How a MyBroadband reader cancelled their TV licence

Magnum

Expert Member
Just stop paying them.
Our analog signal was shut down last month or so. When I switched on my TV for GOT is still received the digital signal and displayed the the channel. Don't know if the built in digital tuner can decode local transmissions.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
In a few years there will be a reminder letter of demand for all the unpaid fees. Nobody just cancels a tv license.

Okty

Canceling your tv license is like getting out of the mafia, only trough death... oh wait, they will still bill you and send letters of demand :laugh:

Sollie

Expert Member
In a few years there will be a reminder letter of demand for all the unpaid fees. Nobody just cancels a tv license.
You left out the insurance and tracing fees - when you've never moved at all.

Gamer

Expert Member
I canceled mine a good few years ago, was relatively easy, got a letter of confirmation back from SABC, done deal.

Last edited:

MrR

Expert Member
What happens to the tv licences of all those that have emigrated?

Going through the cancellation process wouldn't even feature on my to do list.

alloytoo

Honorary Master
What happens to the tv licences of all those that have emigrated?
The SABC refuses to refund you the balance of your licence?
Going through the cancellation process wouldn't even feature on my to do list.
Least of your worries who you disposed your tv to.

bettekun

How a MyBroadband reader cancelled their TV licence

South Africans do not enjoy paying their TV licences.

This is especially true if they no longer own a TV. Unfortunately, cancelling a TV licence is about as easy as walking uphill with shoes made of butter.
When my husband passed, the TV licence was in his name as he was a pensioner at that time. Cancelling his licence & moving it to my name was a nightmare. I had to send his death certificate, our marriage licence, my ID, his ID, proof of residence & bank statement. At the time, & in midst of grief, I did manage to say it wasn't a gun licence but a B***y Tv licence. And when I told the call centre agent of his death, there was no "sorry to hear that" or similar just a demand for certified copies of all the docs. A grudge purchase indeed.

eg2505

Honorary Master
isnt paying TV license almost like Paying Etolls?
just another way for a failing system to generate money?

so cancelling Etolls would almost be the same?

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
It's easier to cancel if your TV gets stolen. Just get an affidavit from the police station with your case number stating that the TV was stolen. They accepted that from me back in 2010 when my TV was stolen.

Sollie

Expert Member
It's easier to cancel if your TV gets stolen. Just get an affidavit from the police station with your case number stating that the TV was stolen. They accepted that from me back in 2010 when my TV was stolen.
Give it another few years. The demands will come. TV was stolen 199X. License was on the wife's name. We cancelled it and they accepted, all cool. For years we had no TV or need for one. Then I bought one ~2010 and took out a license. ~2014 they suddenly started sending the wife demands, first on her/our married surname, then her maiden surname. Many fights later, ridiculous demands like the CAS number back in 1994 (I think it was) and telling them to go to hell, it still continues. I really do hope they take us to court, in fact just about begged them. Even considered paying up, then taking them to the small claims court at a stage, but apparently you can't do that with the SABC.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
I had the same experience as the person in the article. Just checked now though, ID number, account number, tv licence number, all say account not found. Hoping that means it's cancelled because I didn't get a payment reminder at the end of 2018 either.