Home mesh wifi

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
anyone know if this is and can be used as an extender ?

i want to run this to the seperate entrance from the main house router

or rather get the mesh system ?

or if cheaper i am running a lan from the main house to the seperate entrance

can i configure another router there as i have spare routers

only concern is speed, does the speed drop cos as far as i understand the mesh system doesnt drop speeds

netcruiser

anyone know if this is and can be used as an extender ?

i want to run this to the seperate entrance from the main house router

or rather get the mesh system ?

or if cheaper i am running a lan from the main house to the seperate entrance

can i configure another router there as i have spare routers

only concern is speed, does the speed drop cos as far as i understand the mesh system doesnt drop speeds

Lan will always be faster and more reliable than wireless.

Any mesh system is going to reduce speed because it has to transmit the data twice (your device to mesh device, then to next mesh device).

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master

Any mesh system is going to reduce speed because it has to transmit the data twice (your device to mesh device, then to next mesh device).

so if i connect Lan from the front router to the back router

will that be fine

can i configure a old modem to use as a repeater ?

Thor

Honorary Master

Not quite.

Mesh has dedicated tunnels ( additional antenna hardware)

So it works exactly like a complex wire typology

Lan is faster than wireless yes, but the second part isn't relevant because a mesh typology is not a repeater typology

SiR_BP

Noob question. I might be able to get my hands on the TP-Link Deco E4s.

With regards to the setup, does the main one get connected directly to a LAN port on the Fibre ONT or does one connect it a LAN port router?

Speedster

Honorary Master

With regards to the setup, does the main one get connected directly to a LAN port on the Fibre ONT or does one connect it a LAN port router?
I don't think the Deco's do PPPoE themselves, so they'll need a router between them and the ONT. I could be wrong on this though

Mzezman

I thought Decos could PPPOE / DHCP with the ISP without the need for another router in-between them and the ONT / Modem?

maxxis

Expert Member
My Deco M5 can run in Router or Access Point mode.

I use a dedicated router and have the on M5 connected to it via network cable.

skybound

Anyone know what the difference is between the TP Link M4 and S4? Looking through their spec sheets and cant see any differences other than aesthetics.

neoprema

Executive Member
Insurance recently replaced my imported Ubiquity stuff with an Asus Mesh system. I must say the software is not bad. At first it looks gimmicky with all the graphics but it actually does what it says on the tin and so far its reliable.

That said - I have 3x ASUS AX6100's now in our house and inside coverage is fine but outside it gets weak fast.

I had 2 Amplify Alien HD's that got struck by lightning and not only was range in the house perfect but my iPhone would connect to the Wifi while still waiting for the electric gate outside to open from the road. Those things were spectacular range wise.

Mzezman

Insurance recently replaced my imported Ubiquity stuff with an Asus Mesh system. I must say the software is not bad. At first it looks gimmicky with all the graphics but it actually does what it says on the tin and so far its reliable.

That said - I have 3x ASUS AX6100's now in our house and inside coverage is fine but outside it gets weak fast.

I had 2 Amplify Alien HD's that got struck by lightning and not only was range in the house perfect but my iPhone would connect to the Wifi while still waiting for the electric gate outside to open from the road. Those things were spectacular range wise.
Does Asus have external units as well?

Jash GP

Have you guys ever thought from buying from Amazon? for me it looks like a good deal compared to Incredible corruption as the prices are hugely inflated unless it is on special.

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
Have you guys ever thought from buying from Amazon? for me it looks like a good deal compared to Incredible corruption as the prices are hugely inflated unless it is on special.
It honestly depends on what you are looking for, there are plenty of affordable high-quality mesh units in South Africa. We like Deco units but found them to just be too expensive for what they are doing. For their gigabit mesh versions, you could get away by doing proper Access Point Mesh with either Reyee or even Ubiquti.

We find that most people are 100% happy with getting 80-100mbps throughout the house. If you need faster then having the main mesh point be by a good router or just a one-gigabit mesh system. Have seen 600-800mbps on devices close by the Reyee Gigabit devices. Then the much cheaper units all over for a solid 100mbps WiFi.

bumblebee

Ordered Deco X60 set off Amazon last year with some plug adapters and it's been working great for me so far.

Claymore

Executive Member
Are people happy with the Deco M5? Getting a new house, will need to mesh it a bit. Will probably need two 3-packs (outside flats and through walls).