Home Brewing / Micro Brewery / My own beer

Snyper564

Honorary Master
ITS READY!!!!!!!! I present my most elaborate beer to date....

Smoked s'more porter - my Imperial Pastry Porter masterpiece

Attempting to turn this into a BEER

1638547906175.png

Will only have another one this year now about 2.5 months old, then the rest go into long term "storage" a dedicated fridge at 10 degC

It ended just shy of 9% the perfect abv to age. No trace of "hot" alchohol but my belly is warming, going to be awesome for winter.

With Cocoa nibs, roasted marshmallow, vanilla beans and lactose for extra creamy smoothness and 10 malts, all selected to make up the smore flavours.

The head on this beer just turned out to be BEAUTIFUL rich brown color.

Notes of chocolate, coffee, touch of smoke and I can actually taste the marshmallow which I think is really awesome!

I think this thing will age beautifully its already great next time I do something like this I will try barrel age it.

Here it is in all its beauty!!!! I wont lie I am super proud of this one!

1145848-8de0e17cc6735d34989eb0375f89d272.jpg

B-1

Expert Member
Still too warm to cut into but it wasn't a complete waste of flour (of which I'll add more next time)

View attachment 1206940

View attachment 1206944

How long was the proofing/bulk ferment?
As I understand it when you have bubbles at the top like that the proofing was too short.
Cutting it with a lame before baking will also help with oven spring so it puffs up a bit better.
How did it taste?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
How long was the proofing/bulk ferment?
As I understand it when you have bubbles at the top like that the proofing was too short.
Cutting it with a lame before baking will also help with oven spring so it puffs up a bit better.
How did it taste?
Left it to prove for 24 hours. I need to compensate more for the extra liquid in the slurry - it was a little sloppy when I tried to work with it.

Tastes great though. :)

B-1

Expert Member
Left it to prove for 24 hours. I need to compensate more for the extra liquid in the slurry - it was a little sloppy when I tried to work with it.

Tastes great though. :)

OK that's pretty long. Did you do a final shaping with some pull and folds a few hours before baking? It looks really good for the first try with an unknown yeast.

Stfu about bread, we talk beer here.

jk jk jk

Looks delicious, I need dinner.

Sitting with fingers crossed that my IPA didn't get too hot while I don't have power.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
For those who like podcasts I highly recommend this super cool podcast really great series but this episode is on beer!

binloud

Yeah my last one for the year is busy fermenting, also an IPA.

Had to replace my airlock as had a couple blow-offs. SG was a little higher then I was aiming for at 1070.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Contemplating whether or not to brew anything else...

Might try my hands at my first official lager but wanna get the brauhaus in order first - this might be what I need to do :)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Contemplating whether or not to brew anything else...

Might try my hands at my first official lager but wanna get the brauhaus in order first - this might be what I need to do :)
I've been wondering - did you make s'mores before you attempted to make the beer? I'm hoping you can direct me to a source of graham crackers mine are stale.

I've got the Hershey bars and marshmallows are pretty generic but the graham crackers elude me.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
I've been wondering - did you make s'mores before you attempted to make the beer? I'm hoping you can direct me to a source of graham crackers mine are stale.

I've got the Hershey bars and marshmallows are pretty generic but the graham crackers elude me.
I have had smores but not the authentic ones. this is about as close as I can get you

For the cracker flavor I used biscuit and rye malts amogst the 8 other malts

1639146667347.png

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I have had smores but not the authentic ones. this is about as close as I can get you
Ok, thanks. I'll give them a bash but I've tried similar biscuits.

Let me know if you find any - I'll trade Hershey chocolate for them (and not the Canadian crap). :)

abudabi

Expert Member
Off topic but thought you guys and your beer lines might know.

I have a water filter that has std 3/8 in and what I thought was a quarter out line. I bought a quarter inch line from leroy merlin and it's thinner that what I need. Any idea what other shops/hose I can try?

1639747234569.png
In & out lines

View attachment 1214404
Current vs new out line

1639747333254.png
Terrible pic I know, but this seems to indicate ID is ok but OD is not (even though the label reads John guest 1/4" OD x 0.170" ID

Any thoughts?

abudabi

Expert Member
Just to close the loop, it was 1/4" (6mm), 5/16" (8mm) & 3/8" (10mm). Had to settle for a ridiculously overpriced lg part; but it's in and working.