Home mesh wifi

RiaX

Executive Member
Does the deco app show you the signal strength at the deco the TV is connected to?

I havent checked TBH

Green is good.

Flashing red is still connecting.

Connecting your teevee via cable or wifi shouldn't really make much of a difference and if you're streaming Netflix just fine, I suspect your DSTV/YouTube issue isn't with your connection.

Line speed?

I got it connected to the a Deco with a cable but that deco to linked to the main deco via Wi-Fi its seems more stable.

I have a 50mbps fibre line

greg0205

Honorary Master
I havent checked TBH

I got it connected to the a Deco with a cable but that deco to linked to the main deco via Wi-Fi its seems more stable.

I have a 50mbps fibre line
Working a little blind here. I haven't been into a Sammi's menu since I got the Firesticks, but here are my thoughts... Your connection to the network should be just fine with a cable connected to one of the nodes. The teevee would have autodetect the connection and Netflix working means it has.

Also, a 50mbps line has more than enough horsepower for Netflix, DStv and YouTube.

I'm no fan of DStv and inclined to think the problem lies with MC, but YouTube should stream without issue.

Is it buffering or hanging?

Also, are you running a VPN?

RiaX

Executive Member
Working a little blind here. I haven't been into a Sammi's menu since I got the Firesticks, but here are my thoughts... Your connection to the network should be just fine with a cable connected to one of the nodes. The teevee would have autodetect the connection and Netflix working means it has.

Also, a 50mbps line has more than enough horsepower for Netflix, DStv and YouTube.

I'm no fan of DStv and inclined to think the problem lies with MC, but YouTube should stream without issue.

Is it buffering or hanging?

Also, are you running a VPN?

Not running a VPN, it just dies. DSTV will kick me out saying no internet connection and the youtube app jams. Netflix buffers and continues but very rarely.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Not running a VPN, it just dies. DSTV will kick me out saying no internet connection and the youtube app jams. Netflix buffers and continues but very rarely.
DStv is beyond me, but have you tried YouTube through the teevees web browser?

William1102

I bought the deco M5 system. I havent hard wired it yet but the system seems to be connected at all times. However my TV (samsung series 8) keeps dropping the connection on DSTV now and Youtube, thought its quite stable on Netflix.

I set it up with the app when I have the issues the Decos dont flash red they stay green and my PC which is hardwired to the router doesnt lose its connection at all.

Any advice on what I should do ? try and keep it simple I'm not that tech savy with networking and Wifi.

Think its my TV ?

FYI I connected the TV to one of the decos with a cable (not the main deco though).

Samsung 8 series has terrible Wi-Fi , router is next to the TV and still drops and buffering , had to hardwire directly to router

Thor

Honorary Master
Samsung 8 series has terrible Wi-Fi , router is next to the TV and still drops and buffering , had to hardwire directly to router

Same with the Q70, absolutely horrible Wi-Fi which is off you'd think Samsung with their phone experience won't have bad Wi-Fi on their TVs.

deweyzeph

Executive Member

agentrfr

Executive Member
I dont know about others, but I've used Asus 'AI Mesh' (what an awful name zomg) at two locations. It's performance has been great - I have used gigabit cable backhaul for it, not 6GHz due to the ranges involved (long skinnyish premises ~600m and 50m wide, lots of walls and metal between from one side to the other)

Worked a dream. Setup was relatively painless too - set the hub, put the other devices in slave mode and enforce wired backhaul. Click yes twice and bam, all done. 600mbps everywhere, 4 wifi6 base stations. Only 1 SSID visible to users. The routers decide temselves whether to serve 2.4, 5 or 6GHz depending on each client device's capablilty and attenuation.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I dont know about others, but I've used Asus 'AI Mesh' (what an awful name zomg) at two locations. It's performance has been great - I have used gigabit cable backhaul for it, not 6GHz due to the ranges involved (long skinnyish premises ~600m and 50m wide, lots of walls and metal between from one side to the other)

Worked a dream. Setup was relatively painless too - set the hub, put the other devices in slave mode and enforce wired backhaul. Click yes twice and bam, all done. 600mbps everywhere, 4 wifi6 base stations. Only 1 SSID visible to users. The routers decide temselves whether to serve 2.4, 5 or 6GHz depending on each client device's capablilty and attenuation.
Which specific ASUS routers do you need to use though?

agentrfr

Executive Member
Which specific ASUS routers do you need to use though?
A combination of ET8s, an RT-AX-89X (for looks more than anything else really), RT-AX86Us and RT-AC86Us.

If Im honest, I am so impressed with the AC86Us that if I were to do it again I would do it just with those (wifi6 is nice on the others, but really, much of a muchness. Pegging 5GHz AC wifi at 600 mbps everywhere is enough even for uncompressed 8k streaming)

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I have a bunch of older AC68's lying around (from the ADSL days) - was hoping I could use AI Mesh with those but even with firmware upgrade, doesn't work. Would be great if the companies could upgrade/repurpose older units into AI mesh nodes somehow!

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
anyone know if this is a good price (we know BF deals are inflated)

and is this a good system ?

greg0205

Honorary Master
anyone know if this is a good price (we know BF deals are inflated)

and is this a good system ?

or this ?

Both prices are good. The X20s are WiFi 6 if that's important to you.