Host cancelling booking.com reservation 3 days before trip.

x32

We booked a weekend away in Clarens for this coming weekend, 6 - 9 August, through booking.com

The booking was made on 22 July 2021.

The host contacted me a short while ago to say that she has double booked and will need to cancel. She then said that she will try find something else for us in the area (but it doesn't look promising).

I then contacted booking.com via live chat and the agent said that they will look into it and come back to me within 24 hours.

When I search for available accommodation in Clarens on booking.com it shows nothing available for this weekend.

Has anyone experienced something similar? And, if yes, how was the situation resolved?

WollieVerstege

Double bookings happens all the time - it is only weird that they only realized it now.. Usually alternative accommodation is provided, but if unavailable, it should be a full refund/credit.
Have to say though never personally experienced it on Lekkeslaap, but twice via Nightsbridge. Was never an issue though.

x32

Double bookings happens all the time - it is only weird that they only realized it now.. Usually alternative accommodation is provided, but if unavailable, it should be a full refund/credit.
Have to say though never personally experienced it on Lekkeslaap, but twice via Nightsbridge. Was never an issue though.
Yeah, that's what I said to the host... she should have informed us 12 days ago.

They will probably end up giving me a refund but it will be quite annoying as I was looking forward to getting away and now its too late to book anything else.

RanzB

Honorary Master
Yeah, that's what I said to the host... she should have informed us 12 days ago.

They will probably end up giving me a refund but it will be quite annoying as I was looking forward to getting away and now its too late to book anything else.

I wonder if there's something happening there. Check availability now, the prices are bonkers.

1627994026741.png

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I wonder if there's something happening there. Check availability now, the prices are bonkers.

View attachment 1119584
Its probably for the long weekend.

Its happened to us before on other booking platforms that if you don't take the entire long weekend they cancel the booking. What may have happened here is someone wanted the entire week so to get the booking they cancel the current booking (you) so that they can get the week booking.

Its really nasty but I also understand that they only get bookings at certain times so have to make the best of it.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
We booked a weekend away in Clarens for this coming weekend, 6 - 9 August, through booking.com

The booking was made on 22 July 2021.

The host contacted me a short while ago to say that she has double booked and will need to cancel. She then said that she will try find something else for us in the area (but it doesn't look promising).

I then contacted booking.com via live chat and the agent said that they will look into it and come back to me within 24 hours.

When I search for available accommodation in Clarens on booking.com it shows nothing available for this weekend.

Has anyone experienced something similar? And, if yes, how was the situation resolved?

Check if there is space at Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets, that is just 25 min drive from Clarens:

Also other options have space at Golden Gate:

Reactions: x32

krycor

Honorary Master
Had something similar happen to me once on AirBnB wherein lady had auto accept on and then on the way there (it was an overnight pit stop) she claimed no room, doesn’t know how to use AirBnB properly etc.

Was annoyed as hell as I had to drive to next stop/in-laws and only got there past midnight..

AirBnB did full refund but yah it sucked and was glad we got there safe as I wasn’t planning on another 6+hrs driving.

Tip: Always conform, over and over indirectly.. ie asking what’s around the area etc.