How Alcohol Can Affect Your Immune System

Solarion

Honorary Master
The U.S. surgeon general warned at-risk adults to refrain from drinking. Soon after, the World Health Organization (WHO) also suggested that people cut back on drinking, since alcohol can increase the risk of experiencing complications from COVID-19.

“Alcohol consumption is associated with a range of communicable and noncommunicable diseases and mental health disorders, which can make a person more vulnerable to COVID-19. In particular, alcohol compromises the body’s immune system and increases the risk of adverse health outcomes,” the WHO stated.

Though there’s still limited data on the link between alcohol and COVID-19, past evidence shows alcohol consumption can worsen the outcomes from other respiratory illnesses by damaging the lungs and gut, and impairing the cells responsible for immune function.

Drinking impairs immune cells in key organs

When someone is exposed to a virus, the body mounts an immune response to attack and kill the foreign pathogen.

In general, the healthier a person’s immune system is, the quicker it can clear out a virus and recover from a disease like COVID-19.

By default, alcohol makes it harder for the immune system to gear up and defend the body against harmful germs.

Article

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The above applies to ALL diseases. So why the hype around Covid 19?

smc

Well, no doubt narrowly correct, but ignores the central issue - the need for alcohol to enhance immunity to stress resulting from government stupidity

Aghori

Honorary Master
I drank myself into a hazed delirious stupor literally thousands of times over the decades. Immune system has gotten stronger because all that alcohol killed the bacteri and virii.

B-1

Expert Member
The above applies to ALL diseases. So why the hype around Covid 19?

They could write similar articles about stress, pollution, poor diet etc etc.

Rationale, rationale! My kingdom for some rationale!

Last edited:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I drank myself into a hazed delirious stupor literally thousands of times over the decades. Immune system has gotten stronger because all that alcohol killed the bacteri and virii.

Yup. It's the Norm from Cheers' buffalo theory perfectly illustrated.