Hourly rates for ad hoc IT support (CPT)

Merlin

Expert Member
Hi all,

I've been out of the IT support game for some time now. That said, an old customer's just given me a shout. They'd like to engage my private services to sort out some IT glitches and have a look-see at their small network, to ensure that everything is running smoothly.

They're about 25 kms from me.

What is a fair rate at this point, please?

Thank you.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Hi all,

I've been out of the IT support game for some time now. That said, an old customer's just given me a shout. They'd like to engage my private services to sort out some IT glitches and have a look-see at their small network, to ensure that everything is running smoothly.

They're about 25 kms from me.

What is a fair rate at this point, please?

Thank you.

Can you not access the network remotely? Then build in a "retainer" of sorts that covers you if you have drive out say twice per month and the rest you take your hourly rate * whatever hours.

I'd phone other places offering a similar service and check what they ask, then add a bit to that, seeing as they reached out and want you specifically.

Just make sure to check with your current employer about moonlighting or the like - you don't want to get fired for your side hustle.

Merlin

Expert Member
Thanks. Appreciate the tips.

I've no idea of their current setup. Definitely remote access after the initial consult.

Whatever pays the bills.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
yeah i would make call out fee very expensive to prevent them abusing you for stupid stuff.
They must understand that there will be an initial call out cause you need to assess their setup, perhaps even offer a 50% discount on this 1st call out.
Once remote app is installed make your bux off that at a nice rate for them.
But on call out nope, drill them AA travel rate plus time per hour !!!!

Reactions: Yuu