Hot weather: Welsh outlets shut due to 'unbearable' temperatures

rh1

Expert Member

A pub and a restaurant have both closed due to scorching temperatures in Wales.

The Pipeworks Bar said the heat was "unbearable" for staff behind the bar at Pontyclun in Rhondda Cynon Taf.

The Stone Crab restaurant in the Welsh seaside resort of Saundersfoot in Pembrokeshire has also shut and said it "cannot let our staff continue to suffer in this hot weather".

Monday was Wales' hottest day of 2021 as 30.9C temperatures were recorded in Cardiff amid an extreme weather alert.

The Met Office issued one of its new-style extreme heat weather warnings for the first time for parts of the UK, including larges parts of Wales.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
You quickly get used to cooler weather. In SA I used to have no problems with 30 degree temp. Been in the UK for 10 years now and anything over 20 and I'm dying.

29.1 inside today - can't handle it. Bring back winter! :)

Its odd, but SA 30 is not the same as UK 30

cerebus

Honorary Master
You quickly get used to cooler weather. In SA I used to have no problems with 30 degree temp. Been in the UK for 10 years now and anything over 20 and I'm dying.

I don't even know if it's a matter of getting used to hotter/colder weather. It actually feels hotter. 40c in Texas is different from 40c in CPT, and 40c in NL is absolutely unbearable.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Have to agree. I think its something to do with a combination of UV levels, humidity and acclimatisation.

rh1

Expert Member
In Summer, anything under 25c is no longer swimming weather. 30c is nice day. 35c+ now it starting to heat up. From 38c+ is when it is to hot to work in the garage for instance.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I don't even know if it's a matter of getting used to hotter/colder weather. It actually feels hotter. 40c in Texas is different from 40c in CPT, and 40c in NL is absolutely unbearable.
Thats a humidity thing.

30 with humidity is unbearable especially indoors. 30 outdoors is fine if you have air moving but then its not actually 30 is it ?

buka001

Honorary Master
I was in Wales (Pembrokshire and Snowdonia) last week with temperatures around 28 degrees. Felt like hell.

I have worked outdoors in 45 degree weather in SA and that was far easier than Wales last week.

Grant

Honorary Master
I was in Wales (Pembrokshire and Snowdonia) last week with temperatures around 28 degrees. Felt like hell.

I have worked outdoors in 45 degree weather in SA and that was far easier than Wales last week.
Must be closer to the sun

The Voice

Honorary Master
For some reason 35C+ in SA is way more bearable/manageable than 30C in the UK. The heat here just hits different, can't really explain it. May be the fact that the country has been designed to retain heat, but even outside it's not great. The humidity isn't that much of a contributing factor (I've been to KZN and lived in Miami) - it just feels a bit muggy.

nightjar

Executive Member

Grant

Honorary Master
For some reason 35C+ in SA is way more bearable/manageable than 30C in the UK. The heat here just hits different, can't really explain it. May be the fact that the country has been designed to retain heat, but even outside it's not great. The humidity isn't that much of a contributing factor (I've been to KZN and lived in Miami) - it just feels a bit muggy.
Definitely closer to the sun

maumau

Honorary Master
SA built to keep things cool, Wales built to keep things warm.

EDIT: agree on humidity.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Definitely closer to the sun
The sunlight in SA is still brighter/more intense than here, though. If memory serves, SA lies quite close to the tropic of Capricorn, while the UK is quite a distance away from the tropic of Cancer.

vigras rojara

Expert Member

That is so true.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Can we exchange some of our highveld negatives for their positives? Tomorrow is going to suck in GP.