How a real life fibre-to-the-home installation looks

MickeyD

RIP
No trenching?

So how was the fibre linked from the main run (pavement/road) through the first boundary wall?

Cable then rests on top of the wall...

How does it run from the wall to the house?

APoc184

Honorary Master
No trenching?

So how was the fibre linked from the main run (pavement/road) through the first boundary wall?

Perhaps the ran the cable along the wall and then up and through the roof.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
No trenching?

When they put down the fibre in streets each house got a little fiber box on its boundary wall. It is in the pic. From there they drill a hole through the wall and then ran it on top of the boundary wall to the car park roof. There was already a plastic pipe that run cables for the security cams along the roof of car park into the roof. They pulled the fiber all along that same pipe into the roof, then through the roof into the living room where the fiber then found its new home in tv room.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
that is a free connection. and it better than most peoples ADSL at home
View attachment 205984

Is that it? Dissapointing.
Not very impressive now is it? Was expecting at least 50mps
We went for the free 4mbps line. You can go for the super high speed connections but those are more expensive per month and also gets a monthly line rental fee. The 4mbps suits me well. Streams youtube vids with no problem.

MickeyD

RIP
When they put down the fibre in streets each house got a little fiber box on its boundary wall. It is in the pic. From there they drill a hole through the wall and then ran it on top of the boundary wall to the car park roof. There was already a plastic pipe that run cables for the security cams along the roof of car park into the roof. They pulled the fiber all along that same pipe into the roof, then through the roof into the living room where the fiber then found its new home in tv room.
Thanks, Ockie. So the trenching to place the box on your outside wall was done upfront. Good!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Thanks, Ockie. So the trenching to place the box on your outside wall was done upfront. Good!
Yip. So each house got a box installed by default, whether you plan to use it or not, so if you do decide to have it installed, that part is already done.

ngwe23

Executive Member
We went for the free 4mbps line. You can go for the super high speed connections but those are more expensive per month and also gets a monthly line rental fee. The 4mbps suits me well. Streams youtube vids with no problem.
Please clarify on what you mean by "free". Which aspect is free? Surely you pay something.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Please clarify on what you mean by "free". Which aspect is free? Surely you pay something.
Free as in there is no monthly line rental and I dont pay the higher price for the really really fast connection. Just pay R199.00 per month to Vox for unlimited unshaped data.

MickeyD

RIP
He paid a once off installation fee to Vumatel.

He paid a once off installation fee to Vox (which included a modem).

He pays R199/m to Vox for a 4Mbps uncapped data account.

He does NOT pay any further fees for fibre line rental or for a telephone line rental.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
He paid a once off installation fee to Vumatel.

He paid a once off installation fee to Vox (which included a modem).

He pays R199/m to Vox for a 4Mbps uncapped data account.

He does NOT pay any further fees for fibre line rental or for a telephone line rental.
And that's it? I know this is a noob question, but is there now NO reliance on any aspect of Telkom in this setup?? So hopefully in the future I can bin my Telkom ADSL line...

Vegeta

Executive Member
Free as in there is no monthly line rental and I dont pay the higher price for the really really fast connection. Just pay R199.00 per month to Vox for unlimited unshaped data.
/faints

MickeyD

RIP
And that's it? I know this is a noob question, but is there now NO reliance on any aspect of Telkom in this setup?? So hopefully in the future I can bin my Telkom ADSL line...
Quite correct!

If you really, really need a fixed telephone line then you can convert your existing telephone line to prepaid and pay a nominal annual rental for it.

EDIT: Depending on which ISP you choose, you could still be using Telkom IPC but you won't see that.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Quite correct!

If you really, really need a fixed telephone line then you can convert your existing telephone line to prepaid and pay a nominal annual rental for it.
Excellent!

On a side note, Ockie is this you in the pic doing a "dance to the music" jig? :p

Vumatel-FTTH.jpg