Home Renovation - Flooring Questions

TowerGuru

Expert Member
Hi Guys,

I am buying my first house soon, got a pretty good deal on it, huge property over 3000 square meters lots of expansion possible.

However I want to undertake renovations to get the house up to my standards.

I have a question on flooring.

Currently the house is floored with these hideous polished brown clay bricks. It looks like they are just normal bricks with the perpends facing upwards? I'm not sure exactly until I bash the floor in.

I want to know if anyone knows the most cost effective way to replace this floor?

I have lived in flats with parquet flooring for the last ten years.

I really really love parquet flooring, I am not a huge fan of floor tiles to be honest.

So obviously tiles would be the cheaper option, but then I have to factor in the cost of removing the existing flooring which I think will such a ball ache and cost a ton.

With the parquet flooring, could it not be laid on top of the tiles with some sort of floor levelling material? That would save on costs maybe if that's possible?

From what I have managed to find I am looking at around R1000 per square meter for parquet floors.

Tiling around be around R400 per square meter but that excludes the cost to chip up the existing floor.

So it only makes sense to do parquet if I don't have to chip the old floor up maybe?

Advice?

PS: Please don't mention Laminated Timber Flooring to me, I am not a fan.

ricardo12

hmmm strange that they have laid driveway paving inside the house (that's what I am picturing) anyway...
Parquet flooring isn't cheap as its solid wood and time consuming to lay, but it needs a perfectly level floor to begin with.

You could screed over your current floor to make it level (you'll need a professional to do this right)
Then glue the parquet on top of the new floor (but remember the floor will now be about an inch higher)
Also remember parquet is old and not in fashion anymore, resale will hurt you, tiles are just the better way to go.
Laminate flooring (your favourite) has come a long way, you get waterproof and very impressive ones, but the price is around R800psm2 laid, all the bits and pieces add up!

Since its a new house, I would tile it... if you can tile over the top then great, if not, just chip it out, the guys will do it in a few days and take it away.

WAslayer

Executive Member
1k per sqm for flooring.. damn, you love parquet too much..

Provided the existing floor is rock solid and there are no cracks or things like that forming, you can use self leveling screed to get to a flat, even and smooth surface which would be ready to go for any type of flooring you want to use..

Tman543

You can technically lay anything on top of anything but your floor level would raise thus doors will need to be cut to size or frames will have to be adjusted.

It would be best to remove original flooring and keep same level.

Tiles are the best option, all modern homes use them as they are cost effective and easy maintenance

qscwbt

Expert Member
you do not need to chop out the floor. You can tile directly on top depending on condition. Option 2 would be laminate flooring.
Post a pic of the floor.

Neuk_

Executive Member
When we renovated our house we kept a lot of the original parquet flooring but lay it in a herring bone layout. It was not cheap to do, it took longer than expected and we have a few issues here and there to sort out besides scratches from movers, our dogs and our son who is learning to walk. I love it though...

f06a58579126e6e0318d0d6c3d463db7.jpg

Speedster

Honorary Master
As others have mentioned, floor height is an issue. Cement screed should be at least 2.5cm, with parquet on top raises your floor by a good 5cm (if not more).

Another option is to use something like smooth & patch from technical finishes. I like the look of cement flooring.

If it was me I'd probably remove the existing bricks and put down a cement screed, with a coloured top.

Fingerlessliz

What would be a cheap option (if you're into it) is a polished / painted concrete floor. You can screed over the existing floor or use a leveling compound and then just polish or paint over it. We also recently bought a new house and it had hideous carpet tiles from the 1960s... We ripped it up and just painted the concrete underneath for now. It looks great to me and we can tile over sections of it later if we want to. IMG_20210709_165617.jpg

TowerGuru

Expert Member
Thanks for all your comments, with regards to the floor level changing I am not too concerned, I am basically going to gut the whole house and start from scratch, (bit by bit as budget allows), doors, windows, walls, floors everything is going to be re-done.

Parquet is never out of style lol. I want an unstained matt very light color finish, not dark or stained.

It seems though that everyone here likes tiles? Do you not get irritated when its cold and you have to walk barefoot on the tiles? I suppose I could heat them, but that is even more cost.

I actually wouldn't mind polished concrete either, but my friend had it done in his house and he has had endless problems with cracking and sealing. he says he wished he hadn't done it?

Speedster

Honorary Master
Thanks for all your comments, with regards to the floor level changing I am not too concerned, I am basically going to gut the whole house and start from scratch, (bit by bit as budget allows), doors, windows, walls, floors everything is going to be re-done.

Parquet is never out of style lol. I want an unstained matt very light color finish, not dark or stained.

It seems though that everyone here likes tiles? Do you not get irritated when its cold and you have to walk barefoot on the tiles? I suppose I could heat them, but that is even more cost.

I actually wouldn't mind polished concrete either, but my friend had it done in his house and he has had endless problems with cracking and sealing. he says he wished he hadn't done it?
Problems with concrete come in when done poorly / hastily. A properly laid and cured screed of sufficient thickness should never crack (apart from the hairline cracks that give it character). You mix colour tint in to the very top of the cement which then looks pretty cool

TowerGuru

Expert Member
Problems with concrete come in when done poorly / hastily. A properly laid and cured screed of sufficient thickness should never crack (apart from the hairline cracks that give it character). You mix colour tint in to the very top of the cement which then looks pretty cool
i guess my friend got a **** contractor then?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Save yourself all future pain, just get a self-leveling screed done and put vinyl on top of that.
Everything else has a bunch of downsides when compared with vinyl.