Home - RICA Blocked me for having too many sim cards!!??

jacquie4211

Please can someone give me some advice. MTN said they could not help. I went to purchase a pay as you go sim card today and was told that I had been blocked from getting another SIM card as I have 10 registered to my name. I am not sure how this is possible... but anyway... I have found 2 old SIM cards I no longer use. MTN said that they cant help me in store. How do you get SIM cards unregistered so that you can purchase another one? Any advice would be appreciated.

upup

Executive Member
I must say, I have bought/ got, rica them, and give them away. I don't know how many I got, but not more then ten.
I wonder if you get a company rica thing as well. But I am surprise, surely if Jacob stortkop want to give a phone to every of his 25 children and his how many wifes, surely there should not be a limit.

neoprema

Expert Member
Did you use your Nigerian name? I mean they have hundreds of SIMs and MTN and other networks don't seem to mind..

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Every time a friend or family member comes to visit from overseas I get them a Telkom sim - there have to be 20+ registered to my name.

ld13

Honorary Master
Always thought Telkom was the only one that limited the about the amount of SIMs to your name to ~10...
And there @bwana goes and claim 20. Dunno, I ran into the 10 limit as did a friend. But that was 18 odd months ago. Random.

In any case, was about to suggest you try to obtain the list of numbers registered to your name (if that is even possible), and then get them to de-rica the unknown numbers, only to find this lovely message on the rica portal when I logged in to check the procedure:

1593449197154.png

That is lovely. Then Facebook/Hellopeter is your only other choice?

Only other thing I could find is the MTN RICA helpdesk contact number: 083 123 RICA (i.e. 083 123 7422)

Swa

Honorary Master
They're BS'ing you. Most networks allow a hundred if there's even a limit at all. Old ones that are deactivated also don't count.

"D"

was told that I had been blocked from getting another SIM card as I have 10 registered to my name.
Rica, who is known as a generous companion, has reached her breaking point due to the extent of all that polygamy, it seems.

wombling

That seems pretty fishy to me. So you need to Rica a sim card every time you buy a prepaid sim. Now the networks will deactivate the sim card and cycle the number back into their prepaid sim pool if the prepaid user does not make use of the sim card within x months depending on the network. Seems to me the network should be liable for the de-rica process if you no longer hold the number right?

Swa

Honorary Master
That seems pretty fishy to me. So you need to Rica a sim card every time you buy a prepaid sim. Now the networks will deactivate the sim card and cycle the number back into their prepaid sim pool if the prepaid user does not make use of the sim card within x months depending on the network. Seems to me the network should be liable for the de-rica process if you no longer hold the number right?
Because they don't Rica a number but a sim card it's technically still Rica'd after being deactivated and has to be deRica'd. Seems some networks aren't doing it correctly.