Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Why not?

They're aluminium bottles with screw tops. A capper might just crush them :eek:

I know these bottles, I actually have one still in the cupboard also, they kinda a bit flimsy and weren't really designed for reuse, I personally think a plastic drink bottle would just be better, more structure

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What's the worst that can happen :ROFL::ROFL: Maybe store them in a cooler box with the lid closed while they carbonate just in case one explodes?
That's a certainty, and lesson that was learnt the hard way. ;)

Toxxyc

Executive Member
OK so I'm brewing something for myself this weekend. Already decided on a Marzen. As I posted it on W&A as well:

Malt bill for a 25l batch:
1.9kg Pilsner
1.9kg Vienna (I don't have Munich malt, so this is the closest sub I have that might work)
0.25kg CaraMunich
0.25kg Goldswaen Brown (what an AMAZING malt, by the way)

Hop schedule:
11g T90 13.6 AA hops at 60 minutes for a total of 18 IBUs.
10g Mittelfrueh at flameout for a total of an additional 1 IBU.

I'll be fermenting this one with S-189 I have on hand (saved yeast cake from my Pilsner). It's old, but I'll get it going again and create a nice and strong starter before I pitch the yeast into the fermenter.

I'm planning on 25l into the fermenter, but I'll see how my efficiency plays out. I've got a 6% ABV in mind for this brew. I should be able to get there with 4kgs of malt at my efficiency of 90%. I'm planning on hitting 1.060 OG here. S-189 ferments quite dry, so I'm just hoping I don't drastically overshoot the FG and end up with a 7% beer, but if I do, eh, it'll be a fun drinker then!

I cannot wait for this one!

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
OK so I'm brewing something for myself this weekend. Already decided on a Marzen. As I posted it on W&A as well:

Malt bill for a 25l batch:
1.9kg Pilsner
1.9kg Vienna (I don't have Munich malt, so this is the closest sub I have that might work)
0.25kg CaraMunich
0.25kg Goldswaen Brown (what an AMAZING malt, by the way)

Hop schedule:
11g T90 13.6 AA hops at 60 minutes for a total of 18 IBUs.
10g Mittelfrueh at flameout for a total of an additional 1 IBU.

I'll be fermenting this one with S-189 I have on hand (saved yeast cake from my Pilsner). It's old, but I'll get it going again and create a nice and strong starter before I pitch the yeast into the fermenter.

I'm planning on 25l into the fermenter, but I'll see how my efficiency plays out. I've got a 6% ABV in mind for this brew. I should be able to get there with 4kgs of malt at my efficiency of 90%. I'm planning on hitting 1.060 OG here. S-189 ferments quite dry, so I'm just hoping I don't drastically overshoot the FG and end up with a 7% beer, but if I do, eh, it'll be a fun drinker then!

I cannot wait for this one!
I like the sounds of this one

Pineapple Smurf

How's does Coopers compare to say SAB products?
Better in my opinion and all my friends that have tasted it.
Look it isn't going to win any awards
But it is the easiest thing inn the world to make.
You're just combining all ingredients to make the beer, you cannot **** it up

Pineapple Smurf

Ive been brewing the Coopers kits since 2000

But during lockdown level 5 & 4 I was starting to run out of beers and there was no Coopers in stock so I was forced to buy grains, crack the husk, simmer it for an hr at 70 degrees in the water and then boil it for an hr adding various hops at different stages. Then wait for it to cool down to under 30 degrees.
Only then could I put it all into my fermenter and add the yeast.

Preparing Coopers takes about 15 minutes before adding the yeast and walking away.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Preparing Coopers takes about 15 minutes before adding the yeast and walking away.

Using cans is like home brewing made easy. And while I have made a few great all grains, one thing that works hard in favour of cans is the hedged bet: they're hard to mess up. So while I keep a lot of grain on hand, I also keep a can or two. Today, I did a Morgans Dockside Stout first. It was a quick 23L recipe. Started at 12 and was done by 12h30. It is already bubbling. I am still busy with my all grain bitter ale. Boiling off now.

1612105755409.png

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ive been brewing the Coopers kits since 2000

But during lockdown level 5 & 4 I was starting to run out of beers and there was no Coopers in stock so I was forced to buy grains, crack the husk, simmer it for an hr at 70 degrees in the water and then boil it for an hr adding various hops at different stages. Then wait for it to cool down to under 30 degrees.
Only then could I put it all into my fermenter and add the yeast.

Cost wise for a Coopers kit? How does it compare to buying wort?

EDIT: looks like it's pretty much the same.