Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Here's a recent example of Fermentis HA-18 performance with 4 beer varieties (45 litres each) from a batch I brewed on Sunday and pitched early Monday morning at ~5 am.

I tested the gravities yesterday evening, and all the fermentations were concluded, although the active (visible) fermentations were already finished by midday, quite possibly even earlier.
Beer​
SG​
FG prior yeasts​
FG with HA-18​
Duration re HA-18​
Kolsch
1.042​
1.009​
0.996​
~1.5 days​
Dunkelweizen
1.036​
1.005​
0.996​
~1.5 days​
Chocolate IPA
1.050​
1.017​
1.010​
~1.5 days​
Sweet Milk Stout
1.054​
1.017​
1.008​
~1.5 days​

I started all the fermentations at ~30° C using a small quantity of extracted wort mixed with HA-18, and let that settle for 10 minutes, before lightly mixing and then pitching; I also added yeast nutrient and diammonium phosphate to fast track the start, and finally aerated it -- it hit high krausen just after midday Monday.

Transferred this evening to the secondaries for cold crashing, and then Friday for bottling (~20 crates x 750ml).

Do you have inside info on a lockdown that we don't know about? :p

Nice going :thumbsup:

+1 on joining W&A

menticide

Do you have inside info on a lockdown that we don't know about? :p

Nice going :thumbsup:

+1 on joining W&A
That's still a relatively small / test batch for me; starting test volumes for these recipes were 20 litres, and the goal of these batches was to iron out the ramp up to a larger volume; e.g. 200 litres batches. Also this is the 1st time I'm using HA-18 to scale up these recipes -- just confirming it's scales fine, similarly adjusting DAP, yeast nutrients, hops, and lactose.

I had HA-18 on the back burner during winter, because it prefers a fermentation temperature above 25°C, and none of my larger fermenters are heated / temp controlled.

Basically it's to make sure I've ironed out all the kinks with ratios; making a mistake with a 200 litre batch is costly (e.g. over R2200 for the more complex recipes (e.g. Chocolate IPA).

No crystal ball on lockdowns; I brew with and for friends, and my staff are also engaged, which keeps them happy as they get to enjoy a lot of my test batches and also any less than perfect batches ("mistakes").

Thanks Will consider W&A.

Last edited:

Snyper564

Honorary Master
That's still a relatively small / test batch for me; starting test volumes for these recipes were 20 litres, and the goal of these batches was to iron out the ramp up to a larger volume; e.g. 200 litres batches. Also this is the 1st time I'm using HA-18 to scale up these recipes -- just confirming it's scales fine, similarly adjusting DAP, yeast nutrients, hops, and lactose.

I had HA-18 on the back burner during, because its prefer a fermentation temperature above 25°C, and none of my larger fermenters are heated / temp controlled.

Basically it's to make sure I've ironed out all the kinks with ratios; making a mistake with a 200 litre batch is costly (e.g. over R2200 for the more complex recipes (e.g. Chocolate IPA).

No crystal ball on lockdowns; I brew with and for friends, and my staff are also engaged, which keeps them happy as they get to enjoy a lot of my test batches and also any less than perfect batches ("mistakes").

200l batches? Are you running a micro Brewery?

menticide

200l batches? Are you running a micro Brewery?
Not really... but if you saw my brewing workshop you'd probably think it was.

I was brewing, making wines, sherries, etc. before the lockdowns; so when that happened I was fairly well stocked; but that quickly diminished when my friends caught onto this. Since then because of both the cost saving and quality of our brews we've decided to make it a more permanent joint venture... who knows it may inevitably warp in to a micro brewery.

I've started discussing with a number of the suppliers for wholesale discounts as we've reached a level where our volumes justify it similar to micro breweries-- so far so good.

Also trying to find a more cost effective supplier for grapes; my recent small batch Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blancs have been a success, so we're thinking about ramping that up.

Last edited:

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Not really... but if you saw my brewing workshop you'd probably think it was.

I was brewing, making wines, sherries, etc. before the lockdowns; so when that happened I was fairly well stocked; but that quickly diminished when my friends caught onto this. Since then because of both the cost saving and quality of our brews we've decided to make it a more permanent joint venture... who knows it may inevitably warp in to a micro brewery.

I've started discussing with a number of the suppliers for wholesale discounts as we've reached a level where our volumes justify it similar to micro breweries-- so far so good.

Also trying to find a more cost effective supplier for grapes; my recent small batch Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blancs have been a success, so we're thinking about ramping that up.
That's awesome!

As I said your insights will be valued worts and all side, forum exclusively dedicated to brewing

menticide

As I said your insights will be valued worts and all side
Thanks... I'll do that.

Just as a side note.
Here's an example to illustrate that a 200 litre batch doesn't go quite as far as you think it does:
  • 200 litre batch equates to roughly 22 crates x 750ml (minus trub and lees losses)
  • So if you have 10 thirsty friends who all want some; each friend gets 2 crates, and you're left with 2 crates.
  • 2 crates around my home with thirsty me, my wife and my staff doesn't last very long... I expect the same applies at the homes of my friends, so more 200 litre batches are always required.

Last edited:

binloud

I had HA-18 on the back burner during winter, because it prefers a fermentation temperature above 25°C, and none of my larger fermenters are heated / temp controlled.

Welcome to the thread, seems like you really know your stuff!

What is the flavour profile of HA-18? What's the beer taste? I've used Kveik Voss a few times and it does give a great beer, sometimes gives a slightly odd flavour though.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
I stopped using Voss ... not a fan of the orange flavour it throws with just about all beers.

Oslo is my new goto .... ±10 brews later ;)

Snyper564

Honorary Master
I stopped using Voss ... not a fan of the orange flavour it throws with just about all beers.

Oslo is my new goto .... ±10 brews later ;)
I am crashing my nottie cream ale, I wonder if this might be a better replacement for oslo will feedback on that, its got a massive temp range ans super neutral

binloud

I am busy doing a very late festbier tomorrow, but just using lager yeast so will be while until it’s done.

Draft tower and beer lines installed. Slight cock up however, the taps are incompatible with the towers threads... There's also nowhere in SA to get the correct shank so I'm going to have to bring in direct from keg land in aus.

****ing imperial system.

20211001_175615.jpg 20211001_175313.jpg

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Last big beer for the year is done and dusted.

1633119003461.png
In addition to the above the following was added at flame out and to fermenter
82g Cherries, pineapple, crystalized ginger, raisins and cranberries
22g Chamomile flowers

Beautiful dark red hue

Ended at 1088 pitched onto the US05 the cream ale just finished with and its been bubbling away within the hour I plan to pop one or two bottles this Christmas then store the rest for a few years to come.

1633119019276.png

Drager

Looking into getting a micro brewery license, anyone know more about this process and the requirements? I assume I can't just sell home made beer on a market without some red tape.

B-1

Expert Member
Draft tower and beer lines installed. Slight cock up however, the taps are incompatible with the towers threads... There's also nowhere in SA to get the correct shank so I'm going to have to bring in direct from keg land in aus.

****ing imperial system.

View attachment 1158140 View attachment 1158142

What are the threads? Some of the bsp vs metric ones work fine with some thread tape.(its mostly thread cut angle thats different) Otherwise a hydraulic shop can cut you an adapter.

I've never used hose clamps on my keezer. Thought never even crossed my mind. Just assumed it was such a tight fit it didn't need clamps

Is hoses under pressure, I clamp. Probably not needed but I'll do it once to be safe.

What are the threads? Some of the bsp vs metric ones work fine with some thread tape.(its mostly thread cut angle thats different) Otherwise a hydraulic shop can cut you an adapter.

Will need male 5/8" into the tower and then a female 1" beer thread onto the tap. I've already ordered in from keg land.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Looking into getting a micro brewery license, anyone know more about this process and the requirements? I assume I can't just sell home made beer on a market without some red tape.

No, but you can sell tickets ... these tickets you can exchange for various items .... beer might be had for 3 tickets as example :unsure:

But on a serious note, the answer is get a license :thumbsup: .... takes FOREVER tho .....

As said, go to https://www.wortsandall.co.za ... look for a user called jakeslouw ... he recently went through the process :p