Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Yep. Website won't be showing stock anytime soon, as I'm not keeping stock on hand right now. I'm making blondes now on a per-order basis.

Shipping is usually R175 to major centres countrywide. I've shipped kits to Cape Town, PE, Durban, etc. I've also shipped a few to Namibia, Swaziland got 3 of them and Zambia also got 3. So yeah they go far and wide :D

B-1

Expert Member
The instructions as I understand them are "25g of hops on day 3 or 4 and the balance [25g] to be added once fermentation is finished. The last hop addition should be 2 to 3 days before you bottle so to minimize grassy notes from the hops"

Hops aromas are very sensitive to offgassing with the co2 escaping the fermentation vessel that's why they specify it has to be finished. Otherwise you will lose out on the aroma side of things.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
I, personally, would add the dry hops EXACTLY 72 hours before bottling. You don't get any benefit from dry hopping after 72 hours, and anything before you risk escaping out of the airlock. I would also bottle ASAP (hence 72 hours before bottling), and keep those bottles as still and dark and cool as possible. Also drink them ASAP. Hop aromas disappear VERY quickly. As in, you can detect a difference in flavour from week to week on a well hopped IPA.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
For now I stick to pumping out my Coopers beers weekly.
I will go back to brew in a bag again as soon as someone gives me an easy Black Label recipe

JSparrow

Guys. My beer got stuck at 1.010 again. I have cooled it down a bit but it is still fermenting at 25 degrees. I have stirred it and added a bit of dissolved sugar. OG was 1.044

I need to bottle on Sunday. Do you think it is safe to do so?

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Guys. My beer got stuck at 1.010 again. I have cooled it down a bit but it is still fermenting at 25 degrees. I have stirred it and added a bit of dissolved sugar. OG was 1.044

I need to bottle on Sunday. Do you think it is safe to do so?

That's a 4.5% beer which is more than acceptable. Check again on Sunday and if you are still at 1.010, you're good to go in my opinion. Although, that sugar and stir changes things. The sugar is raw starch and was not part of the OG measurement. So that has me flummoxed. Try it's taste on Sunday then decide.

JSparrow

Taste is fine. It has been on 1.010 since Sunday. I am just worried about bottle bombs again.

I added the sugar water on Tuesday.

Last edited:

B-1

Expert Member
Taste is fine. It has been on 1.010 since Sunday. I am just worried about bottle bombs again

A good way to test is to take 2 samples and put them in 500ml water bottles(seal them). Add sugar to one and yeast to the other and put them in a warm spot(bread yeast is fine for sub 8% beers).
If the yeast one gains pressure its a stuck fermentation (there was still sugar in it)
If the sugar one gains pressure the fermentation was done.