Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Smokey888

Expert Member
Once fermentation starts there is a "blanket" of co2 so just take a quick peak in there. Also did you use the correct water?
What do you mean correct water? I used normal tap water like I always do. Never had this issue before. Maybe I am too impatient.

Snyper564

Executive Member
What do you mean correct water? I used normal tap water like I always do. Never had this issue before. Maybe I am too impatient.
It's possible that your tap water is the issue.

Did you treat it?

Occasionally the municipality flushes extra chlorine or chloramine through the water and it might be enough to kill the yeast.

Also try use ro water or treat the tap water with a Camden tablet.

It's expensive to toss a batch due to messed up water.

Also how consistent are your temps is it controlled or just room temp? It's pretty cold in Gauteng and temps fluctuate alot during the day and night.

Last edited:

Smokey888

Expert Member
It's possible that your tap water is the issue.

Did you treat it?

Occasionally the municipality flushes extra chlorine or chloramine through the water and it might be enough to kill the yeast.

Also try use ro water or treat the tap water with a Camden tablet.

It's expensive to toss a batch due to messed up water.

Also how consistent are your temps is it controlled or just room temp? It's pretty cold in Gauteng and temps fluctuate alot during the day and night.
Temp is controlled. Constantly at 19 degrees at the moment. No, I did not treat the water. I always use tap water without any issues. I suspect the yeast might be up to no good.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I use that RO water - more for peace of mind than anything.

I had a problem with a worn grommet that was leaking and preventing the airlock from bubbling. Have you checked yours?

Forgive me if you already said but what yeast are you using?

Smokey888

Expert Member
I use that RO water - more for peace of mind than anything.

I had a problem with a worn grommet that was leaking and preventing the airlock from bubbling. Have you checked yours?

Forgive me if you already said but what yeast are you using?
The grommet and airlock seem fine. I will double-check though. I used the larger yeast that came with the extract kit.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I did some bottling over the weekend. The coopers ale kit I got and the small 5l pale ale kit I got from https://grain-bucket.co.za/.

I took some of the pale ale and carbonated it in my sodastream instead of priming and bottling it. Left it in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill.
Honestly if someone had poured me a glass of it and told me it was a craft beer from some brewery I would have believed it. It was a little more bitter than I would have liked but I would rather drink that than the heineken I have any day.
I'm was sorry when it was finished. Now I have to wait for the remaining beer to prime before I can drink those.

I think my next batch after the weiss I'm doing now will be an ipa.

I also made a collapsible/stack-able beer caddy:

View attachment 1110442
View attachment 1110440

View attachment 1110438

I adaped the design for 440ml bottles from one I found online.

How was the kit from Grain Bucket? I came here to ask if anyone had used them and if it was a good, cheap way to get started and came across your post.

jibo82

Started this to make beer at the start of lock down last year - I am now chasing the craft to produce the best quality beer that I can and to make what I like.

best thing about it is you can make absolutely anything!

My next style is a scottish heavy ale not even available locally.
Seems like a fun hobby. Can't wait to throw myself into it.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Seems like a fun hobby. Can't wait to throw myself into it.
All I can recommend is take time to do research figure out what size batches you want to make etc.

There are many options pot on stove urn etc.

Don't just rush into this, there are a few things I would change but it's a dam awesome hobby!