How a fibre rollout in Strand went wrong

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
How a fibre rollout in Strand went wrong

The day that a fibre network operator lets you know that fibre is coming to your area is a momentous one, and the months it takes for the roll-out to happen are simultaneously exciting and agonising.

That excitement turned to frustration and disappointment for the residents of The Vineyards and Diaz Village in Strand.

"We were very happy when we were approached by Blitz Fibre," the treasurer of The Vineyards told MyBroadband.

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
My area is a grey Octotel area. I have applied for fibre through MWEB, and Octotel are now provisioning. From this article it looks as if I'm looking at fibre for Christmas.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Are these not the peanuts that are now owned by Frogfoot who are owned by Vox.

RedViking

Nord of the South
These are the peanuts that was gonna install in our suburb and complex. They were useless. Made promise after promise. Frogfoot was just as useless honouring the agreement after they took over blitz in 2019, so eventually the contract was chucked out as they didn't honour their agreement.

Eventually Vodacom took over and now we all have Vodacom and paying excessively high fees. But at least we have fibre.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
That sux

And now Frogfoot to the rescue, Yikes. They leave an utter mess behind. They trenched past my place a few months ago and the paving looks terrible, theres also missing tarmac all over the sidewalks, the place looks terrible. And this was months ago. Not sure who is now responsible to clean up, Frogfoot or municipality?

RedViking

Nord of the South
That sux

And now Frogfoot to the rescue, Yikes. They leave an utter mess behind. They trenched past my place a few months ago and the paving looks terrible, theres also missing tarmac all over the sidewalks, the place looks terrible. And this was months ago. Not sure who is now responsible to clean up, Frogfoot or municipality?

The contractors.

So no one because they all sign agreements upon agreements upon agreements.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The contractors.

So no one because they all sign agreements upon agreements upon agreements.

Well, it helps if one has a strong local community whatsapp/telegram/whatever group.

Via that group and the community liason officers all bad or "forgotten" work was dealt with promptly enough, but this trenching thing is a real drag.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Luckily Im not affected directly as I live behind that street so dont physically see it from home. Im on the river, like a hobo

Apogee

If the government had any interest in connecting everyone, they will allow residents to do their own (supervised) trenching.

If a bunch of farm residents in the rural UK could get a 1Gb/s connection established by themselves, it can't be that hard.

https://b4rn.org.uk/

Dpike2787

We at our Complex are going through the same issue However BlitzFIbre completed the fibre installation perfectly 3 months ago and with no issues at all. Our Issues comes in now with Vumatel as they have run the fibre outside the complex and around the area but continue to say that we are not live yet and no paper work has been signed off. However all they need to do is link out complex up to the fibre line on the outside. It is ridiculous that you cannot get any time frames out of Vumatel. Now VUmatel is Blaming Blitzfibre as well as DFA.

Reactions: Jan

Iwojima

Expert Member
I suspect I'm going to be in for the same ride with Blitz. Frogfoot had completed our area several months, Blitz completed the complex about 2 months and yet I can get no answers out of Blitz as to when our go-live date will be. The dates on FF's websites keep getting pushed back every time the current date approaches.

Dpike2787

I suspect I'm going to be in for the same ride with Blitz. Frogfoot had completed our area several months, Blitz completed the complex about 2 months and yet I can get no answers out of Blitz as to when our go-live date will be. The dates on FF's websites keep getting pushed back every time the current date approaches.
I honestly dont think it is BLitzFIbre as they have been extremely Helpful with our COmplex in KZN. It has to do with the actual Fibre Providers Like in our Case Vumatel. As everything has been completed on the outside and inside of the complex but Vumatel quiet and gives me excuses upon excuses everytime. I have Informed Blitzfibre on the latest from Vumatel and the person im dealing with from Blitz is going to investigate on monday as VUmatel Took over SADV and SADV signed off our complex with BLitz but VUmatel says it hasnt been. i will keep everyone updated on my progress. FOrogt to mention that Vumatel has Preorder available on their site but dont give us a date of when we go live.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I have assisted a complex in PE with their Blitz Fibre issues. Blitz had secured their rights to trench the fibre and provide them with internet, but in between the agreement being signed and the trenching completed, Blitz was acquired. Now the backhaul agreements had to go through Frogfoot/Vox instead, and no-one in the area wanted to, or could, provide them with backhaul even though SADV had fibre running past the complex in the other side of the road.

To be clear, Blitz trenched in fibre into this complex BEFORE they could secure backhaul. Several other complexes were also signed up in the same way. I suspect that Blitz was told to go ham on sign-ups once the Vox deal was close to completion.

Blitz ghosted them for weeks on end, only offering sparse excuses. I encouraged the body corp to seek legal redress because the contract they signed was now invalid, and I advised them on how they needed to go about it. Eventually they reconnected with Metrofibre and they will be live sometime this month.

Blitz and Frogfoot can jump in a fire. Vox knows they're doing a terrible job, but they can't be arsed because now they have a captive market stuck in an area where Openserve doesn't offer fibre and DSL is being shut down.

Last edited:

Vorastra

Executive Member
I feel like you should ensure that you already have all the necessary permission before starting a major construction project...?