Hot 91.9 FM fires DJ Sasha Martinengo for calling Malema a monkey

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You can rant about how wrong something is all you like, if it's how things are it's how they are and you need be conscious of this. Right or wrong.

It's like riding a motorcycle. You only had right of way if you survive the accident.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
That's a really kuk response.

Remember that kid with the coolest monkey in the jungle shirt? His mom had no issue with it and knew what it was about yet stores got vandalized. There are black youtube personalities out there whith monkey in their nicknames (they chose) so if you refer to them as monkey is it also racist? You've lost the plot imho.
The main people I will be laughing at are you lot.

As I said earlier, I've long recognised that nothing that is said here will change anyone's opinion on this issue. And so next time this happens, the same posters will pitch up, have the same outrage at the outrage, and fail to recognise how offensive this is to a lot of black people worldwide and it's historical context.

So, as you were. Will remind you of this at the next event ;)

Tokolotshe

Honorary Master

As I said earlier, I've long recognised that nothing that is said here will change anyone's opinion on this issue. And so next time this happens, the same posters will pitch up, have the same outrage at the outrage, and fail to recognise how offensive this is to a lot of black people worldwide and it's historical context.

What we are seeing is those that shout the loudest and cause the most kuk get recognition. A lot of it is oraganized manufactured outrage as a form of attack. Being a good law abiding citizen counts for squat. We only have to read what the EFF said they'd do, how 91.fm FM tried mitigating it, also how it turned out.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
What we are seeing is those that shout the loudest and cause the most kuk get recognition. A lot of it is oraganized manufactured outrage as a form of attack. Being a good law abiding citizen counts for squat. We only have to read what the EFF said they'd do, how 91.fm FM tried mitigating it, also how it turned out.

Isn't that always the case in life? Whether it's your siblings, or your colleagues at work. It's the majority middle that get screwed by both sides, in every situation

ponder

Honorary Master

No you're full of schite. Not every monkey reference is racist and you flatly refuse to accept that. I on the other hand am quite happy to accept and acknowledge that the majority are BUT not all. You can laugh at me all you want but it simply does not change the facts of the matter.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
No you're full of schite. Not every monkey reference is racist and you flatly refuse to accept that. I on the other hand am quite happy to accept and acknowledge that the majority are BUT not all. You can laugh at me all you want but it simply does not change the facts of the matter.

No, you're the one who's full of shite. Where have I refused to accept that? Can you point it out?

What you seem to lack understanding of is that it's irrelevant whether that particular reference is racist or not. It is deemed offensive enough for us as civilized humans to be able to hold our tongues back a little bit, as we are able to do.

Next, you'll be demanding the right to bring back the k word into normal circulation, as the context in which it's used is how it's meant to be judged.

The simple fact of the matter is you don't call a black person an ape or monkey and expect to get away with it for very long. Whether it meets your sensibilities or not has no bearing on the issue.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
No, you're the one whose full of shite. Where have I refused to accept that? Can you point it out?

What you seem to lack understanding of is that it's irrelevant whether that particular reference is racist or not. It is deemed offensive enough for us as civilized humans to be able to hold our tongues back a little bit, as we are able to do.

Next, you'll be demanding the right to bring back the k word into normal circulation, as the context in which it's used is how it's meant to be judged.

The simple fact of the matter is you don't call a black person an ape or monkey and expect to get away with it for very long. Whether it meets your sensibilities or not has no bearing on the issue.

I'm sorry but there's no context where the k word is acceptable unless it's used in islamic scripture in it's original form.

As for the rest of it I get the racial connotation but it's simply not racist in all instances. If I call a black person who's own chosen nickname is monkey it simply cannot be racist. If I tell 5 kids 'you monkeys get out of the tree before you hurt yourselves' or 'stop monkeying around' etc and one of the kids happens to be black it's not racist, there never was any racist intent or connotation.

Dave

Honorary Master
allow me to present 2 of many back people i find rather "aesthetically appealing" - chad moss & our own lunga shabalala:

I think you’ve blown any chance with Lewis with that public display of infidelity...

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I'm sorry but there's no context where the k word is acceptable unless it's used in islamic scripture in it's original form.

As for the rest of it I get the racial connotation but it's simply not racist in all instances. If I call a black person who's own chosen nickname is monkey it simply cannot be racist. If I tell 5 kids 'you monkeys get out of the tree before you hurt yourselves' or 'stop monkeying around' etc and one of the kids happens to be black it's not racist, there never was any racist intent or connotation.

How can there be no context where the k word is acceptable. There are tonnes of occasions where it could be used as a descriptor. Even in a complimentary manner.

"Are you able to sort out my car?"
" No man, this is too difficult for me. If there is anyone in the world who can fix it, it's that guy over there" (points to group of men in the distance)
"Which guy?"
"The k*."

No malice, no racist intent. Quite the opposite.

But that doesn't happen, or is a no go. Not because of it's ability to describe a person's appearance, but it's long history as a derogatory word, and the connotations it carries with it. As is the case here. Whether you see it or not.

Swa

Honorary Master
No, you're the one who's full of shite. Where have I refused to accept that? Can you point it out?

It's you who have lost the plot. A society which holds its tongue for fear of upsetting someone is one that quickly gets nowhere. And lo and behold look where we are heading. The fact of the matter is that context is everything. Plenty of words without any connotation that can 'offend' depending on how they're used. This isn't about sensible interpretation but rather a means to an end by preclassifying certain words as causing offense.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
It's you who have lost the plot. A society which holds its tongue for fear of upsetting someone is one that quickly gets nowhere. And lo and behold look where we are heading. The fact of the matter is that context is everything. Plenty of words without any connotation that can 'offend' depending on how they're used. This isn't about sensible interpretation but rather a means to an end by preclassifying certain words as causing offense.

And certain words and situations exist where context is irrelevant. I dunno which world you are living in, but I prefer to live in the real one.

Swa

Honorary Master
And certain words and situations exist where context is irrelevant. I dunno which world you are living in, but I prefer to live in the real one.
Yeah, like $hithead (still not irrelevant context). Funny that calling someone an ape is worse. That seems like a retarded world.

The Jam

Honorary Master
Does that make Darwin a speciest? That’s got to be worse than a racist.

dlk001

Executive Member
Most of us are able to cope with getting our points across without resorting to something that is known to be insulting

Exactly, any mature person can get a point across without resorting to something that is insulting.