Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

GrootP

Just a question, as I've not worked with a cooler in this scenario. How do you go about mashing [in]? Do you pre-heat the cooler or compensate with the mash-in water temp?
I use the Beersmith software and it gives you the strike water temp subject to the grain temperature, so I measure the grain temperature and then heat the water, normally around 77/79 for 8k grain at 20° C for a full body mash at 78° C

Jitters

I use the Beersmith software and it gives you the strike water temp subject to the grain temperature, so I measure the grain temperature and then heat the water, normally around 77/79 for 8k grain at 20° C for a full body mash at 78° C
you mean 68 yes?

isnt 77/79 a bit high? on brew father for my system it gives me 72c as the strike for a 68c mash.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Those temps seem out of whack. Surely it is 68°C for full body mash?

So the software takes into account heat losses due to grain temp, but not the mash tun heat capacity. That may be something to look into as well.

GrootP

I checked and here it is, you guys are very close.

Attachments

• Beersmith.jpg
    Beersmith.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 16

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Those temps seem out of whack. Surely it is 68°C for full body mash?

So the software takes into account heat losses due to grain temp, but not the mash tun heat capacity. That may be something to look into as well.

You set it up correctly in the equipment profile ...
Screenshot_50.jpg

binloud

What temp do you guys mash at? I did my last at 65C for my festbier but felt like that messed my efficiency. I have seen mashing higher 68-69C increases it without sacrificing attenuation too much.

Also seen that a thinner mash/grist helps increse efficiency?

GrootP

The profile is correct or near enough.
If I get my temps right then my efficiency gets close to 80% , normally 76-78% , though I've had the odd miss with efficiency at low 70's and that my friends is why I need to save for a system with a pump and controls.
I have a very good counterflow chiller and with that it takes me 7 to 8 hours to finish on brewday and sometimes I only finish the cleaning up the next day.
Biggest problem is my hot liquor tank is under powered and takes for ever to get to temp's.
@Dimpie (COMPUTEK) I do the same thing, round up or down a touch.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
What temp do you guys mash at? I did my last at 65C for my festbier but felt like that messed my efficiency. I have seen mashing higher 68-69C increases it without sacrificing attenuation too much.

Also seen that a thinner mash/grist helps increse efficiency?
Depends on what I'm trying to achieve. My mash temps vary between 63 (very rarely) and 69, depending on the scenario.

I've also read that a thinner mash aids in mash efficiency. How much or if it truly does, that I don't know.

binloud

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Okay, I see. I use different software but that shows me the software does take it into account, next question would then be, was the value for that correctly calculated?

Edit: seems you guys can use two different values in that software?

What do you mean?

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Your pic shows a "Mash tun specific heat" input, while @GrootP has one that shows "Mash tun temperature"

Aah ok, Im with you .... that temp is usually close to ambient ... just so the software known you're not starting off at 0º .... and yes, you could pre-heat the coolerbox and change it there :thumbsup:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Trying my hand at cold crashing - only in a cooler with ice/ice bricks. It's currently hovering at 3 or 4° - how long do I keep it at these temps for?

IMG_8777.JPG

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
A day or two should be sufficient
Thanks - do I then bring it back up to room temp before I bottle?

Also - when I prime it I usually calculate the amount based on room temp - is that still the same?