume you mean is that it isnt during active fermentation. Generally I will do it close to the end of fermentation while CO2 is still being released slowly.
I know you can do it later when its stopped entirely but I dont like the idea of adding oxygen to the beer.

that's what i meant yes ... this specific recipe is meant to be DH about 3 days BEFORE bottling, so way after fermentation is finished.

It's mostly only NEIPA's that gets hopped during fermentation .... and the whole thing about introducing O² when you DH is overrated ... you open the lid, drop the hops and then immediately close the lid ... Stop stressing, as I bet you're introducing more O² during bottling than what you would during a DH :p

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Awesome! dont leave your dry hopping too late, its best to get it in while fermentation is still active to self-purge the headspace.
The instructions as I understand them are "25g of hops on day 3 or 4 and the balance [25g] to be added once fermentation is finished. The last hop addition should be 2 to 3 days before you bottle so to minimize grassy notes from the hops"

Reactions: GAD

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
The instructions as I understand them are "25g of hops on day 3 or 4 and the balance [25g] to be added once fermentation is finished. The last hop addition should be 2 to 3 days before you bottle so to minimize grassy notes from the hops"

you should only start getting grassy notes after about 2 weeks.

GAD

So you went back for more? I was a little temped when they said they had some left over but I decided to wait until next week.
Yep...just cannot resist those honey left overs wort batches.

When done fermenting and after conditioning you get a nice honey nose note of the beer...but not in the taste...very lekka beer.