Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I would love to clone this CBC Krystal Weiss beer

I've only done brew in a bag twice last year, must learn how to make a nice simple Weiss

IMG_20210813_120723.jpg

Snyper564

Executive Member
should be pretty easy to get something similar - use a base krystal weiss recipe ensure similar malts used use wb06 yeast use those 2 hops for bitter and 30min addition for aroma and crash and fine it.

Is it clove (low -16) or clove/banana(med -20) or banana(high-26) flavor that will dictate the temp of the fermentation.

should be pretty easy to get something similar - use a base krystal weiss recipe ensure similar malts used use wb06 yeast use those 2 hops for bitter and 30min addition for aroma and crash and fine it.

Is it clove (low -16) or clove/banana(med -20) or banana(high-26) flavor that will dictate the temp of the fermentation.

Definitely no clove in that beer.

"to be enjoyed with an amusing colleague" lol

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Probably one of the better Weiss beers out there, but I still can't handle more than 2 before i want something else. :p

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Probably one of the better Weiss beers out there, but I still can't handle more than 2 before i want something else. :p
Wow I love this stuff and so far I have only had 1 per day to start the day and then move onto my Black Labels or Soweto Golds or Coopers until I pass out. I really want to make a good Weiss like this one, I will be in heaven, my life will be complete and I can die a happy hobo

Snyper564

Executive Member
Wow I love this stuff and so far I have only had 1 per day to start the day and then move onto my Black Labels or Soweto Golds or Coopers until I pass out. I really want to make a good Weiss like this one, I will be in heaven, my life will be complete and I can die a happy hobo
can you manage your temp control that would be a good start for the weiss esp when getting the right yeast flavor

Mars

Honorary Master
can you manage your temp control that would be a good start for the weiss esp when getting the right yeast flavor
I did a weiss, but its definitely more on the clove side.

I want to try and do a banana style one. Do I need to keep the temperature around 26 for that?

Ive brewed 6 times from premade kits and twice from tins.
Next I want to find a recipe and try and follow that on my own.

Snyper564

Executive Member
I did a weiss, but its definitely more on the clove side.

I want to try and do a banana style one. Do I need to keep the temperature around 26 for that?

Ive brewed 6 times from premade kits and twice from tins.
Next I want to find a recipe and try and follow that on my own.
Apologies temp slightly off but hope this helps

1628861807095.png

See the range as follows:

18 (Clove) 19 20 21 (clove/banana) 22 23 24 (Banana)

I think you can try 25 to ensure banana

The interesting thing about weiss is the flavour comes from the yeast not the wheat used. My friend made a smash beer not 1g of wheat with WB06 and tastes almost exactly like a wheat beer

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Well, it gets a little more complicated than that. You want to ensure enough glucose is present for the formation of the esters you want. Or so the internet tells me. I made a hefe following these guidelines and it was pretty nice with the banana. Not a banana bomb (that's not to style) but it was great for me.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Busy working on a s'more stout recipe. Wanna aim for 7-9% specifically want a big bold stout slowly sipping by the campfire that kinda vibe. That abv will also allow it to age for a long period.

Think:
-Campfire/touch of smoke
-Roast marshmallow
-Chocolate
-Biscuit

For those that dont know what a smore is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S'more

Once this has been done then its onto a fruit cake old ale/stout still wanna see which route im going. Got a recipe for an old ale fruit cake beer from extreme brewing that I might tweak to a stout and incorporate special B for that "raisin" flavor...

I still have 6 barleywines I made over a year ago aging for this Christmas wanna age a few more big beers.

Gotta love home brewing, your only limit is your imagination

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
@GreGorGy if only this Guinness clone was on your nitro!

Just gets better with age!

Did you hit the 42s on it?

I know I have praising the nitro but it has one flaw: nothing ages.I am going to be kegging the 70-20-10 foundation stout today. From the results so far, I know I need to stick to 70-20-10 as I did waiver a bit (a lot). That was intentional so I could bring the taste in line with my expectation one step at a time. Currently, its taste is a little too dark (but that's on a flat taster from when I crashed it yesterday).

Snyper564

Executive Member
Did you hit the 42s on it?

I know I have praising the nitro but it has one flaw: nothing ages.I am going to be kegging the 70-20-10 foundation stout today. From the results so far, I know I need to stick to 70-20-10 as I did waiver a bit (a lot). That was intentional so I could bring the taste in line with my expectation one step at a time. Currently, its taste is a little too dark (but that's on a flat taster from when I crashed it yesterday).
42?

Ended 4.5% thanks for the heads up on Nitro will think carefully. Till then I'll be bottling away.

Stick to the 70 20 10 but try get flaked barley helps alot. If you didn't use it.