Horrible! Terrible Account Department From Afrihost

grantduke

About a hour ago, I signed up for Afrihost. I completed the debit order page and submitted my information.

But for me to incur less charges, I did a EFT payment. Because every time a debit order is run, I'm incurring a fee.

After doing to EFT and contacting Afrihost to ask them to not run the Debit Order and that I have already paid for the service. They tell me that the debit order will still run. WTF!!!! :mad::mad::mad: So now I will pay twice for the same service.

And their reason as to why they can't stop the debit order from running is that their system is automated. I mean WTF! What is someone presses the wrong button and then everyone's account is then run twice.

Is there anything you think I can do?

So far I'm very pissed and more pissed that the account manager is thinking it funny by laughing :mad::mad::mad:

Jola

Honorary Master
All I can say to comfort you is that Telkom's Customer Service is MUCH worse.

zadude

I'm amazed you even got through to them! Their service used to be so good, but I have more luck with Telkom these days.

Sad, because I really like their business concept.

And just a heads up: if they charge you twice, they won't refund, but give you a credit note instead. I've had many billing problems with them and the only way to get a refund is to beg and speak to the right person.

Good luck!

wingnut771

Honorary Master
About a hour ago, I signed up for Afrihost. I completed the debit order page and submitted my information.

But for me to incur less charges, I did a EFT payment. Because every time a debit order is run, I'm incurring a fee.

After doing to EFT and contacting Afrihost to ask them to not run the Debit Order and that I have already paid for the service. They tell me that the debit order will still run. WTF!!!! :mad::mad::mad: So now I will pay twice for the same service.

And their reason as to why they can't stop the debit order from running is that their system is automated. I mean WTF! What is someone presses the wrong button and then everyone's account is then run twice.

So far I'm very pissed and more pissed that the account manager is thinking it funny by laughing :mad::mad::mad:

What's wrong with using a credit card? Instant activation!

chrisc

Honorary Master
Debit orders are scheduled between 10 and 14 days from the due date. Once the instruction has gone to the d/o company (like Netcash) it cannot be revoked

But next months one can be stopped. So you will only incur one set of d/o fees

It is hardly their fault if you filled in the incorrect page

Type RSA

Expert Member
I'm amazed you even got through to them! Their service used to be so good, but I have more luck with Telkom these days.

Sad, because I really like their business concept.

And just a heads up: if they charge you twice, they won't refund, but give you a credit note instead. I've had many billing problems with them and the only way to get a refund is to beg and speak to the right person.

Good luck!

This, I think they got too big for themselves and are running short on staff members. Used to get responses fairly quickly. Now you have to hold for 20 minutes before someone picks up. Online call logging is even worse.

Grant

Honorary Master

you have no idea what you are in for.
i have had problems for over a month now - and communicating with them is impossible, so much so that the following thread was created:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/596305-Afrihost-communication-issues-afriman

sent a pm to afriman

instead of dealing with the communication issues - an attempt was made to shift focus to an arrears amount of R200

Grant

Honorary Master
Debit orders are scheduled between 10 and 14 days from the due date. Once the instruction has gone to the d/o company (like Netcash) it cannot be revoked

But next months one can be stopped. So you will only incur one set of d/o fees

It is hardly their fault if you filled in the incorrect page

I have news for you
Despite my repeated instructions to stop processing a debit order against an account of mine, i was told it could not be done "it is the system".
Instead every month the line would be suspended & a penalty would be levied against my account.
An IT company blaming "the system" ???

Dade Murphy

Wasn't happy with the service when I left AH at the time when there was an IPC shortage but the support was always great, especially the reps around here.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep

I see you posted this exact post on our Facebook Page, Hello Peter and now in a new thread (you also created another thread about problems you have with our accounts department)

Firstly, I just wanna say that we are not at fault here. You agreed to a debit order when you signed up for the product. It clearly stated that you agree and understand that your bank account will be debited, as per our terms and conditions. You actually have to tick a little box to proceed to opt into this. Why you then decided to pay by EFT as well, is totally your choice. Aside from the fact that is a payment method that we do not support, you didn't really give us a choice or consult us, and we can't really physically stop you from making a payment if you choose to do so. But ultimately, you are calling foul and saying we are horrible, but we only did exactly what we said we would do. We at no stage asked you to then make an EFT - I still do not understand how that made sense in any way.

Secondly, posting this on multiple forums, trying to bring negative attention to our brand is a very poor approach. We've been very accommodating when you were having problems in the past (which you mentioned in your other thread), and I think we really went out of our way to assist you. I'm not sure why you started a new ClientZone profile - that's your prerogative I guess. But it's really a very one-sided story when you don't acknowledge the fees we have written off and the time we've also spent trying to assist you.

If someone laughed at you - that shouldn't have happened - I dunno if that's why you are ultimately so angry about this issue. But the real elephant in the room here is this - we have specific payment methods that we accept, and that is OUR prerogative as a service provider. At the end of the day those are the terms that you agree to when you sign up. We say very clearly we do not accept EFT. We simply do not. We accept debit order and credit card, it's all over our terms when you sign up, it's in our public terms, it's every where you look. When you decide that you would rather pay us in a different way, or not at all, you breach our agreement with you, and we cannot be held liable for the consequences or the inconvenience you may experience in deciding to ignore the material terms of our service agreement to you.

grantduke

I see you posted this exact post on our Facebook Page, Hello Peter and now in a new thread (you also created another thread about problems you have with our accounts department)

Firstly, I just wanna say that we are not at fault here. You agreed to a debit order when you signed up for the product. It clearly stated that you agree and understand that your bank account will be debited, as per our terms and conditions. You actually have to tick a little box to proceed to opt into this. Why you then decided to pay by EFT as well, is totally your choice. Aside from the fact that is a payment method that we do not support, you didn't really give us a choice or consult us, and we can't really physically stop you from making a payment if you choose to do so. But ultimately, you are calling foul and saying we are horrible, but we only did exactly what we said we would do. We at no stage asked you to then make an EFT - I still do not understand how that made sense in any way.

Secondly, posting this on multiple forums, trying to bring negative attention to our brand is a very poor approach. We've been very accommodating when you were having problems in the past (which you mentioned in your other thread), and I think we really went out of our way to assist you. I'm not sure why you started a new ClientZone profile - that's your prerogative I guess. But it's really a very one-sided story when you don't acknowledge the fees we have written off and the time we've also spent trying to assist you.

If someone laughed at you - that shouldn't have happened - I dunno if that's why you are ultimately so angry about this issue. But the real elephant in the room here is this - we have specific payment methods that we accept, and that is OUR prerogative as a service provider. At the end of the day those are the terms that you agree to when you sign up. We say very clearly we do not accept EFT. We simply do not. We accept debit order and credit card, it's all over our terms when you sign up, it's in our public terms, it's every where you look. When you decide that you would rather pay us in a different way, or not at all, you breach our agreement with you, and we cannot be held liable for the consequences or the inconvenience you may experience in deciding to ignore the material terms of our service agreement to you.

I agree that I tick that box. But the question still stands, why can't the debit order be stopped? And if it is all that automated, there must be a over right?

If I may also ask, why do you have a problem with me having more than one Clientzone account? Just for you information, the One account is for me; the one with the Free Gig account. The other one is a account my dad took out with Afrihost. But as of this month I will be taking over that account and paying it my self.

But unfortunately that will not happen as I will take my money to other company.

The funds in my bank account is not Afrhost's is mine. So my voice is the last say as to Yes or No on what happens with it. Just remember that we the end users of you services are the ones paying your salary each month. Without us, well you can properly figure that out for yourself.

May I also ask where Afrihost has every written off any fees? Because my dad always paid his account in full. And I always made sure of that, as I has the main user.

It is just a pity that Afrihost's support has went through the drain. I must admit, I have received must better support from Telkom's Accounts Department.

I'm actually sad that I ordered a Afrihost Mobile and Modem from you

Goodbye

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep

Made a mistake here, I confused you with grantza who also posted in this thread, apologies for that. The waiver of fees related to that thread which he referenced here as well.

Ultimately, the issue is you agreed to a debit order and the payment was submitted. We made a contract for services for which payment forms a material term. You cannot unilaterally change the terms of a contract without the other party's consent and then hold them in breach - which is effectively what you are doing now. Not only is their no basis to do so, but it's very poor form and not good business.

I wish you the absolute best with your new provider, I'm guessing they will be happy with your chosen way of conducting business. I'm sorry that we could not accommodate you.

broken1

Expert Member
You can ask the bank to stop/reject the debit order...but it will cost you. Approx R 10 with FNB (who also don't charge for debit orders by the way)

Two sides to every coin but the customer is always right? Right?

Every customer feels like them leaving will kill the business but the reality is for every good customer, there can be a bad customer. You get it right when you have more good than bad...but that's hard to measure as no one writes multiple posts on multiple forums. Like me, happy customers continue to plod along and don't say a word.