Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Just some kegging advice - if you guys were starting out kegging (I have STC and freezer) would you go straight for the kill and get taps or start out and get a picnic taps?

I really like the black NukaTaps just in terms of the look but they dont have flow control, would you rate this as a must?

Proper tap

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
@Snyper564/@saor did you ever do some kefir ferments?

So I've tried the crafty dehydrated grains, it seemed to have done the job until I over fermented it, panicked and then turned it into farmer's cheese believing I can't find the grains any more. However, after watching a few vids I see I should have relaxed and just slowly strained the results until the grains are left, then start with another batch as-is.

Still I can't seem to tell when done is done and it should actually be drained but I'm going to try it either after 24 hours when the very first separation pockets starts to show or just go with odd 24 hours.

I see there is these grains

Otherwise I might pickup these

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Not mine but from a GF related group

"Oops !!!!! Fortunately not mine but here is the story from the owner
"Yesterday I made my most expensive gin, ever, in my Grainfather. All went well until the end. While cleaning up & letting the leftovers cool down, the botanicals in the column compacted & sealed, forming a vacuum. Suddenly I heard a "clunk!" followed by a few more, and this was the result. All because a friend said adding some fresh seasonal blueberries "couldn't hurt"." View attachment 1137438 View attachment 1137440 View attachment 1137442 View attachment 1137446
Which effectively made me think twice before just ordering a grainfather.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
@Snyper564/@saor did you ever do some kefir ferments?

So I've tried the crafty dehydrated grains, it seemed to have done the job until I over fermented it, panicked and then turned it into farmer's cheese believing I can't find the grains any more. However, after watching a few vids I see I should have relaxed and just slowly strained the results until the grains are left, then start with another batch as-is.

Still I can't seem to tell when done is done and it should actually be drained but I'm going to try it either after 24 hours when the very first separation pockets starts to show or just go with odd 24 hours.

I see there is these grains

Otherwise I might pickup these

Did both milk and water kefir, water kefir is super cool. Milk kefir is great too, didn't do either too long due to the fact you need to consume loads of liquid both fun and delicious tho. Yeah alot of these things you over think did that too.

Look at health stores likely cheaper than Brewcraft

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Checking in
I bottled 30 odd cases of Coopers between January and April.
It is now September
Ive been brewing this instant beer since around 2001
Never allowed it to rest this long before, normally I start drinking it after a few weeks

I am gobsmacked, this is a bloody good beer, and no sediment in the bottle when you pour. It has suddenly disappeared. I do not have the answers, but for this entire week of drinking Coopers Cuerva I am very happy

Jitters

I am gobsmacked, this is a bloody good beer, and no sediment in the bottle when you pour. It has suddenly disappeared. I do not have the answers, but for this entire week of drinking Coopers Cuerva I am very happy

Might be time to book an appointment with the eye doc for new specs bud

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I have solid sediment at the bottom of the bottle
Which is not what you said initially. :p
I am gobsmacked, this is a bloody good beer, and no sediment in the bottle when you pour.
I'm pretty new at this but the longer it sits, especially in the fridge, the more solid that sediment seems to set, even for the second pour.

I've got a batch of Mangrove Jacks Rustic Brown that is still bubbling after 20 days... I added an extra 500g of malt and dextrose in the beginning but surely it should be done by now? It's still generating it's own heat which to me says the yeast is still active.

I just need to pick up a graduated cylinder today and I'll be able to check the gravity.

Pineapple Smurf

I'm pretty new at this but the longer it sits, especially in the fridge, the more solid that sediment seems to set, even for the second pour.

I've got a batch of Mangrove Jacks Rustic Brown that is still bubbling after 20 days... I added an extra 500g of malt and dextrose in the beginning but surely it should be done by now? It's still generating it's own heat which to me says the yeast is still active.

I just need to pick up a graduated cylinder today and I'll be able to check the gravity.
That's good to know, Yeah my beers have been sitting in the centre of my flat away from any windows and light since Jan --> March depending on when I bottled them, nice and cold there.
I can now pour all of my Coopers straight out the bottle and it stays crystal clear. The hard sediment sticks to the bottom of the bottle
And it is easy to rinse out as well.
I think it is utter rubbish that a Coopers is ready to drink after a few weeks of bottling.
This method has worked better for me, been bottled 6 months or longer.

Jitters

is it fermenting at ambient? has it been cold there by you? 500G extra is not a lot of extra fermentable's. It should not be taking this long. My normal OG beers are usually done fermenting after 3-4 days, even my high OG beers are done after about 7-10 days.

I would agree with your assessment about the heat, but it should have been done by now. Could you have severely underpitched yeast or pitched old unhealthy yeast?

Went_For_Milk

Expert Member
I think it is utter rubbish that a Coopers is ready to drink after a few weeks of bottling.
Most beers are ready once fermentation completes, but the beer will be "green". I believe any beer should age for atleast 3 months.

My beers are all cold crashed for 3 months before going to keg/bottle

Pineapple Smurf

mmm I forgot to add most of the beers I bottled between Jan --> March I used dextrose instead of household white sugar. I wonder if that had anything to do with the sediment all settling to the bottom of the bottle and making my beer clear instead of the usual slight cloudiness it normally is

1631770556387.png

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
mmm I forgot to add most of the beers I bottled between Jan --> March I used dextrose instead of household white sugar. I wonder if that had anything to do with the sediment all settling to the bottom of the bottle and making my beer clear instead of the usual slight cloudiness it normally is
I doubt it. Yeast gonna eat regardless.

Letting it condition for six+ months on the other hand...

Went_For_Milk

Expert Member

View attachment 1148536
Its all to do with aging. Letting the beer stand for longer allows more of the yeast and proteins to settle out causing the beer to clear up.