How Africa could overtake the world in data science

LaraC

Honorary Master
These opportunities lie particularly in two areas. The first involves creating data science programmes for people who aren’t on campus. The second relates to partnering with governments and businesses to address Africa’s most important societal challenges and capitalise on opportunities for economic growth.
These are obstacles that are not easily overcome. Taking the lead with a handicap requires serious commitment.

cguy

Expert Member
What a load of utter tripe. As the article states, the core of Data Science is maths, Computer Science, statistics, engineering, etc. Before any African country can compete, it needs a high level of competency in all of the above. Between lousy universities and brain drain, I don’t see this happening any time soon.

Messugga

Honorary Master
What a load of utter tripe. As the article states, the core of Data Science is maths, Computer Science, statistics, engineering, etc. Before any African country can compete, it needs a high level of competency in all of the above. Between lousy universities and brain drain, I don’t see this happening any time soon.
Other than that, there isn't even currently that big a market for data scientists. For this to succeed, it will need investment and that means offering value to organisations with money. The appetite in SA simply isn't there yet, when compared to elsewhere.
Hell, my university emailed me with some opportunities a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I'm not far along with my qualification to be eligible, but we were talking being flown out to the US for a few weeks on their dime, as a sort of internship programme but with a six figure salary waiting for you at the end, should they choose to take you on board.
Haven't seen anything close to that in SA.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Same applies to Haiti, Venezuela, North Korea, Burundi...

RedViking

Nord of the South
Nigeria should have all this above.... South Africa.... Nope.