How a COVID-19 contact tracing app works in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
How a COVID-19 contact tracing app works in South Africa

Contact tracing apps could play an important role in South Africa's fight to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Traditionally, contract tracing is performed manually by humans and involves interviewing people who have tested positive for a disease in order to identify locations and people who they may have come in contact with.

mister

Executive Member
“We do not forward any geolocation data to any government entity unless a user who tests positive actively consents.”

#like

Zukat

Expert Member
This will only work if 60-70% of population will download and use this app, otherwise you will be the loner walking through the city. And why would anyone bother downloading and draining their battery for this app?

dgerber

This will only work if 60-70% of population will download and use this app, otherwise you will be the loner walking through the city. And why would anyone bother downloading and draining their battery for this app?
Other apps are using bluetooth. I doesnt seem like this one does. You only start the app when entering premisis that has a scanner for the QR code - once scanned you close the app again so its not constantly using your GPS or Bluetooth. Also they mention you can print the code - so a phone isn't even necessary.

I think the issue here is uptake and the only way you will get uptake is if for example the Banks, Schools etc say no entry without the QR code. I think this is going to be a tough sell.

I like the concept and personally I would use it.

Yskasmetnstoof

OK. So I give my photo and id to a program linked to the cloud and it must be scanned when I go into a bank or state institutions for things like car licences or passports. And at airports and stations. But I shouldn't worry. The state will not use it for anything but to protect me against the terrible covid epidemic. And also the next epidemic, they being so caring and stuff.
I remember now my id is already linked to my bank account....and directly to the database at home affairs.
I don't wear a metal foil hat and I don't mind identifying myself on the bank app with my id... but trust this govt to monitor my movements? Fark that...

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
They will already take your smokes, your flip-flops, T-shirts and shorts if the stop you , what makes you think Cele's brown shirts wont take your phone and place you in mandatory quarantine if you don't have this installed?

markings

Expert Member
Scanning QR codes by the place you go to is a non-starter. Data collection must be automatic and not require any other hardware.
Human tracing is not capable of handling the number of infections. Furthermore it is error prone relying on memory.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Will never fly really.

Companies won't implement the QR code at the entrance, and most end users wouldn't be arsed to scan it even if it was there.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This QR nonsense is a non-starter. Will wait for whichever app leverages Google and Apple's API.

JurgensBeMe

Infected persons can choose to disclose if they have tested positive on the public health app, and this will notify users with whom they may have come into contact with in the 14-day incubation period of the virus.

there is some real bio-ethical concerns here. There is lots of regulations in how medical information can and cannot be used. The issue of consent is just one factor.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
So now that this app is in the spotlight, there is a lot of Fake News going around about the Government's contact tracing app...

I decided to do my own homework and I've installed the app for myself and run some tests to check on the data it is transmitting. When I installed the app the only permission it asked for was to use Bluetooth mode. There was no request to use my Contacts List, Microphone, Camera, Location Data or anything else, and this is confirmed in the permissions list AFTER installation as well. The app also has transmitted very little data and all the data transmitted is within one IP range. So far it shows zero contacts on my phone. The claim that it uses your contact list and your Facebook is distinctly FALSE, it never accessed either of those on my phone.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 12.14.20.jpeg

These are the apps on my phone which have permission to access my contacts. As you can see the COVID app is not on that list.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 12.16.39.jpeg

Notice the part in the screenshot above where it says "No permissions requested" The only thing it is using is Bluetooth (to check if anyone else with COVID comes close to me).

hj007

Expert Member
So now that this app is in the spotlight, there is a lot of Fake News going around about the Government's contact tracing app...

I decided to do my own homework and I've installed the app for myself and run some tests to check on the data it is transmitting. When I installed the app the only permission it asked for was to use Bluetooth mode. There was no request to use my Contacts List, Microphone, Camera, Location Data or anything else, and this is confirmed in the permissions list AFTER installation as well. The app also has transmitted very little data and all the data transmitted is within one IP range. So far it shows zero contacts on my phone. The claim that it uses your contact list and your Facebook is distinctly FALSE, it never accessed either of those on my phone.

View attachment 916375

These are the apps on my phone which have permission to access my contacts. As you can see the COVID app is not on that list.

View attachment 916377

Notice the part in the screenshot above where it says "No permissions requested" The only thing it is using is Bluetooth (to check if anyone else with COVID comes close to me).
Thanks for this. How does ypur status of Covid get to the app? And it would be interesting to actually test it... Maybe I should got past the local shopping centre and see if it picks up anyone now that we no longer need to fear getting state quarantined